Common lies in the Lebanon war debates.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
During this conflict I have seen the same intellectually dishonest comments repeated over and over again usually by the bleeding hearts club. Most of these are assertions are blatantly untrue and they are repeated over and over again. Is it ignorance or dishonesty while trying to prove their point. I don't know. But after pointing out correct info and seeing the same people make the same claims, I think dishonesty is a bigger factor. Is it be possible for bleeding hearts to speak to the topic at all without resorting to obvious misrepresentations?

1: Israel is purposefully targetting civilians.

It should be obvious to any remotely unbiased observer, this is not the case. If this were the case casualties would be orders of magnitude higher (100 of thousands rather than thousands). Israel is using weapons designed for taking out infrastructure not the shrapnel bombs that it's enemy is using, which are targeted at doing people damage rather than equipment damage. Look at Darfur and Rwanda to see what casulties are like when it is purposeful. Casualties here are actually very low.

2: Israel is engaged in Indiscriminate attacks. Again falacious. One of the best trained armies on earth. The are very discriminating, targets are planned before planes launch. There is a pattern of attack. There is actually some loss of efficiency as warning leaflets to civilians also let terrorists know when to relocate. So indiscriminate attacks seems an outright lie here. Same as the above.

3: Israel is targeting civillian infrastructure that has no military value.

Again it should be obvious, but infrastructure targets (bridges, roads, power, radar, airports, fuel depots) are all attacked in every war where they actually existed. These are common military targets. Look up what nato allies (including Canada) bombed in Yugoslavia. Israel is not hitting any unusual targets. These are all fair game military targets.
Some tidbits from wikipedia about kosovo raids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Allied_Force
"Strategic targets such as bridges and factories were also bombed, particularly in the later stages of the conflict. Long-range cruise missiles were used to hit a number of heavily defended targets such as strategic installations in Belgrade and Pristina. Civilian installations such as power plants,water processing plants and the state-owned broadcaster were also intentionally targeted."
"The Canadian Airforce deployed CF-18s which were responsible for 10% of all bombs dropped. "
"As far as the civilian casualties go, estimates range between 2500-5000 people. That includes Serbian & Albanian civilians killed by NATO bombs, both intentional and misguided by satellite & GPS system."

4: The disproportionate nonsense. Ex "Are you saying that killing over two hundred men, women, and children, and injuring God knows how many, is a reasonable response to two soldiers being kidnapped?"

The is basic cluelessness or straight on dishonesty. Considering the number of times people have pointed out that this was obviously a trigger event for war, and once enjoined the goal becomes eliminating the threat, it looks like basic dishonesty to ask this question. It is like saying is the death of millions of people a reasonable response to the murder of one Austrian heir? (see shot heard around the world) This war was inevitable, this was just the flashpoint where it ignited.

Injecting a a little reality into peacenik fantasy land. There are two choices here now that battle is joined. 1 - Cripple Hezbollah to the point that they are irrellevant, 2 - Stop short and end up doing this again in a few years down the road. It should be obvious that once going down the road, option 1 is the preferred course of action.

It is a tragedy that Lebanon is getting the crap knocked out of it after it was finally coming back after the last time militants wrecked the country when the PLO became a big player in Lebanons Civil war and later when the PLO got into it with Israel. The best outcome for everyone is the removal of Hezbollah. Only Israel seems capable of doing this and in reality there will be a price to be paid. That is the unfortunate way reality works.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Re: Lebanon war shows clueless dishonesty of bleeding hearts

The shocking silence from No 10

Mary Ann Sieghart
The Times

Blair’s tacit support for Israel’s grossly disproportionate actions sends the wrong message

IT IS A CASE of the Blair that didn’t bark. Why hasn’t the Prime Minister publicly condemned the Israeli attacks on Lebanon and Gaza? Most British — and many Israeli — citizens are horrified when they see the devastation wreaked by Israeli bombings. There were 80 such raids in the early hours of yesterday alone. By late afternoon, some 327 civilians had died in Lebanon, compared with 34 Israelis. Go figure, as they say.

If this is a proportionate response, I’m a satsuma. Even the most hardline supporters of Israel, who justifiably point to the country’s right to defend itself against attacks from Hezbollah, must by now have come to realise that the “overkill” will have the opposite of its desired effect. For every member of Hezbollah who dies, another ten will be recruited to its cause. The world will be full of sympathy for the benighted residents of Lebanon who had thought, at last, that their country had secured itself a stable, peaceful democratic future. Half a million of them have been forced from their homes because two Israeli soldiers were taken hostage. That hardly looks like justice.

Meanwhile, a forgotten war is taking place in Gaza, overshadowed by the bigger one in Lebanon. Since Israel began its hostilities there, three weeks ago, some 110 Palestinians have lost their lives and countless more have been injured, while just one Israeli has died. The civilian infrastructure has been trashed. And all this just as the Hamas Government and the Fatah party had at last agreed on a formula for peace negotiations. What chance of peace now?

Mr Blair, by his silence, seems to be endorsing the US line: allow Israel at least another week to take action against Hezbollah before any calls for a ceasefire are made. He would doubtless argue that, unless he is supportive of the Israelis publicly, he will have no traction with them privately. Yet there are two big problems with this approach.

First, the UK has little traction with Israel anyway. Mr Blair had a frank private conversation with the Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert, when he visited Britain last month. It doesn’t seem to have done much good.

Secondly, and more importantly, Mr Blair’s silence is sending a strong message to the world’s — and particularly Britain’s — Muslim community. By failing to condemn Israel’s overreaction, he is allying himself with those acts. What more powerful ammunition could there be for the radicalisers of Britain’s young Muslims? “Your Government doesn’t care about you and your fellow believers. You need to take action to defend them in this noble cause.”

It is a terrifying prospect. Mr Blair is endangering our nation’s internal security by his reluctance to move a millimetre from the US stance. Even if he is engaging in private diplomacy with Israel, it is not without serious costs to the rest of us. Long after he leaves government, we may be paying the price.

At yesterday’s Cabinet meeting, there was some disquiet about the official line. Some ministers are wondering whether it was wise to move Jack Straw from the Foreign Office at the reshuffle. For, had he stayed, the British response to the Middle East crisis might have been more nuanced.

Mr Blair and Mr Straw used to play a clever triangulating game. The Prime Minister would sound more pro-Israeli, the Foreign Secretary more pro-Arab. They used the same tactic with Iran. This positively suited the US sometimes, as it allowed Mr Straw to follow avenues that were not open to Condoleezza Rice.

Margaret Beckett, though, is not experienced enough either to make her voice heard internationally or to strike out on her own, as Mr Straw used to. It is a great lost opportunity.

Instead, yesterday, she just parroted the US line, refusing to condemn Israel despite being urged to do so by members on all sides of the House.

The danger of the current situation is that Gaza and southern Lebanon risk becoming another Iraq, with their populations radicalised and their governments unable to restrain the terrorists even if they wanted to. The conflict could even bring together Hamas and Hezbollah, who currently have little in common apart from their opposition to Israel. Hamas is made up of Sunni Muslims; Hezbollah of Shias. But united, they would make a formidably dangerous grouping on Israel’s doorstep.

Mr Blair should be saying all this to Mr Olmert, on the record. Britain could be acting as Israel’s critical friend, representing not just the outside world’s fears for the region, but also the half of Israel’s population who believe that their country has been going too far.

He could point out that the “eye for an eye” doctrine of the Old Testament was not a vengeful prescription but was designed precisely to restrict vengeance to that which was proportionate. The verse did not ordain ten eyes for one eye, which is the ratio the Israelis are currently pursuing.

The War on Terror is too easy a pretext for Israel to hide behind. It does not give free licence for a state to bombard the innocent citizens of another in the hope that a few terrorists might be killed in the process. Imagine if we had bombed Dublin in the same way, with more than 300 deaths in a week and half a million people displaced. That would surely have been seen as a war crime.

Mr Blair has moved too swiftly from defending Israel’s right to exist to supporting Israel right or wrong. It is bad for the Middle East and it is dangerous for Britain. He ought to know better.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1071-2279230,00.html

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
RE: Lebanon war shows clueless dishonesty of bleeding hearts

I long for a paper with a proud front page banner: All the News but the Mid-East. Enjoy!

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

An interesting way of trying to discredit a view one does not agree with. Also demonstrates quite a profound level of ignorance of the middle east conflict. Kind of Ann Coulter 101 in meaningless polemics.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0720/dailyUpdate.html

In a strongly worded warning to the leaders of both the militant group Hizbullah and Israel, United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Louise Arbour threatened the "perpetrators of wanton violence against civilians in the current Middle East conflict with liability for war crimes."

Jurist, the legal news website, reports that Ms. Arbour, a former Canadian Supreme Court Justice and war crimes prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia issued a "pointed" statement aimed directly at the two combatants and their leaders.

Indiscriminate shelling of cities constitutes a foreseeable and unacceptable targeting of civilians. Similarly, the bombardment of sites with alleged military significance, but resulting invariably in the killing of innocent civilians, is unjustifiable. International humanitarian law is clear on the supreme obligation to protect civilians during hostilities. This obligation is also expressed in international criminal law, which defines war crimes and crimes against humanity. International law demands accountability. The scale of the killings in the region, and their predictability, could engage the personal criminal responsibility of those involved, particularly those in a position of command and control.

The Australian reports that although Arbour

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

gopher said:
The shocking silence from No 10

Mary Ann Sieghart
The Times

Unless your name is Mary Ann, I will take this as an admission that you lack any original thought and are only capable of block copying.

This seems to be another favorite bleeding heart tactic. Block copy tons of junk into the post to bury original thought that they don't like.

Ignorance, lies and attempts to bury ideas with copied bullshit. Great scorecard for the bleeding heart bankruptcy of thought.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

I'm going to have to go with Freethinker on this one. While I harbour no illusions about civilians being killed by Israel, that IS war sadly. You cannot negate civilian casualties in an urban environment, it's just not possible. The Israeli Defence Force is one of the best trained, best equipped, and most urban-warfare hardened forces on the planet. They exercise clear restraint in their military actions and as Freethinker pointed out, casualties could be MUCH higher than they are if Israel was truely targeting civilians.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks

Some would have us believe that Israel is running around the middle east in an imperialistic murder-fest with no care for women and children. Why would Israel leave gaza only to occupy it and the pull back from Lebanon only to swoop in six years later to conquer it and kill it's civilians.
Israel has always shown a willingness to offer peace it gave back the sinai...twice. and signed peace deals with Jordan and Egypt. Since then there have been no hostilities between theses countries.
Syria continues to be the pissy little agressor but has yet pay the price for it's stance. An independent Lebanon and a non-agressive Syria would go along way to cooling the region down.The palestinians would do well to start to build something lest their great grand-children still be fighting this stupid fight.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

It's clear that Israel is doing what it can to stay focussed on its primary target: Hezbollah. It can't be credibly faulted for civilian losses sustained in trying to rout the terrorist organization. As long as Hezbollah works openly in Lebanese society, without the burden of military dress or insignia, anyone attempting to dislodge the group faces formidable challenges. Israel will be criticized but if the shoe was on the other foot, none of us could escape identical charges.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Freethinker

What you are doing is pre-labelling any who dissagree with you as "cluelessly dishonest bleeding hearts". On these forums, we allow anyone to have an opinion but we take exception to name calling.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

I labelling behaviors, that I see repeated again and again. If you repeatedly claim in the face of contradictory information that black is white. It can only be clulessness or dishonesty.

These are essentially the repeated lies I see.

Don't like it. Do something about it. Change the title, ban me. This place is circling the bowl anyway.

Edit: I have changed the title on the first post.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
I have my own extremely strong personal opinions about this issue. I am going to keep them to myself and, instead, pick up my Admin wizzie stick to make a comment or two.

First of all, these issues are deeply personal to anyone who feels moved to sit at a keyboard and take the time to share them. I think the broader the spectrum of views we get, the better. That means I'm going to look at some of the posts and wonder whether the poster was drunk when they made the comments or if they are really the sort of person I'd cross the room to avoid at a cocktail party. I'll look at others, see the validity of their logic, appreciate the work they put into research and, sometimes, that will change my perspective. Other times it serves only to reinforce my own views.

Forums are exactly for this sort of thing. The post by Freethinker makes me wonder if maybe s/he isn't taking this a tad too personally? You have your right to think whatever you like. What you don't have the right to do is insult anyone else, no matter how differing their opinions are from yours.

We all need to make sure we are attacking IDEAS and not people. Once someone has to resort to name calling, they've lost the debate. Period. If you can't muster up a good argument against the concept, then either concede defeat or just wander off to the joke section and lighten up for a while.

Zero tolerance on personal attacks means just that. It doesn't mean anyone has to believe any certain way, only that they must behave in a certain manner .... in a civil, polite, manner. Not exactly asking for the moon and stars here, folks.

So debate on. I will moderate this forum personally for the time being. And ya ... I'm still cranky so please, please play nice!

Martyr

Jul 21, 2006
O-Town, The "CAPITAL"
It's really becoming obvious to me that these posts can't possibly be written by anyone who actually has Israeli or Lebanese friends. Am I wrong???

Almost everything thats posted is being linked to some form of media as well??? Have we forgotten how much crap the media delivers??? There is censorship on these media releases too. Do you really believe that Israel's casualties are that low???(Come on!)

Also did you know that there are "Rules for War"?

Ponder a little, I need rootbeer,
the Martyr

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure if this fits into this discussion or how accurate it is, but I thought I'd throw it out to see what people think:

BBC Admits Many Lebanese Casualties are Terrorists
15:22 Jul 23, '06 / 27 Tammuz 5766

(IsraelNN.com) The British Broadcasting Corp. (BBC) has admitted that many of the victims of Israeli retaliation in Lebanon are terrorists and not innocent civilians. A BBC reporter said he saw Hizbullah terrorists using a private home and added, "It is difficult to quantify who is a terrorist and who is a civilian."

Media reports have emphasized that Israeli air strikes have killed more than 350 Lebanese civilians, prompting accusations that the IDF is carrying out "collective punishment" on the country.

link

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
RE: Common lies in the Le

That argument doesn't hold water -- if it is OK to continue the campaign of murder because "terrorists" have also been killed, that argument could be used to "justify" Hitler's demented campaign because it, too, killed what were perceived to be "terrorists".

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Yep, that's it. Disagree with something, compare it to the Nazi's.

Every conflict generates casualties. As mentioned in the first post. NATO bombed all the same targets in Kosovo, that Israel is going after, and killed 2500-5000 civilians.

Was that OK? If so, why do the peaceniks consider it a "war crime" when Israel does the same thing?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
RE: Common lies in the Le

Ah, so? Then why compare anyone who disagrees with Bush with "leftists"????? This despite the fact that I have posted numerous links that show how patriotic right wingers such as Pat Buchanan and William F Buckley have also criticized this criminal war upon the Middle East?

Criticize Middle Easterners for defending themselves from Zionist genocidal imperialism? You might as well criticize George Washington for his patriotism.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Can you say anything without the over the top strident rhetoric? Genocidal Imperialism? They are not trying to wipe out anyone, or take over any new territory. All they want is to get Hezbollah off their border. They have already asked for a internation peace force. It doesn't line up with your claims.

I hardly compare anyone who disagrees with Bush as a leftist. I don't like Bush and I am politically Left.

You are batting just about zero.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Common lies in the Le

gopher said:
Ah, so? Then why compare anyone who disagrees with Bush with "leftists"????? This despite the fact that I have posted numerous links that show how patriotic right wingers such as Pat Buchanan and William F Buckley have also criticized this criminal war upon the Middle East?

Criticize Middle Easterners for defending themselves from Zionist genocidal imperialism? You might as well criticize George Washington for his patriotism.

So, what exactly would you have Israel do?

Hezbollah is launching rockets into Israel.

Should Israel withdraw and just take it?

Hezbollah holds two Israeli soldiers.

Should Israel abandon them?

Hezbollah threatens Israel daily along her northern border, even though Lebanon has NO sane territorial claim against Israel.

Should Israel allow Hezbollah to continue occassional cross-border raids and missile attacks even after a cease-fire?

ISRAEL DID NOT START THIS!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Common lies in the Le

gopher said:
That argument doesn't hold water -- if it is OK to continue the campaign of murder because "terrorists" have also been killed, that argument could be used to "justify" Hitler's demented campaign because it, too, killed what were perceived to be "terrorists".

Would you argue that Hitler should not have been stopped? Would you argue that the bombing of Germany, which killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of civilians should not have happened?