Amnesty International: israel deliberate attacks a war crime

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/document.do?id=ENGMDE150612006

Israel/Occupied Territories: Deliberate attacks a war crime
Deliberate attacks by Israeli forces against civilian property and infrastructure in the Gaza Strip violate international humanitarian law and constitute war crimes, Amnesty International said today.

"Israel must now take urgent measures to remedy the long-term damage it has caused and immediately restore the supply -- at its own cost -- of electricity and water to the Palestinian population in the affected areas," urged the organization. "As the occupying power, Israel is bound under international law to protect and safeguard the basic human rights of the Palestinian population."

The deliberate destruction of the Gaza Strip’s only electricity power station, water networks, bridges, roads and other infrastructure is a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention and has major and long-term humanitarian consequences for the 1.5 million inhabitants of the Gaza Strip.

Almost half of Gaza’s inhabitants are now without electricity and water supplies have also been cut in several areas both by the lack of electricity, necessary to operate the water pumps used to extract and deliver water, and by the destruction of water mains as a result of the bombings of bridges and roads.

The extensive damage caused by Israeli artillery and air strikes against these facilities in recent days is estimated at several millions of US dollars and will require months of work to repair. Unless alternative emergency measures are promptly put in place to restore electricity and water supply the consequences could be dire for the health of the Palestinian population.

In a statement the Israeli army said that it had: “…carried out an aerial attack on an electricity transformer station south of Gaza city….” and that “ The IDF will continue to employ all means at its disposal against Palestinian terrorist infrastructure in the Gaza Strip in order to ensure the quick and safe return home of Corporal Gilad Shalit.”

The destruction by Israeli forces of bridges and roads is slowing down, but not preventing movement between different areas of the Gaza Strip. It is likely to cause severe restrictions on movement during the rainy season in a few months time. At present, it causes disruption to Palestinians civilians, who have to take long detours to reach their workplace, but it does not prevent the movements of armed groups – Israel’s stated objective.

As the tension between Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA) and armed groups continues to mount, there is growing concern for the safety of the civilian population. High numbers of Palestinian bystanders, including women and children, have been killed and injured by Israeli artillery shelling and air strikes in recent weeks and months. This situation looks set to worsen in light of the end of the unilateral cease-fire which the armed wing of Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups had been observing since last year.

"The hostage-taking of Corporal Gilad Shalit, and the killing of Eliyahu Asheri, the 18 year old settler, by Palestinian armed groups violate fundamental principles of international law. Corporal Gilad Shalit should be released immediately and unharmed."

"Both sides to this current stand-off should refrain from taking actions which violate international law and should take steps to provide redress for the abuses they have committed. The international community, also has an obligation under the Geneva Conventions, to act," said Amnesty International.

Notes to Editors
According to the Fourth Geneva Convention, "collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited" (article 33) as is the destruction of private or public property, "except where such destruction is rendered absolutely necessar by military operations" (Article 53). The Convention requires all states party to it to search for and ensure the prosectution of perpetrators of the war crime of "causing extensive destrucdtion ... not justified by military necessity and carried out unlawfully and wantonly". "Intentionally directing attacks against civilian objects" is also a war crime under Article 8 (b) (ii) of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.

Strange that no Major media, talks about this fact.Shame on the West, and badly this time.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
RE: Amnesty International: israel deliberate attacks a war c

I don't think Amnesty International has much credibility beyond its sycophantic inner circle. Same thing with the ACLU. I consider both organizations a tenacious bunch of oddballs.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I have some sympathy with Amnesty International, and I think they have done great good works.

They are, however, completely screwed on this one: they refer to Israel as the "occupying power" when Israel has NOT occupied the Gaza Stip for a year.

Edited to say:

And WHO in the world gives a damn about "international law"?
Not I.
I might care about justice, or genocide, or a number of other things, but I simply can't work up a sweat over uninforcible, unevenly applied, and nonsensical international laws.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

Well, AI, with its ridiculous and publicly expensive charades like that which occurred in Canada years ago over one brutal torturer-murderer named Charles Ng (and his extradition to the US), has not enamoured itself with many Canadians. AI is only interested in its point of view. And getting it embedded in as many jurisdictions as possible. It couldn't give a fig for the democratic aspirations of any people or their desire to create justice systems that demonstrably reflect their values.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Amnesty International: israel deliberate attacks a w

Colpy said:
I have some sympathy with Amnesty International, and I think they have done great good works.

They are, however, completely screwed on this one: they refer to Israel as the "occupying power" when Israel has NOT occupied the Gaza Stip for a year.

Edited to say:

And WHO in the world gives a damn about "international law"?
Not I.
I might care about justice, or genocide, or a number of other things, but I simply can't work up a sweat over uninforcible, unevenly applied, and nonsensical international laws.

Israel are right now re-occupying some part in gaza, therefore they are occupier, nice try to discredit their claim.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: Amnesty International: israel deliberate attacks a war c

aeon said:

This situation looks set to worsen in light of the end of the unilateral cease-fire which the armed wing of Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups had been observing since last year.

:laughing3: 8O :laughing2:

Amnesty's definition of unilateral ceasefire - shooting an average of three rockets a day at civilian targets.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Ah. I suppose then this idiotic leftist Amnesty International has absolutely no problems with those in the Gaza Strip firing rockets into the Israeli civilian population? No doubt the morons believe the Israelis should just sit back and allow their people to be murdered by those Palestinians firing those rockets? Amnesty International tends to look the other way when Israeli civilians are murdered on a daily basis but whoa! Watch out when the Israelis seek to defend themselves. Someone needs to tell Amnesty International that there is a reason why they are called the Israeli Defence Force! Israel has a right to protect her own people and the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip found to be murdering those Israeli civilians must learn to expect consequences for their actions.

Allow me to put things into perspective. Imagine for one moment Americans in Buffalo firing explosive rockets into Toronto thus killing many Canadians. You would expect the Canadian Forces to just sit there and do nothing? Hell no! I would expect to see our Leopard I tanks and RCAF CF-18 Hornets to be pounding Buffalo into so much rubble! I quite wonder if any of you Canadians who live in Toronto would just sit there upon your hands and state that you have no problem with your family being murdered by those individuals from Buffalo? What? No? I thought not. So why do you expect the Israelis to sit there and do nothing?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Just the Facts said:
aeon said:

This situation looks set to worsen in light of the end of the unilateral cease-fire which the armed wing of Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups had been observing since last year.

Amnesty's definition of unilateral ceasefire - shooting an average of three rockets a day at civilian targets.

How many dead peoples from those rockets fired?

how many houses has been destroyed at the same time by those rockets??

How much damage has been done by those rockets?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

aeon said:
Just the Facts said:
aeon said:

Not a word about those statistics from Amnesty International. I have never seen any statistics to this effect. Why? When it is the Palestinians who are hit we see endless statistics showing how many of them were killed by Israeli weaponry but when it is the Israelis who are hit, there is not a single statistic. I have never in all my years read anything regarding Israeli civilian casualties. Why? The only time they mention this is when it is a Palestinian terrorist (suicide-bomber) who strikes within Israel. Is the left-wing media stating that it is alright to blow up Israelis from outside Israel proper but not within the borders of Israel as if there is a difference? The results are the same: dead Israeli civilians.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

SaintLucifer said:
Not a word about those statistics from Amnesty International. I have never seen any statistics to this effect. Why? When it is the Palestinians who are hit we see endless statistics showing how many of them were killed by Israeli weaponry but when it is the Israelis who are hit, there is not a single statistic. I have never in all my years read anything regarding Israeli civilian casualties. Why? The only time they mention this is when it is a Palestinian terrorist (suicide-bomber) who strikes within Israel. Is the left-wing media stating that it is alright to blow up Israelis from outside Israel proper but not within the borders of Israel as if there is a difference? The results are the same: dead Israeli civilians.

This report was about the deliberate attack by israel, not the rockets being shot at israel, they didnt report all statistic from this conflict from palestinians, they only talk about what israel just did.I guess you forgot to read this .

"The hostage-taking of Corporal Gilad Shalit, and the killing of Eliyahu Asheri, the 18 year old settler, by Palestinian armed groups violate fundamental principles of international law. Corporal Gilad Shalit should be released immediately and unharmed."

"Both sides to this current stand-off should refrain from taking actions which violate international law and should take steps to provide redress for the abuses they have committed. The international community, also has an obligation under the Geneva Conventions, to act," said Amnesty International.

Here is another report who talks about both sides statistics, nice try.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4580139.stm

Amnesty International has accused Israel of committing war crimes in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip.
The rights group's report for 2004 says Israeli forces have killed some 700 Palestinians - including 150 children - mostly in unlawful circumstances.

The report says Palestinian armed groups killed 109 Israelis, including 59 civilians and eight children, in suicide bombings, shootings and mortar attacks.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

aeon said:
Just the Facts said:
aeon said:

By your logic Aeon, I would have to wait until a criminal that was a bad shot fired at me, missed several times, reloaded, fired some more, and ONLY AFTER I was hit could I return fire.

That is silly.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Colpy said:
By your logic Aeon, I would have to wait until a criminal that was a bad shot fired at me, missed several times, reloaded, fired some more, and ONLY AFTER I was hit could I return fire.

That is silly.

Well in that logic, you forgot a tremendous detail, that you are the one who is responsible for his situation, you give him no human rights, his freedom is limited, and you treat this guy like an animal, maybe you should start to think how you threat peoples, then no one will try to hit you with old-hand made technologie guns-rockets, that hit his target 0.02% of the time.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan

By firing rockets into Israel from areas surronded by Palestinian "civilians" The "freedom fighters" are as guilty as the Israeli who lobs a main tank round back at the launch site

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

aeon said:
Colpy said:

That is silly.

Well in that logic, you forgot a tremendous detail, that you are the one who is responsible for his situation, you give him no human rights, his freedom is limited, and you treat this guy like an animal, maybe you should start to think how you threat peoples, then no one will try to hit you with old-hand made technologie guns-rockets, that hit his target 0.02% of the time.

No human rights? His freedom is limited? Where do you think a majority of these Palestinians work? In the Gaza Strip? You must be kidding me. They work in Israel proper. It is the Israelis who supply the Palestinians with jobs. It is the Israelis who collect the taxes for the Palestinians and distribute them to Palestinian territories. If they had 'no human rights' or their 'freedom is limited' the Israelis would completely bar Palestinians from working in Israel and refrain from collecting taxes for the Palestinians. Even if the Israelis decided to disallow Palestinians from having jobs in Israel and decided not to hand cash over to them as they currently do this would still not be considered inhuman is Israelis are free to do whatever they wish within their own borders. I find it odd that Palestinians would bite the hand that feeds them. If the Israelis so desired, they could easily encircle all Palestinian 'territories' and blockade them into submission. They do not do this because they know lefties like yourself would scream bloody murder even if it is the right of the Israelis to do this in their efforts to protect their own people.

You must remember one important fact: the Palestinians have vowed to push the Israelis into the sea, even after they were granted self-rule and statehood. Does this sound like non-retarded people you would want to associate yourself with? Every time there is a ceasefire the Palestinians continually break it. This infuriates the Israelis who are honestly attempting to grant Palestinians full statehood. Is it not interesting to see Palestinians who refuse to accept Israel's right to exist happily accepting cash from Israeli businesses for their labour? This is hypocrisy of the grandest order. They will not accept Israel's right to exist but they will gladly accept the very cash that keeps them alive. This is why Palestinians are complete nutcases.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

aeon said:
Just the Facts said:
aeon said:

Fortunately less dead people than there could have been. Not none, though. Lots of injuries too. And lots of damage to houses and schools. The attacks having been less successful (murderous) than the attackers would have liked doesn't make it any less abominable. If you shoot at me and miss, it's still attempted murder. What is Israel supposed to do, sit around and wait for the Palestinians to improve their aim. Plus they're getting better rockets from Iran already.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

thomaska said:
By firing rockets into Israel from areas surronded by Palestinian "civilians" The "freedom fighters" are as guilty as the Israeli who lobs a main tank round back at the launch site

What do you mean 'freedom fighters'? What exactly are they fighting for? They are already 'free'. The Gaza Strip is theirs. They are firing from the Gaza Strip so what exactly are they fighting to be free of? Most puzzling that anyone would deem them to be 'freedom fighters'.

Why would you consider members of an Israeli M1A1 Abrams tank crew 'firing back' at a Palestinian rocket launch site to be 'guilty'? What are they guilty of? It is wrong for one to defend one's own border? I guess when my British ancestors fought the invading American hordes in 1812 they were as 'guilty' as the Americans who sought to subjugate Canada and add our territory to theirs? It is a fact this was their goal. Damn evil British! Bastards protected us from the Americans! Where are the War Crimes masters when you need them? General Sir Isaac Brock should be hung at once! Christ on a stick! I cannot believe I live in a society where those who would seek to protect themselves from harm are considered 'guilty'. It reminds me of our ass of a law in which those homeowners who own guns would fire at intruders could end up spending more time in our jails than the individual who sought to rob and terrorise the homeowner. I thank all of you leftists for this completely irresponsible and idiotic reasoning. Thanks to leftists the average man is now afraid to protect his own family lest he spend the rest of his days in jail should any harm come to one who would harm him and his family. Let us all blow liberal-socialism a kiss people! Mwahhhhhhhh!

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Just the Facts said:
Fortunately less dead people than there could have been. Not none, though. Lots of injuries too. And lots of damage to houses and schools. The attacks having been less successful (murderous) than the attackers would have liked doesn't make it any less abominable. If you shoot at me and miss, it's still attempted murder. What is Israel supposed to do, sit around and wait for the Palestinians to improve their aim. Plus they're getting better rockets from Iran already.

You can't theat people like israel-gov does to palestinians, and expect peace,it is just impossible.

A good portion of the jews around the world support that claim.here is the proof

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.org/

http://jewsagainstzionism.blogspot.com/

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

One thing I love about Amnesty Interntional is their tendency to exagerate with footnotes to the actual facts.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Said1 said:
One thing I love about Amnesty Interntional is their tendency to exagerate with footnotes to the actual facts.

Everyone knows Amnesty International is an anti-white, anti-Semitic conspiracy organisation!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

SaintLucifer said:
Said1 said:

Everyone knows Amnesty International is an anti-white, anti-Semitic conspiracy organisation!

Wow. You're really smart. Like freaky smart. What's your IQ?