"Deliberate but Accidental"

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Israel keeps up pressure
Anyone still in southern Lebanon 'is Hezbollah'

Israel vowed yesterday to keep up its military offensive against Hezbollah, as one of the country's senior generals said the air strike that killed four unarmed peacekeepers, including Canadian Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, at a United Nations post on Tuesday was deliberate but accidental.

Brigadier-General Shuki Shahar, deputy chief of the Israeli military's Northern Command, said soldiers in the field had accidentally called in the co-ordinates of the UN base and that the air strike had been approved up the chain of command.

"Sometimes mistakes are made and innocent people are hit," Brig.-Gen. Shahar said. "We do the best we can. We didn't recognize it as their base."

deliberate but accidental

words escape me. :?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: "Deliberate but Accid

uhhhhhh.... Okay, well....

You sure this isn't from the Onion or something??

Wonder if we could get any more clarity on this sucker, cos that literally makes NO sense- I always thought you either had to eat the cake, or save the cake for later, but apparently if you're a belligerent bully you most certainly CAN have both

What kind of idiotic bullcrap IS that even???

I'm gonna save that expression for next time I get caught doing something I shouldn't, cos if that gets ANYONE off the hook..... man, I don't even know what to say, looks like words have escaped me too, sorry for the brain-burp :D

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
yes the language of war

deliberate but accidental is a variation of orwells
war is peace

the next time anyone critizes me for doing anything from farting to lying--- ill just glibely state

fuzzylogic has a right to exist
fuzzylogic has a right to self defense

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I'm speechless about this. In the interests of remaining civil, I really am speechless. :evil:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As to why they deliberately knocked out a UN Listening post, I am guessing that it was hindering troop movements in some way & that the Israelis were doing something that might be disapproved of by the UN.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Ireland, China and Finland are not going to let this rest gracefully.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
And Harper is asking why UN soldiers were still there? Our prime minister is a disgrace.
"Deliberate but Accidental" makes as much sense as "Friendly Fire". It seems the Canadian government doesn't care that a Canadian was murdered by their allies.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh, don't be ridiculous.

We need to get our troops out from under UN command. They are notoriously incompetent when the shooting starts.

Remember the Belgian paras in Rwanda?

Remember Srebreniza?

You should read Lewis MacKenzie's book about serving under UN control. Or Romeo D'Allaire's, although for some deep-steated neurotic reason he remais a UN supporter.

Un troops are controled by bureaucrats in NY who don't know a thing about the situation, and are just plain uncaring, and stupid.

There was NO reason for there to be a peacekeeping outpost in a place where there WAS NO PEACE TO KEEP!

Is that so hard to understand?

These guys should have been withdrawn 10 days ago. That they weren't is a fault that lies squarely at the feet of the UN>

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
they weren't peacekeepers. they were OBSERVERS doing exactly the job they were supposed to be doing at exactly the time they were most needed.

Harper's comment was totally ignorant and obviously fed to him.

Don't forget who told them to stay put that day.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
from the CBC letters...

As a Canadian soldier I would like to comment on the issue of why these UN observers were not withdrawn from their dangerous post when the Israeli / Hezbolla fighting erupted.

It is precisely when fighting is going on that observers are most needed. Observation posts like the one struck by the Israeli weapon permit the UN to have its own eyes on the ground, providing unbiased and timely reporting on the fighting, and serving to deter the worst excesses of war.

While there was a real risk in leaving the soldiers at their post in the middle of a battle, the post included a bunker which would have provided good protection against anything but the direct hit which in fact occurred.

Like all soldiers, UN observers may be required to risk their lives in the performance of their duties. That these men paid the ultimate price is deeply saddening, but I suspect that, as soldiers, they would have been proud to be at their post. To suggest that their duties there were frivolous or unnecessary diminishes their sacrifice.

Raymond Farrell | TaeJeon, South Korea

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: "Deliberate but Accidental"

BitWhys said:
they weren't peacekeepers. they were OBSERVERS doing exactly the job they were supposed to be doing at exactly the time they were most needed.

Harper's comment was totally ignorant and obviously fed to him.

Don't forget who told them to stay put that day.

What were they observing? Incoming Israeli shells obviously.

They were doing their duty, obeying orders. I don't know (thank God) but I have read that the most terrifying thing on earth is sitting helpless under a barrage.

It is obviously their commander's fault they were there. They served NO USEFUL PURPOSE. The UN folks who left them out there exposed are at fault.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: "Deliberate but Accidental"

Colpy said:
It is obviously their commander's fault they were there...

ISRAEL told them to STAY WHERE THEY WERE, promised they wouldn't get hurt, called in the hit from the field, cleared the hit at command, aimed with precision weaponry and hit EXACTLY what they were aiming for.

That's one hell of a construction of the word "accident" Israel has going for them.

just thought I'd mention it.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
I think you are tilting a bit in that characterization. Israel told them they would be safer in their post than on patrol. Which is true if not for the mishap.

You now have the explanation of what went wrong in the field. Obviously the original mistake of calling in the coordinates and not being caught when they were cleared by the personel above.

This is not a case of intentional targetting. It is a screwup. You know they happen all the time in warzones.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
That excuse is ridicules. If it were Iran or Syria and they offered that excuse, would it be acceptable? No it wouldn't. And it shouldn't be acceptable for Israel.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Gonzo said:
That excuse is ridicules. If it were Iran or Syria and they offered that excuse, would it be acceptable? No it wouldn't. And it shouldn't be acceptable for Israel.

So they tell us what happened and that shouldn't be acceptable. Tell me what you think really happend, and what could they say that would satisfy you?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It seems the Canadian government doesn't care that a Canadian was murdered by their allies.

Israel is only an ally to Israel, and to the U.S. if they keep the money and weapons coming. Ever hear of Israel providing aid to anyone?

link

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Are you saying it is acceptable to bomb UN observers, even though they warned Israel 10 times of their location? I think Israel bombed the UN observer post because they didn't want the UN to see their use of phosphorus incendiary bombs, banned by the Geneva convention.
What I am saying is an apology doesn't make it okay. There's nothing Israel could say that would make it okay. If Syria or Lebanon or Iran bombed a UN observer post they'd face serious repercussions. There's nothing any country can say that should be satisfactory for bombing innocent people. The only satisfactory action would be to stop doing it. Words are meaningless.
Hezbollah is just as guilty as Israel of killing innocent people, only on a smaller scale. They are not a country, and they're not backed by the U.S. and Canada.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
you are all foregeting that isreal , like the US and UK---can do whatever they wish--and are always RIGHT--

whats the matter with you guys

know your place!

*sarcasm*