Da Vinci Code Banned

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...03/da_vinci_060603/20060603?hub=Entertainment

The Pakistan government has banned the Da Vinci Code for "blasphemous material about Jesus" which it feels may offend the Christian minority in its nation.

I'm sorry but banning any work like this is just a repression of freedom, and surprise, surprise the leading churches in Pakistan support this move. I'm disappointed in the churches and glade in away for these organizations to show me there true strips over and over again. For both religions of Islam and Christianity which preach love and tolerance the only thing we get from them is intolerance towards differing opinions, and this time a opinion which comes from a mere story which does not preach to be the truth.

Given the Da Vinci Code is not ground breaking as these theories have been around, well since the time of Christ himself, it is amusing how the church has reacted threw out all time to these "heresies", always surprising them has violently and with the least amount of tolerance. Hell in the 70's when Jesus Christ Super Star came out the catholic church protested to no end trying to shut it down and almost came close to doing so, and this is only pop culture.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
A friend lent me a copy of the book, it's in the pile.

But really, it's The Satanic Verses all over agian.
I finally read that book, yrs after the big "stink", but didn't know enough about Islam at then to make much of it. I'll have to read it again sometime.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
It is about Christianity but because it is a muslim nation and the movie criticizes a prophet of Abraham, which proves the point they are all the same religion, didn't want to offend their Christian minorities so they banned it.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Jersay said:
It is about Christianity but because it is a muslim nation and the movie criticizes a prophet of Abraham, which proves the point they are all the same religion, didn't want to offend their Christian minorities so they banned it.

I still find it surprising, nonetheless.

I don't even really need to read the book, I think I know what happens from beggining to end just from reading all hoop-la. :?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
The Koran simply says to protect and honour in a sence Christians and Jews living in a Muslum country. Also Islam see's Jesus as a prophet as well so in a sence throwing dirt in the face of esstablished Xinity is also throwing dirt in Islam in a sence.

Generally to me it's still the intolerance of both orginized religions which preachs formost tolerance, but do not act that way at all.

Don't fool yourself if the Christian right had just a little more power in the USA they would have this book and movie banned their too, and if they had more power in Canada they'd do the same. The orginized churches generally do not like this book. Well at least the Conservative and Catholic ones.

You have the Christian right burning these books like Harry Potter and Da Vinci Code becuase they believe people shouldn't read them. :!: *not happy with the Christian Right!*

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Although the film has not been screened in any theater in mostly-Muslim Pakistan, authorities decided to ban it out of respect for the feelings of the country's minority Christians.

Earlier this week, Christians staged protests in two Pakistani cities against the movie, demanding a global ban. Christians make up about 3 per cent of Pakistan's 150 million people.

does it mean that Pakistani governement is respecting its minorities, such as Christians?

Then we should be glad for them.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
In the past they have generally done so. It's usually religous fanatics who cause the problems with minority groups.

There is a pretty large Christian community.

Population:
Definition Field Listing Rank Order
165,803,560 (July 2006 est.)

Religions:Definition Field Listing
Muslim 97% (Sunni 77%, Shi'a 20%), Christian, Hindu, and other 3%

When you consider the population of Pakistan and if you say 1-2% is Christian, thats still hundreds of thousands.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Finder said:
The Koran simply says to protect and honour in a sence Christians and Jews living in a Muslum country. Also Islam see's Jesus as a prophet as well so in a sence throwing dirt in the face of esstablished Xinity is also throwing dirt in Islam in a sence.

Generally to me it's still the intolerance of both orginized religions which preachs formost tolerance, but do not act that way at all.

Don't fool yourself if the Christian right had just a little more power in the USA they would have this book and movie banned their too, and if they had more power in Canada they'd do the same. The orginized churches generally do not like this book. Well at least the Conservative and Catholic ones.

You have the Christian right burning these books like Harry Potter and Da Vinci Code becuase they believe people shouldn't read them. :!: *not happy with the Christian Right!*

Personally, I haven't come across any Catholics who are upset by the book - even the fundis next door - who my granny calls fanatics, like she's any better. :lol:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Trust me the church hates the book. If you ask me most catholics don't understand a thing about there faith and the church. They just go and do the ceremonies, rituals and so on. Then again if you are a nominal or a progressive catholic you could have the same views as the book. there are many priests in the catholic church who have these views. But the Vaticans and the Catholic higharchy is extremely conservative and they have booted priests out for straying too far from church doctrine. The Current pope is famous for it, when he was a cardie.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Finder said:
Trust me the church hates the book. If you ask me most catholics don't understand a thing about there faith and the church. They just go and do the ceremonies, rituals and so on. Then again if you are a nominal or a progressive catholic you could have the same views as the book. there are many priests in the catholic church who have these views. But the Vaticans and the Catholic higharchy is extremely conservative and they have booted priests out for straying too far from church doctrine. The Current pope is famous for it, when he was a cardie.

I'm sure the church dislikes it, that wasn't the point I was making. I was speaking of Cathloics in general. Of course there are the fundimentalists, but I find that those who won't hear anything that goes against their religious beleifs generally won't hear anything that doesn't fit with their opinions in the first place.

I also find that you're quite off base in your assesment of what most Catholics do and don't understand with respect to their religion. Trust me on that one. :wink:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I grew up Protestant, protesting one man one church
telling us anything, but I've come to know that of all
the Christian faiths, the Catholic Church (meaning
universal in Greek) has the most intensive scholarship,
the most intensive historians, some of the best schools
of thinking and teaching that none of the other offshoots
and schisms and splinters of other christian faiths come
near offering.

We protestants grew up believing that all understanding
comes from the Bible, but the Catholic Church began
with the idea that the Bible is one source among many,
(they decided what comprised it),
among the priests and philosophers who guide the
understanding and interpretation.

That's this Protestant's take on Catholicism, and this is
no endorsement or disagreement with it.

The origins and history of religion are fascinating
to me more than subscribing to any harsh article of
faith.

There are those who "AGREE" or "DISAGREE" who
little understand any of it.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I read the book, watched the movie, and have seen numerous programs about this over the last few months.

It is a work of fiction, but it has enough "reality" to make it believable, I guess. I found both the book and movie quite entertaining. What was most funny though, was walking out after the movie behind a youg, early twenties male, who told his female companion/date that he sure had some questions for his priest!

Being a Christian but not Catholic, I find the interest generated by the book and movie to be a good thing for religion in general, but to hear some of the critics of the book and movie talk, you would swear that Christianity has just been proven to be totally wrong, and that Muslims were the chosed religion!

Anyway, as a work of fiction it was quite good. AS far as anything else, well, that is up to the individual reading or watching, or both.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Jay said:
Said1 said:
I also find that you're quite off base in your assesment of what most Catholics do and don't understand with respect to their religion. Trust me on that one. :wink:

No doubt.

The left in Canada is full of book burners and they know it.

http://web.net/~ara/documents/news/collins2705.html

Isn't Finder a card carring member of the NDP?

Yup, and the NDP is full of the religous left as well, which get preachy on some issues. Also you are right there are some in the NDP who are ultra political correct. But generally I don't think anyone in the NDP could really be considered a book burner. I;m sure however many would think books such as mein kampf are distaistful. But many on the centre left, left and fringe left actually read right wing books to understand these people better.

Besides I don't know what being a Democrat, Chrsitian or whatever has to do with this. I'm a Libertarian formost and I think banning almost anything is wrong. And banning things such as books of fantasy like the Di Vanci Code or Harry Potter is some of the worst things you can do. I'd hate to see other books and movies on the list of banned books which these counties hold.

Also The Vatican has a long history of banning books to this day there list is still used. For those of you who are catholic and don't know which books you have already read which the Vatican says is a sin to read, here google it under Librorum Prohibitorum. You will find all the good books historic and thought provoking there.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I just find it hard to understand how people can be critical of say, Pakistan, when in their very own Party (NDP) actively supports this sort of behavior.

As for churches and their desire to control what is printed and read, that isn't a problem as long as the governments in the countries they reside in don't actively support speech laws like Canada does (thanks to people like Sven Robinson).

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The NDP has been in government. See the link I provided above.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I agree with Hate laws. If you provide hate against a group of people no matter what they are or who they are like saying they are baby-killers and that they should all burn in hell and we should wipe them from our continent. That is a sick comment and with Hate Laws it ensures that people who have these views are arrested and get sentences.

That is why that iman who was preaching hate should have been arrested. And then if 'these possible' terrorists didn't have to get explosives and weapons.