The Times - French and Germans paid money for hostages.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Whereas the British use force to release British hostages held in Iraq - such as the time when the British Army flattened a jail with some tanks to release the Brits held inside - the more cowardly French, Germans and Italians PAY the hostage-takers money to release French, German and Italian prisoners
--------------------------------
France Denies Report It Paid for Hostages

Iraqi jail lies in ruins after the British flatten it to save British hostages.

PARIS (AP) -- The French government repeated Monday that it never paid for the release of its citizens held hostage in Iraq, denying a report in The Times of London that France, Germany and Italy paid millions of dollars in secret ransom.

"As French authorities indicated at the moment of the release of the hostages, there has been no payment of ransom," Foreign Ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei told The Associated Press.

On its Web site, the British daily said documents held by the Iraqi security forces showed the three European countries paid $45 million for the release of nine hostages.

According to the report, Paris paid $15 million for the December 2004 release of journalists Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot and another $10 million for the June 2005 release of journalist Florence Aubenas.

The government in Berlin has not given details of how the release was secured for the three Germans held hostage in Iraq.

Amid persistent speculation that ransom was paid, the head of the German Foreign Ministry crisis unit that handled the latest case said earlier this month that "the government does not let itself be blackmailed."

"It is our clear principle that the government rejects ransom payments," Reinhard Silberberg was quoted as telling the Leipziger Volkszeitung daily.

The Italian Foreign Ministry had no immediate comment on the Times report. However, the former Italian government of ex-Premier Silvio Berlusconi always denied strong speculation in Italy that money was paid to free Giuliana Sgrena and other Italian hostages in Iraq.

Critics complain that paying ransoms encourages gangs in Iraq to take foreigners hostage.

Of the more than 250 foreigners kidnapped since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003, at least 44 have been killed, 135 have been released, three hostages got away, and six were rescued. The fate of the others is still unknown.

hosted.ap.org . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------
Once mighty fighting nations, the 3 big Continental countries are now just cowardly weaklings.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: The Times - French an

course not Tracy...why do you think the french and germans pay? lol

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Then I don't see why this would be such a source of pride for them. I don't think deaths/kidnappings should be used to insult other countries, but that's just me.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

Oh yeah, forking cash over to the very people you're fighting. That's brilliant bumpkin....

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Blackleaf said:
Whereas the British use force to release British hostages held in Iraq
--------------------------------------------------------------
Once mighty fighting nations, the 3 big Continental countries are now just cowardly weaklings.

How could French and Germans use force to release their hostages while they don't have a personal in Iraq?

British have army force. They can use it.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

oh dear, this is a bit tiresome, I think it's up to each country what they do about kidnapping, and I dont believe either way is inherently "wrong".

make of that what you will

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Daz... Do you think it is a good idea to pay these hostage takers ransom? For real?

I would think that these guys would concentrate on taking hostages from the countries that pay ransom.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I dont, but each country must look at themselves, and if they believe the ends justify the means, then they have done nothing wrong and their conscience is clear.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The Times - French an

Daz_Hockey said:
I dont, but each country must look at themselves, and if they believe the ends justify the means, then they have done nothing wrong and their conscience is clear.

Hmmm.

Iraq
Vietnam
Serbia
Camobia
Bay of Pigs

Do we apply it here also or is your comment a philosophical retort?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

well.......I'm sure each member of the victim's family would be desperate to get them back no matter the cost, if they do, and they get them back, bully for them, it was worth the money paid, will it just confirm to the kidnappers and others that it's ok to do it again?....I dont know, perhaps.

but if they dont, and like 90% of the hostages taken in iraq so far, they end up being beheaded, well thats up to their conscience.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You reminded me of Robert Moses, a New Yorker that pretty much leveled everything in his sight to build bridges, tunnels and highways in the city. He said, quote "If the end doesn't justify the means, then what does?"

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

ah but whatever justifies the means is really a matter of personal interpretation.

what is it that spock's dad from star trek says (I'm not a trekker so I'm not 100% on this)...oh yes:

"the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

but then you balance that up with the old jewish saying

"he who saves one life saves the world entire"

as I say, it's up to a matter of interpretation..if you think they shouldnt do it...then they should, but if you think they should, I would not stand in your way of paying the money.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
the family members of kidnapees want their brother/sister... to come back at any cost but they don't pay this amount, do they?

On top it's the governement who decides wether to pay or the army to take a chance and attack the prison (of course if known).

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

simply because they do not have the means to pay it....if you had the amount they were asking, would you pay it?.....then who SHOULD logically pay it if the family cant?, business wont...government thats who I'm afraid, it's not spite or malice on the part of germany or france, their just doing what they think is right for their citizens...nothing more, I dont disagree or agree with it, but thats what they think and it's right for them