Canada Not at War In Afghanistan

Is Canada engaged in a war in Afghanistan?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It appears to be the position of The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, P.C., M.P., the Member for Carleton—Mississippi Mills and the Minister of National Defense, that Canada is not engaged in a war in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. This seems to run opposite to what some members of the Government of Canada, and some members of the Canadian Forces here, have suggested.

Is Mr. O'Connor correct in his assertion?

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of PoliticsWatch.

:!: Revision : Added sources.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We are not at war with the government of Afghanistan.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Doesn't matter. You don't have to fight a government for it to be considered a war.

The Mujaheden in the 80s weren't a government but they were fighting the Soviets and it was a war.

It is a war. Plain and simple. We are fighting terrorists or so that is the principle, fighting means war not peacekeeping,.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Well Gordon O'Connor was liked by me for around 6 minutes before he angered me.

Afghanistan is a War, and for some reason the Government is now doing an utter political backpedal on this. When you deploy a Light Brigade, complete with Infantry Fighting Vehicles, 155mm Howitzers, and engage the enemy on a daily basis, that's warfare. There is no way to surgar coat this, we're at War in Afghanistan, and for some reason, as i've stated before, our society cannot accept that. We may not be fighting the Government of Afghanistan, but we're fighting militants within it's borders. I think it's time Canadian society got off it's moral hight horse and started calling a spade a spade.

fighting means war not peacekeeping,.

That's a pretty absolute statement Jersay. One i'm sure the members of 2 PPCLI who fought at Medak would disagree with.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree with you there, Mogz.

I thought that the issue of the mission in Afghanistan was one in which the Government of Canada and Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition caucuses could agree on (in terms of their official positions, anyway). However, I noticed that The Honourable Ujjal Dosanjh, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver South and the National Defense Critic for the Opposition, has sidestepped the issue of whether or not he would consider the situation be "in war." I am disappointed in both the Government and the Opposition on this particular stance.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
jeez Mogz

will you knock it off with paranoia?

now you're blaming "society" for O'Conner's double-speak.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Canada Not at War In Afghanistan

Jay said:
We are not at war with the government of Afghanistan.

Of course, we are not at war with governement of afganisthan, amid karzai was a former unocal adviser.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

FiveParadox said:
I agree with you there, Mogz.

I thought that the issue of the mission in Afghanistan was one in which the Government of Canada and Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition caucuses could agree on (in terms of their official positions, anyway). However, I noticed that The Honourable Ujjal Dosanjh, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver South and the National Defense Critic for the Opposition, has sidestepped the issue of whether or not he would consider the situation be "in war." I am disappointed in both the Government and the Opposition on this particular stance.

In french we call it "" de la poudre aux yeux""" que ce soit de l opposition au governement.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

aeon said:
Of course, we are not at war with governement of afganisthan, amid karzai was a former unocal adviser.

no shit. really? :lol:

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

BitWhys said:
aeon said:

no shit. really? :lol:

Ok, it is not news for you, but it is for some. :wink:

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
BitWhys said:
actually it is. its just too funny. you can't make this stuff up!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean, you can't make this stuff up? it is maybe an expression that i dont understand.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Canada Not at War In

I think it's a war.But is it a oil protection war, or freemocracy delivery war, or a smite the evil doers war or some high-tech mixture. A BBC report lastnight reported that 70% of the rebuilding money was going to coalition contractors and that elements of the installed government we're not impressed with the form of democracy being installed or the lack of progress, they also showed some of the shoddy work being done by rip-off artists, in short there is a disaster of the free market happining in Afghanistan, same old repression same old corruption it just isn't the talaban this time. Resistance to the coalition is growing, there are other factions beside the Taleban that don't want the forigners with weapons in thier country.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
BitWhys said:
jeez Mogz

will you knock it off with paranoia?

now you're blaming "society" for O'Conner's double-speak.

O'Conner is a part of Canadian society is he not? He's an excellent example of what i'm talking about. Our society can't come to terms with the fact that we're not peacekeeping in Afghanistan, it's was blatantly apparent on these boards before I showed up and utterly lost it. My own Aunt still thinks it's a peacekeeping mission, even after her brother in law (my father) and her nephew (obviously me) told her otherwise. It's not paranoia, it's the bitter truth, and Gordon O'Conner is just another of the uninformed masses. Pretty sad.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

dekhqonbacha said:
When the army of one country is deployed within the border of another country, it is a war.
It's true that this kind of "war" differs from traditional war, where armies fought.
This is just new meaning for the word "war."

Not....really. Ever hear of Peacekeeping? That is the furthest thing from a War. Look at right now, Australia has over 1,000 troops in East Timor to help the Timorese Government with the rioting. They're not at War with anyone. It is quite possible for a military to deploy to another nation with no hostile intent, i.e. Operation Addition, the Canadian deployment to Eritrea.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
The soviet union was actually invited by the government to intervien against the "Islamo-facists" as the Americans now call them by the Marxt government. I still consider that a war. Now the USA invaded while the Taliban controled most of the Afcan republic and was overthrown and we are now currently fighting the former government. I think we can easyly see this as a war. Even the "Korean war" witch was a Police action by the United nations is now considered a war.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

aeon said:

Several sources, most notably the documentary film Fahrenheit 9/11, have reported that Karzai once worked as a consultant for the oil company Unocal. Spokesmen for both Unocal and Karzai have denied any such relationship. The claim appears to have originated in the December 9, 2001 issue of the French newspaper Le Monde. Some have suggested that Karzai was confused with U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/afghanistan/karzai.htm