:idea: Time for Rallying Around a Strong Leadership

"The greater the danger is, the greater is
the need to reach agreement quickly and
easily about what is to be done; not
misunderstanding in times of danger
is what human beings cannot do
without in their relations".
Friedrich Nietzsche

Francis Fukayama in his intellectual volte face from a neo-conservative who supported the war has now, with the difficulties that issued from the war, turned himself into a "soft power" conservative. In his article in the Melbourne Age, April 8, 2006, 'Time for Softer, Smarter US', he argues, "that before the Iraqi war, we were probably at war with no more than a few thousand people who would consider martyring themselves and causing nihilistic damage to the US", whereas now we are facing tens of thousands as a result of our invasion of Iraq. Because of this America should use "soft power than hard power", promoting "political and economic development...by focusing primarily on good governance, political accountability, democracy and strong institutions".

FULL ARTICLE and its sequel 'A CURSE IS HAUNTING THE LEADERSHIP OF EUROPE' go to: http://congeorgekotzabasis.blogspot.com[/quote]

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: TIME FOR RALLYING ARO

Its about time the U.S. quit picking fights and focused on their country.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Kotz, welcome to the forum.

No President in the history of the US had a better opportunity to rally the world to a good cause than that of GWB in the post 9-11 era. GWB has inspired anti-Americanism worldwide in the face of unprecedented pro-American opportunity.

Unless you feel inspiring anti-Americanism is an effective tool in the war on terror, the management of this campaign must be considered a complete failure.

Leadership is more than creating war zones. It's the ability to sell a vision and create the environment for success. If "soft power" includes the ability to effectively use influence without threatening allies, and creating less enemies than you defeat, I'm all for it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Little known fact: While the French and American Government traded Barbs and insults over the use of Force in Iraq. The French and American military were working side by side in Afghanistan.

Honestly, I will be happy to see change down South. I would like to see Rumsfeld gone first as he has failed miserably as a defense secretary.

M

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
it doesnt matter who is in power in washington
the US goes to war with --usually a nonwhite country
on average every 5 years----
they must kill
its a genetic imperative

the only way to stop them is to arm yourself with nukes

Kreskin, I agree with you that the Bush administration post 9-11, had an "unprecedented pro-American opportunity". But the "deck" of intelligence was "stack" by wrong information against the Administration. As all of the most important Intelligence Services of the world were in unison about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. Bush made the mistake of diverting the issue of the war against global terror, which 80% of Americans supported, to the issue of finding weapons of mass destruction. And the failure to find them brought the Administration to its present dire straits.

One must also bear in mind, that anti-Americanism had its deep roots in the Cold War and did not rise like a phoenix from the Administration's mistakes. Moreover, the fact that the US now is the only super power, exacerbates this anti-Americanism, especially if some Us policies seem to be failing.

Furthermore, "soft power" takes a long time to generate its results and in the present dangerous times, when swift and decisive action is needed, is completely inadequate. And inevitably, in the swiftness of the action and the great scale of its operations, errors will be made. But the greatest error of all is to take no decisive action.

The Bush administration in deciding to react, unlike the feebleness of its predecessor, with overwhelming force, proves to be historically savvy and strong, but it is not immune from committing errors.

P.S. All of the above are spread in my papers in my blog.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Anti-Americanism has been a direct result of murder and rape and theft wherever the American corporate machine has gone, the only fix for the planets American problem is total systemic change in America. The most corrupt country on the earth is the earths biggest problem. If you can find a US policy that's not failing you'd be very lucky because there isn't one.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

Let me suggest this. Maybe the US purposely created policies that would fail, and cause disruption and dispair around the world. Afterall, isn't half the battle of staying on top keeping everyone else down? The US is getting ever closer to being knocked of the top of the hill, and they're becoming more and more agressive to make sure it doesn't happen.