Muslim-Briton vs. Briton

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Last week's foiled terror plot was received by the media interestingly. They revealed the British-born men as "Muslims". Yes, their skin is darker and they have ancestors who were born in the Middle East. But they are British citizens. It leads me (Canadian born - ancestry in Canada dates to 1604) to wonder if I committed a terrorist act here in Canada, would the media exclaim, "Frenchman foiled in terorist plot"? I doubt it. Why the double standard? I think the media loves to say the word "muslim". "Muslim" is the new "Communist" you know -- which leads me to believe that a bad government survives on the scapegoat of some entity.

MOVED FROM FOOD AND RECIPE FORUM TO INT. POLITICS; CHANGED TOPIC TITLE

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
RE: Curious

They certainly AREN'T ethnically British, so you can't truthfully call them British.

Edit:

My mother, who is English, would laugh if you called them British.
My grandmother would even moreso.
My grandfather who fought for Great Britain in the war would turn over in his grave.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
Last week's foiled terror plot was received by the media interestingly. They revealed the British-born men as "Muslims". Yes, their skin is darker and they have ancestors who were born in the Middle East. But they are British citizens. It leads me (Canadian born - ancestry in Canada dates to 1604) to wonder if I committed a terrorist act here in Canada, would the media exclaim, "Frenchman foiled in terorist plot"? I doubt it. Why the double standard? I think the media loves to say the word "muslim". "Muslim" is the new "Communist" you know -- which leads me to believe that a bad government survives on the scapegoat of some entity.

If your attempted terrorism was related to the plight of French Canadians they would. And Muslim terrorists are Mulsims, acting in the name of their religion, just as communists were acting to promote communism - not random people killing for no apparent cause.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
If there were hindus blowing up car bombs or attempting to bring explosives on a plane, causing riots in France, calling for the extinction of a race I think that not noticing that all these acts were perpetrated by one religious group would not be honest. If a perpetrator's religious belief has something to do with the crime it is fair to mention it.
Recent acts have been commited by muslims who do not feel like they are part of their adopted society, therefore calling these men britons is not accurate. The vast majority of muslims do not plan or carry out violent actions, but there have been many lately and to not notice this is just willful blindness.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

If a terrorist act is commited by someone other than muslim, it won't be in the front news, only muslim attack are in front news, why? dig a little and you will understand, just look what happened to the anthrax attack, right after 9-11, it is amazingly discusting and outrageous.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
Oddly enough I just looked up the "terrorist acts" of 2006

wiki:

2006: Palestinian terrorists (Hamas) fire Qassam missiles into Israel, especially the cities of Ashkelon and Sderot, and have injured many citizens and caused civilian damage.

January 2: A suicide bomber kills 7 people on a bus in Baquba. [7]
January 5: A suicide bomber in Ramadi blew himself up outside a police station[8]
January 6: More than a hundred people are killed when a suicide bomber detonated near a Shia holy shrine[9][10]
January 8: A suicide bomber targeted an Interior Ministry patrol, and one policeman was killed in the explosion which wounded 7 others [11][12]
January 23: A suicide bomber kills 3 people and injures 7 others near the Iranian embassy in Baghdad. [13]
March 27: A suicide bomber kills 30 to 40 people at a security-forces recruitment center in northern Iraq [14]
April 3: Ten die and 38 are wounded during a suicide truck bomb attack near a Shiite mosque in northeastern Baghdad [15]
April 7: Three suicide bombers target the Baratha mosque in Baghdad, killing 81 people and wounding 160. [16] [17]
April 11: A suicide bomber kills an American soldier in Raweh. [18]
April 17: A suicide car bombing in Ramadi wounds one U.S. Marine. [19]
May 2: Ten people die and six are injured when a suicide bomber explodes near a convoy carrying the governor of Anbar in central Ramadi. [20]
May 3: Suicide bomber kills 16 and wounds 25 at a police recruitment center in Falluja. [21]
May 6: Suicide bomber kills three Iraqi soldiers at a base in Tikrit. [22]
May 7: Suicide bomber kills five and wounds 18 in Karbala. [23]
May 9: A suicide car bombing kills 20 and wounds 37 in Tal Afar. [24]
May 21: A suicide bomber kills 13 and wounds 18 in a restaurant in central Baghdad. [25]
June 11: A suicide car bomb explodes at an Iraqi Army checkpoint in Baquba, killing three Iraqi soldiers and wounding six.
June 16: A suicide bomber slips into a Shiite mosque in Baghdad, killing 11 and wounding 25 during Friday prayers. [26]
June 20: A suicide bomber kills two and injures two in a senior citizens' home in Basra. [27]
June 26: Two Iraqi police commandos die and four people are injured when a suicide bomber explodes at a military checkpoint in western Baghdad. [28]
June 29: A suicide car bomber kills five and wounds at least 31 during a wake for an Iraqi soldier in Kirkuk. [29] [30]
July 12: A suicide bomber blows himself up in a restaurant in southern Baghdad, killing seven and injuring 20. [31]
July 16: A suicide bomber strikes a cafe in Tuz Khurmatu, killing 23 to 26 people. [32] [33]
July 18: A suicide car bomb kills 53 to 59 people and injures more than 100 at a market in Kufa. [34] [35]
July 23: 32 to 34 are killed and 65 to 70 are wounded when a suicide bomber driving a minibus blows it up near a market in Sadr City, Baghdad. [36] [37]
August 1: A suicide car bomber kills at least 10 people and wounds 22 near an Iraqi army convoy in central Baghdad. [38]
August 4: A suicide bomber in a pick-up truck blew up in an athletic field in Hadhar, killing 10 and wounding 12. [39] [40]
August 6: A suicide bomber attacks a funeral in central Tikrit, killing 15 people and injuring 17. [41] [42]
August 7: Nine soldiers die and 10 civilians are injured due to a suicide truck bomb in Samarra. [43]
August 10: A suicide bomber struck a checkpoint near a shrine in Najaf, killing 35 and injuring 122. [44] [45]
August 15: A suicide truck bomber killed nine people and wounded 36 outside the headquarters of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan in Mosul.[46]

February 22: Al Askari Mosque bombing ignites sectarian strife in Iraq.
March 2: Bombing in Karachi, Pakistan kills four, including a U.S. diplomat.
March 3: Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, an Iranian-born graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, drives an SUV onto a crowded part of campus, injuring nine.
March 7: Bombings in the Hindu holy city of Varanasi, India kill 28 and injure more than 100.
March 30: Palestinian suicide bomber kills himself and four others at Kedumim Junction in the West Bank [5][6]
April 11: A suicide bomber explodes himself in Karachi, Pakistan kills 57 Sunni worshippers. [7]
April 17: Sami Hammad, a Palestinian suicide bomber, detonates an explosive device in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing eleven people and injuring 70.
April 24: Bombings at three locations in Dahab, Egypt kill 20 Egyptians, 3 foreigners, and injure 62 others.
May 10: A motorcycle bomb explodes at a marketplace in Pattani, Thailand, killing two women and a police officer. [8]
May 11: Six policemen die and 12 are injured when five bombs go off in a police academy in Quetta, Pakistan [9]
June 15 : The LTTE detonate a claymore mine by a bus carrying 140 civilians in Sri Lanka. 68 civilians, including 10 children and 3 pregnant women, are killed. Approximately 60 civilians are injured.

The 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings June 25: Eliyahu Asheri, an Israeli citizen, was kidnapped and murdered by the Palestinian terrorist group, the Popular Resistance Committees (PRC).
July 9: 40 Sunni civilians are massacred by Shia militants in Baghdad, Iraq.
July 11: A series of explosions rock commuter trains in Mumbai, India, killing at least 200. Approximately 700 civilians are injured.
July 14: Suicide bomber in Karachi, Pakistan kills a Shiite Islamic cleric Allama Hasan Turabi and his nephew.
July 16: Hezbollah rains rockets down on Northern Israel, reaching Haifa and killing eight Israelis at a train depot there.
July 17: Explosions and gunmen kill 48 people in a market in Mahmoudiya, Iraq [10]
July 18: Car bombing near a Shiite shrine in Kufa, Iraq kills 53 and injures 103. [11]
August 4: A suicide car bomber struck a market in Kandahar, Afghanistan killing 21 people
August 10: A major anti-terrorist operation disrupts a bomb plot targeting multiple airplanes flying through Heathrow Airport, near London, UK.

You know there DOES seem to be a common trend here.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Logic 7 said:
If a terrorist act is commited by someone other than muslim, it won't be in the front news, only muslim attack are in front news, why? dig a little and you will understand, just look what happened to the anthrax attack, right after 9-11, it is amazingly discusting and outrageous.

Aeon, do you remember the Air India Bombing? http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/airindia/ Funny, muslims were not responsible for this, yet it is still in the new to this day.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
Last week's foiled terror plot was received by the media interestingly. They revealed the British-born men as "Muslims". Yes, their skin is darker and they have ancestors who were born in the Middle East. But they are British citizens.

But they ARE also still Muslims, no matter what nationality they are.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Logic 7 said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

I think that's because the vast majority of the world's suicide bombers - probably as high as 90% of them - are Muslims. They aren't Hindus, Christians, Sikhs or Jews. They are nearly always Muslims.

But it's not true that only Muslim terror attacks make front page news. Whenever the IRA bombed and killed innocent civilians on the British mainland it always made the front page news.

I also think it's good that only Muslims and people acting suspiciously at airports will be checked thoroughly by security before being allowed on a plane. That's because if we checked ALL of the people going on a plane, it'll take hours for everyone to get onboard and disruptions that Gatwick, Heathrow and other British airports experienced this week would be commonplace. There would be hundreds of people waiting to be checked. Heathrow is the world's busiest airport - 60 million passengers use it every year. So to reduce the risk of Islamic terrorists bombing packed planes out of the sky, British airports should check Muslims more throroughly than any other people. It's not prejudiced. It's just common sense.

If you want to prevent a terrorist attack on a plane, who would you rather be checked? A young, white student going on a trip to South America during his gap year, a little old lady flying to Australia to see her grandchildren or a young Muslim man flying to Pakistan? And when Muslims finally decide to want to stop attacking the West, then they can use our airports more easily.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Re: RE: Muslim-Briton vs. Briton

Graeme said:

wiki:

2006: Palestinian terrorists (Hamas) fire Qassam missiles into Israel, especially the cities of Ashkelon and Sderot, and have injured many citizens and caused civilian damage.

January 5: A suicide bomber in Ramadi blew himself up outside a police station[8]
January 6: More than a hundred people are killed when a suicide bomber detonated near a Shia holy shrine[9][10]
January 8: A suicide bomber targeted an Interior Ministry patrol, and one policeman was killed in the explosion which wounded 7 others [11][12]
January 23: A suicide bomber kills 3 people and injures 7 others near the Iranian embassy in Baghdad. [13]
March 27: A suicide bomber kills 30 to 40 people at a security-forces recruitment center in northern Iraq [14]
April 3: Ten die and 38 are wounded during a suicide truck bomb attack near a Shiite mosque in northeastern Baghdad [15]
April 7: Three suicide bombers target the Baratha mosque in Baghdad, killing 81 people and wounding 160. [16] [17]
May 2: Ten people die and six are injured when a suicide bomber explodes near a convoy carrying the governor of Anbar in central Ramadi. [20]
May 3: Suicide bomber kills 16 and wounds 25 at a police recruitment center in Falluja. [21]
May 21: A suicide bomber kills 13 and wounds 18 in a restaurant in central Baghdad. [25]
June 11: A suicide car bomb explodes at an Iraqi Army checkpoint in Baquba, killing three Iraqi soldiers and wounding six.
June 16: A suicide bomber slips into a Shiite mosque in Baghdad, killing 11 and wounding 25 during Friday prayers. [26]
June 20: A suicide bomber kills two and injures two in a senior citizens' home in Basra. [27]
June 26: Two Iraqi police commandos die and four people are injured when a suicide bomber explodes at a military checkpoint in western Baghdad. [28]
June 29: A suicide car bomber kills five and wounds at least 31 during a wake for an Iraqi soldier in Kirkuk. [29] [30]
July 12: A suicide bomber blows himself up in a restaurant in southern Baghdad, killing seven and injuring 20. [31]
July 16: A suicide bomber strikes a cafe in Tuz Khurmatu, killing 23 to 26 people. [32] [33]
July 18: A suicide car bomb kills 53 to 59 people and injures more than 100 at a market in Kufa. [34] [35]
July 23: 32 to 34 are killed and 65 to 70 are wounded when a suicide bomber driving a minibus blows it up near a market in Sadr City, Baghdad. [36] [37]
August 1: A suicide car bomber kills at least 10 people and wounds 22 near an Iraqi army convoy in central Baghdad. [38]
August 4: A suicide bomber in a pick-up truck blew up in an athletic field in Hadhar, killing 10 and wounding 12. [39] [40]
August 6: A suicide bomber attacks a funeral in central Tikrit, killing 15 people and injuring 17. [41] [42]
August 7: Nine soldiers die and 10 civilians are injured due to a suicide truck bomb in Samarra. [43]
August 10: A suicide bomber struck a checkpoint near a shrine in Najaf, killing 35 and injuring 122. [44] [45]
August 15: A suicide truck bomber killed nine people and wounded 36 outside the headquarters of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan in Mosul.[46]

March 3: Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, an Iranian-born graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, drives an SUV onto a crowded part of campus, injuring nine.
March 7: Bombings in the Hindu holy city of Varanasi, India kill 28 and injure more than 100.
March 30: Palestinian suicide bomber kills himself and four others at Kedumim Junction in the West Bank [5][6]
April 11: A suicide bomber explodes himself in Karachi, Pakistan kills 57 Sunni worshippers. [7]
April 17: Sami Hammad, a Palestinian suicide bomber, detonates an explosive device in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing eleven people and injuring 70.
April 24: Bombings at three locations in Dahab, Egypt kill 20 Egyptians, 3 foreigners, and injure 62 others.
May 10: A motorcycle bomb explodes at a marketplace in Pattani, Thailand, killing two women and a police officer. [8]
May 11: Six policemen die and 12 are injured when five bombs go off in a police academy in Quetta, Pakistan [9]
June 15 : The LTTE detonate a claymore mine by a bus carrying 140 civilians in Sri Lanka. 68 civilians, including 10 children and 3 pregnant women, are killed. Approximately 60 civilians are injured.

The 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings June 25: Eliyahu Asheri, an Israeli citizen, was kidnapped and murdered by the Palestinian terrorist group, the Popular Resistance Committees (PRC).
July 11: A series of explosions rock commuter trains in Mumbai, India, killing at least 200. Approximately 700 civilians are injured.
July 14: Suicide bomber in Karachi, Pakistan kills a Shiite Islamic cleric Allama Hasan Turabi and his nephew.
July 16: Hezbollah rains rockets down on Northern Israel, reaching Haifa and killing eight Israelis at a train depot there.
July 17: Explosions and gunmen kill 48 people in a market in Mahmoudiya, Iraq [10]
July 18: Car bombing near a Shiite shrine in Kufa, Iraq kills 53 and injures 103. [11]
August 4: A suicide car bomber struck a market in Kandahar, Afghanistan killing 21 people
August 10: A major anti-terrorist operation disrupts a bomb plot targeting multiple airplanes flying through Heathrow Airport, near London, UK.

Well at least you can't argue, that for most of those cases, at least Saddam kept the peace in Iraq more so than the U.S. has done. However, good news is, I think Pepsi is now available in Iraq!

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled

Graeme said:

wiki:

The list is incomplete
what is ignored are the acts of STATE TERRORISM commited by rogue nations such as the US and UK

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
rogue nations like the US and UK eh!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

how can you be a rouge nation when you are one of the leaders of the free world.

Also I think we can safely say that motives have a lot to do with the definition of Terrorism in the list above.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
Well at least you can't argue, that for most of those cases, at least Saddam kept the peace in Iraq more so than the U.S. has done. However, good news is, I think Pepsi is now available in Iraq!

Here you go ladies and gentlemen, in the eyes of leftists oppression is equal to keeping the peace. And I think they also have Coke.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled

Graeme said:
rogue nations like the US and UK eh!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

how can you be a rouge nation when you are one of the leaders of the free world.

Also I think we can safely say that motives have a lot to do with the definition of Terrorism in the list above.

You must be joking--leaders of the free world....
They have done more to hobble democrasy worldwide than all other combined---hypocrites

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

Here you go ladies and gentlemen, in the eyes of leftists oppression is equal to keeping the peace. And I think they also have Coke.

I think Saddam was scum, but did he not keep the factions from killing eachother? No agenda here my paranoid friend...just stating facts.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

I think Saddam was scum, but did he not keep the factions from killing eachother? No agenda here my paranoid friend...just stating facts.

Mmmmkay.

Your at least comment suggested living under Saddams rule of oppression is better than today.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

Mmmmkay.

Your at least comment suggested living under Saddams rule of oppression is better than today.

Remove the "at least" wording and you get the same result. Do you always have to play with semantics, Yank?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

Oh yes, instead united the "factions" AKA Muslim septs, against the Kurds. Which Saddam loved to opress......

Sure, Sunnis and shites were all kisses and hugs, but dont forget how the Kurds were treated.

Though, i must admit the scale of Violance is much larger than in the past, things were never to good in iraq.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
DurkaDurka said:
Logic 7 said:

Aeon, do you remember the Air India Bombing? http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/airindia/ Funny, muslims were not responsible for this, yet it is still in the new to this day.

Why people on the other side keeps calling me and others "aeon"that disagree with you? everyone in your city look the same? has the same opinion? everyone has short hair, and says the same? i 've read on aeon's thread, yes i agree with most of what he says, you think he is the only one in the world who think so? travel a bit, talk to peoples and you will understand what i mean.