Al-Zarqawi has been killed.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Times Online June 08, 2006

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in a video posted on the internet

Al-Zarqawi killed, says Iraqi PM
By Philippe Naughton and agencies in Baghdad

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-Qaeda terror leader who led the brutal insurgency against US forces in Iraq, has been killed in an American air raid north of Baghdad.

The death of Iraq's most wanted man was announced this morning by Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi Prime Minister, who said that the Jordanian militant was killed last night along with seven of his aides in a joint operation with Iraqi forces.

"Today Zarqawi has been terminated," Mr al-Maliki told a televised press conference, shaking his fist in jubilation.

"This is a message to those who chose the path of violence to change their direction before it is too late. I thank our forces, our police and the multinational forces for what they are doing in pursuing the terrorists."

Al-Zarqawi, who is believed to have personally beheaded several Western hostages including Ken Bigley, a Liverpool engineer, swore allegiance to Osama bin Laden in 2004 and became leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq. He and his group have claimed responsibility for many of the worst atrocities of the three-year insurgency.

General George Casey, the top US general in Iraq, said that al-Zarqawi was killed in an air raid at around 6.15pm on an isolated safe house near Baquba, an insurgent hotspot 40 miles north of Baghdad, after a tip-off that he was to meet his senior al-Qaeda colleagues.

"Tips and intelligence from Iraqi senior leaders from his network led forces to al-Zarqawi and some of his associates, who were conducting a meeting approximately eight km north of Baquba, when the air strike was launched," General Casey said.

"Iraqi police were first on the scene after the air strike, and elements of Multinational Division North, arrived shortly thereafter. Coalition forces were able to identify al-Zarqawi by fingerprint verification, facial recognition and known scars."

General Casey said that al-Zarqawi and his terror organisation had conducted terrorist activities against the Iraqi people for years, in attempts to undermine the Iraqi national government and coalition efforts to rebuild and stabilise Iraq.

He warned: "Although the designated leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq is now dead, the terrorist organisation still poses a threat as its members will continue to try to terrorise the Iraqi people and destabilise their government as it moves toward stability and prosperity.

"Iraqi forces, supported by the coalition, will continue to hunt terrorists that threaten the Iraqi people until terrorism is eradicated in Iraq."

It is not yet clear whether the US will have to pay out on the $25 million bounty that was on al-Zarqawi's head.

In the past year, al-Zarqawi had moved his campaign beyond Iraq’s borders, claiming to have ordered a triple suicide bombing in November 2005 that killed 60 people in hotels in Amman, the Jordanian capital, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

US forces and their allies came close to capturing al-Zarqawi several times since his campaign began in mid-2003. His closest brush may have come in late 2004, when Major General Hussein Kamal, the deputy interior minister, said that Iraqi security forces caught al-Zarqawi near the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah - but then released him because they didn’t realise who he was.

In May 2005, statements posted on the internet by his group said that al-Zarqawi had been wounded in fighting with Americans and was being treated in a hospital abroad - raising speculation over a successor among his lieutenants. But days later, another statement said al-Zarqawi was fine and had returned to Iraq.

US forces believe they just missed capturing al-Zarqawi in a February 2005 raid in which troops closed in on his vehicle west of Baghdad near the Euphrates River. His driver and another associate were captured and al-Zarqawi’s computer was seized along with pistols and ammunition.

Zalmay Khalilzad, the US ambassador to Iraq, said that al-Zarqawi was the "godfather of sectarian killings and terror in Iraq" and described his death as a "good omen".

thetimesonline.co.uk

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
Just heared from reliable source that A-Z has been denied the 72 virgins, milk and honey etc.

He was told instead that he shouldnt have acted on "religious" rumors
somebody with mental disabilities claimed to have received.

There is more fun in living! :wink: :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sorry to hear about your loss Jersay, Aeon and DarkBeaver.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Blackleaf said:
Times Online June 08, 2006

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in a video posted on the internet

Al-Zarqawi killed, says Iraqi PM
By Philippe Naughton and agencies in Baghdad

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, great news, how long did it take? IT took them 3 years and a half to kill a terrorist that cant even handle properly a rifle, wow i am impress, thank god us governement invest more than 435 bn a year in military budget, to make this possible.

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
Just because some of us have a different view that does not mean that we support or condone the actions of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. However I do understand a different point of view. In some Iraqi’s minds they have been invaded and therefore must defend there land at all costs and if that means killing some of there own then that is fine. If we got invaded lets say by the China I am sure we would defend our homeland anyway necessary.
Every one knows that Saddam Hussein was an evil dictator but it was not up to the U.S.A. to remove him from power it was up to the people of Iraq, and if they could not do it themselves then they should have asked for help, but none of that happened the U.S.A. took it on themselves to remove him and now we have a very unstable middle east and the Iraqi people are worse off then they ever were. I do not like death, anybody at any time so yes it upsets me that these people are dead and in my humble opinion the death toll will continue to rise with or without Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Forced Democracy never works.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Briteyes said:
Just because some of us have a different view that does not mean that we support or condone the actions of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. However I do understand a different point of view. In some Iraqi’s minds they have been invaded and therefore must defend there land at all costs and if that means killing some of there own then that is fine. If we got invaded lets say by the China I am sure we would defend our homeland anyway necessary.
Every one knows that Saddam Hussein was an evil dictator but it was not up to the U.S.A. to remove him from power it was up to the people of Iraq, and if they could not do it themselves then they should have asked for help, but none of that happened the U.S.A. took it on themselves to remove him and now we have a very unstable middle east and the Iraqi people are worse off then they ever were. I do not like death, anybody at any time so yes it upsets me that these people are dead and in my humble opinion the death toll will continue to rise with or without Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Forced Democracy never works.

Wellllllllllll said.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
In some Iraqi’s minds they have been invaded and therefore must defend there land at all costs and if that means killing some of there own then that is fine.

They aren't fighting to defend the land, they are fighting for controll of it.

There is a government in Iraq and they need to recognize that, and use it as a tool to further their interests.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Briteyes said:
Just because some of us have a different view that does not mean that we support or condone the actions of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. However I do understand a different point of view. In some Iraqi’s minds they have been invaded and therefore must defend there land at all costs...

Hmm... last I checked A-Z was Jordanian or is that irrelevant?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What a GREAT DAY!

This blood sucker was the mastermind behind the whole insurgency and now he is finished.

Chalk one up for the USAF! Nice shot guys!

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
Re: RE: Al-Zarqawi has been killed.

EagleSmack said:
What a GREAT DAY!

This blood sucker was the mastermind behind the whole insurgency and now he is finished.

Chalk one up for the USAF! Nice shot guys!

Time will Tell

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And to add insult to injury... they whacked his second in command along side of him.

It looks like the "Prince of Iraq" (as OSB called) and his "court" got a close up of a USAF 500 lb J-Dam.

SO LONG FELLAS!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Iraq is a work in progress and we have heard such GREAT NEWS today!

D-E-A-D... adios Zarqawi... your head cutting, car bombing days are over! And take your 7 friends with you.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Al-Zarqawi has been killed.

Jay said:
Sorry to hear about your loss Jersay, Aeon and DarkBeaver.

I doubt any of those three support reactionaries like him. People like Al0Zarqawi share more in common with G.W Bush then anyone on the right..