Hey wanna see some DU babies from Afghaistan

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Afghanistan's Poison Legacy: Lost Souls Abroad, Lost Souls at Home

Mohammed Daud Miraki - Afghanistan is become the disaster words could not describe, hence, I decided to illustrate this disaster via these photos of babies born deformed.

www.afghandufund.org

[Below is Dr. Miraki's account of his experiences in Afghanistan. It includes truly disturbing images of children born horribly deformed, it's believed a result of Depleted Uranium contamination. Miraki's account includes stories told him by everyday Afghan civilians. Some of these, to my ear, sound like urban legends, but given the revelations of the bestial nature of conditions at the Bagram Air Force Base, and other confirmed systemic atrocities carried out by the occupation army, the tales told the doctor seem almost tame. Another pictorial horror, posted some months ago here at PEJ News, depicts prenatal victims of DU used in Iraq. It's created by Eric Blumrich of Bushflash.com and is not for the queasy either. While Canada continues its lock-step march to disaster with the militarists currently ruling America, it's important for we here to refuse the perpetual war paradigm promising to lead the world to annihilation - lex]

Death Made In America

Mohammed Daud Miraki, MA, MA, PhD

Exclusive To Rense.com
[republished at PEJ News with author permission]
Mdmiraki@ameritech.net
4-29-06

Wondering if your conscience is still anesthetized

A LITTLE TERRORIST: ENJOY YOUR HANDIWORK USA

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
This is horrible DB. Many of us have for many years been trying to draw attention to similar issues with toxic wastes being released by factories along the US/Mexican border. It's a little closer to home but it has been difficult to stimulate interest.

http://www.newint.org/issue246/dirty.htm

Sanchez and his community recently succeeded in closing down Mexaco but the extent of the environmental devastation is only just coming to light. US companies began to set up factories just across the Mexican border nearly 30 years ago. They quickly discovered they could reap huge profits by using cheap Mexican labour to make tax-free products for sale back in the US. They were soon followed by Japanese, Canadian and European corporations, all keen to lower labour costs in search of bigger profits.

Mary Kelly, of the Texas Center for Policy Studies, says the US/Mexico border is an example of what happens when powerful companies from a rich country set up in a poor country ‘with weak regulatory structures and little political motivation to control the nature and pace of development’.

The fact is that Mexican border towns have become garbage dumps for millions of barrels of benzine solvents, pesticides, raw sewage and battery acid spewed out by foreign-owned maquiladoras. The companies also dump toxins into landfills, rivers, populated canyons and storm drains. Millions of gallons of toxic waste are dumped daily into the Rio Grande in Texas. Along the Pacific coast near Tijuana and San Diego an estimated 1,000 gallons-a-second of poisoned water pours into the ocean. But much of the pollution has also come from the new workers who have moved into the region over the past two decades. Sewer systems are now so inadequate that raw faecal matter flows freely into water-wells used for drinking and irrigation.

In Tijuana there are an estimated 700 maquiladoras employing 350,000 workers. Half-a-million people live in cardboard shacks on dirt tracks with no plumbing and no electricity. Constant exposure to untreated sewage means that hepatitis, vibrio cholera and amoebic dysentery are widespread.

At the border’s easternmost reach, around Brownsville in Texas and Matamoros in Mexico the rate of anencephaly – babies born without brains – is four times the national average.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Seriously. Beav, do you have any info on how much DU was used in Afghanistan?

My understanding is that DU is used mostly against armour, and that one would assume there was much, much more of it used in the Gulf.

Any evidence these defects are the results of D? I wouldn't expect proof, but has the incidence of such births gone uop dramatically since 2001?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Hey wanna see some DU babies from Afghaistan

Colpy said:

My understanding is that DU is used mostly against armour, and that one would assume there was much, much more of it used in the Gulf.

Any evidence these defects are the results of D? I wouldn't expect proof, but has the incidence of such births gone uop dramatically since 2001?

Wanna see birth defect in iraq, after the first gulf war?

Today, nearly 12 years after the use of the super-tough weapons was credited with bringing the war to a swift conclusion, the battlefield remains a radioactive toxic wasteland -- and depleted uranium munitions remain a mystery.

Although the Pentagon has sent mixed signals about the effects of depleted uranium, Iraqi doctors believe that it is responsible for a significant increase in cancer and birth defects in the region. Many researchers outside Iraq, and several U.S. veterans organizations, agree; they also suspect depleted uranium of playing a role in Gulf War Syndrome, the still-unexplained malady that has plagued hundreds of thousands of Gulf War veterans.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/95178_du12.shtml

i won t post those photo, but here is the link, scroll it down to the bottom, it is crazy and frankly not really nice.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~stgvisie/VISIE/extremedeformities.html

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
birth defects have been systematically covered up since the 1970s in north america.

BC has the highest rate, Nova Scotia the 2nd. These are not offical stats, none seem to be kept [which tells us something].

Industrial Toxins did it in almost all cases

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Colpy said:

The total dispersed DU in both conflict theatres of Iraq and Afghanistan is thought to be between 600 to 1000 tons just blowing arround in the wind. The stuff is showing up in Isreal. The universal first question of newly delivered mothers was always, "is it a boy or a girl" in these places it's now, "is it normal". Not to worry though it's halflife is only 4.5 billion years.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Use of DU:

Iraq: 1991- approx 320-750 tons
Balkans: 10-200 tons
Afghanistan: 500- 600 tons.(used in missiles and bunker busting bombs)

Use of DU contravenes the UN weapon conventions, breaking all four requirements ( must not have adverse effect beyond area of fighting, must not harm in an inhumane way, must not last longer than duration of war, must not harm environment). In 1999, the UN called for a ban on the use of DU... but the US vetoed this. In 2001, Rep, Cynthia McKinney introduced a bill to suspend use of DU, but nothing has been done.
Before the Gulf War, the US clearly knew of the risks of DU. It had protocols for soldiers to wear protective gear in areas of its use, and they ensured that the pr about DU did not thwart its use.
In Iraq, the levels of DU along the Highway of Death are excessive.

In vets with Gulf War Syndrome, DU is frequently found in the urine and the Us compensates its soldiers for this syndrome. In Iraq, after the Gulf War the birth defect rate climbed from 11 / 100,000 in 1989 to 116/ 100,000 in 2001. The cancer rate went from 34 deaths/ 1988 to 450 deaths/1998 to 603 deaths/2001. Similar defects and rate rises are now being seen in Bosnia and Afghanistan.

Yes, this will be around a LONG time. Lets consider Agent Orange and the 12 million gallons dumped on Vietnam. The US compensates its soldiers for all sorts of neurological problems, cancers and birth defects, completely acknowledging the link to Agent Orange, but refuses to acknowledge any effect in Vietnam.
In 2000, Canadian government sponsored agency investigations found the dioxin still in the food chain. In 1984 several of the producing chemical companies settled with vietnam vets for 180 million. When several Vietnamese victims tried to sue for use of Agent Orange, US District Judge Jack B. Weinstein said " There is no basis for any of the claims of plaintiffs under the domestic law of any nation or state, or under any form of international law. The case is dismissed."

Good luck, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan sufferers. You are on your own.

Of course, the world is one. Even if we dont care about the above group of people we are poisoning our own world. These contaminants spread throughout the world.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: Hey wanna see some DU

I was reading tonight that the DU has cicumnavigated the world since 1991. Fuzzy the US dosn't even awcknowledge a problem with sick soldiers, I'll find the site and post it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I am definitely not a fan of DU. That is of course if I am sitting here behind my laptop banging keys.

Now, on the other hand, if I've got an armoured vehicle bearing down on me I might be a DU supporter at that point.

Just an honest answer.
M

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Retired_Can_Soldier said:
I am definitely not a fan of DU. That is of course if I am sitting here behind my laptop banging keys.

Now, on the other hand, if I've got an armoured vehicle bearing down on me I might be a DU supporter at that point.

Just an honest answer.
M

Yeah.

In the first Gulf War saddam had one hell of a lot of armour.......and it would have required an awful lot of dead guys to chop it up without A-10s etc with DU.

It's a question of prices, and I'm not sure the price of birth defects is worth it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy and RetCdnSoldier

Ugly topic first thing this morning. I see you guys have come to the wall which often meets me when I think about our military.

While honoring the military we should turn our honest attention to prevention from this day forward. Amidst the gentle commiserating between y ou two, one thing stood out in my head about DU and war itself.

Are there any "polite" methods of engagement?

Do we actually consider the consequences BEFORE we invade? I think these commitments to historical record should be worked out in the future because we are not just talking polite bullets and tidy bombs any more.

There are things out there will carry throughout generations in people and in the ground they inhabit. We are sending our young into the land of mad scientists and Saturday afternoon horror films.

War is war - it kills - it has no respect for human life even while purporting to preserve it.

We have to find answers. Soon.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Hey wanna see some DU

darkbeaver said:
I was reading tonight that the DU has cicumnavigated the world since 1991. Fuzzy the US dosn't even awcknowledge a problem with sick soldiers, I'll find the site and post it.

USA doenst care avbout that, they still convinced they do no harm to anything that live on this planet, i guess the fact usa cleaned up koweit after first gulf war but not iraq, shows that they don t really believe DU is dangerous(sarcasm).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
DEPLETED URANIUM - FAR WORSE THAN 9/11
Douglas Westerman
In 1979, depleted uranium (DU) particles escaped from the National Lead Industries factory near Albany, N.Y.,which was manufacturing DU weapons for the U.S military. The particles traveled 26 miles and were discovered in a laboratory filter by Dr. Leonard Dietz, a nuclear physicist. This discovery led to a shut down of the factory in 1980, for releasing morethan 0.85 pounds of DU dust into the atmosphere every month, and involved a cleanup of contaminated ! properties costing over 100 million dollars. Imagine a far worse scenario. Terrorists acquire a million pounds of the deadly dust and scatter it in populated areas throughout the U.S. Hundreds of children report symptoms. Many acquire cancer and leukemia, suffering an early and painful death. Huge increases in severe birth defects are reported. Oncologists are overwhelmed. Soccer fields, sand lots and parks, traditional play areas for kids, are no longer safe. People lose their most basic freedom, the ability to go outside and safely breathe. Sounds worse than 9/11? Welcome to Iraq and Afghanistan...

An interesting point about this little story is that a hundred million dollars was spent on the clean up of a few pounds of DU dust in the U.S., and yet tons of this toxic poison was dropped on Iraq, and Afghanistan. The danger to The people of these countries, as well as U.S. soldiers and their allies is incredible.

link

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Colpy said:

Just an honest answer.
M

Yeah.

In the first Gulf War saddam had one hell of a lot of armour.......and it would have required an awful lot of dead guys to chop it up without A-10s etc with DU.

It's a question of prices, and I'm not sure the price of birth defects is worth it.
Saddam's Republican Guard Armored Divisions presented the most danger which is why DU was used against them in the first Gulf War..
A typical Republican Guard armored division would include the following elements:
Divisional Headquarters

2 Tank Brigades
3 Tank Battalions
1 Mechanized Infantry Battalions
1 Motorized Special Forces Company
1 Engineering Company
1 Reconaissance Platoon
1 Medium Rocket Launcher Battery

1 Mechanized Infantry Brigade
3 Mechanized Infantry Battalions
1 Tank Battalion
1 Antitank Company
1 Motorized Special Forces Company
1 Engineering Company
1 Reconaissance Platoon
1 Medium Rocket Launcher Battery

Divisional Artillery Brigade
3 Self-Propelled Artillery Battalions (155mm SP)
2 Self-Propelled Artillery Battalions (152mm SP)
2 Self-Propelled Artillery Battalions (122mm SP)

Seperate Units:
3 Motorized Special Forces Battalions
1 Reconaissance Battalion
1 Antitank Battalion
1 Engineer Battalion

http://fas.org/irp/world/iraq/rg/

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: Hey wanna see some DU

The use of DU is terrible, those who use it and produce it are terrorists. But here's the fine line that seperates our brave terrorists and thier cowardly terrorists. There are only degrees and directions of terrorism, capital determines the success of terrorist activitys, those that have the most capital resources to spend can and do conduct the bigger and more sophisticated terrorist programes, there is no differance between total war and terrorism, as soon as we stop believing that there is a difference we begin to see the reality of conflict. A military that cannot terrorize is useless. The use of DU is perhaps one of the most hienous acts of the last hundred years, those who perpetuate it's use are guilty of crimes against humanity and must stand trial and be executed if found guilty.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Johnny Utah said:
Saddam's Republican Guard Armored Divisions presented the most danger which is why DU was used against them in the first Gulf War..
A typical Republican Guard armored division would include the following elements:
Divisional Headquarters

http://fas.org/irp/world/iraq/rg/

Ridicoulus, that is not the reason DU is used .

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006

Just an honest answer.
M

Wow I'm STUNNED.

I guess what you mean is :
a) one can only be an ethical soldier if your weapons are bigger than theirs or
2) it is more important for an American soldier to survive than to worry about killing civilians after the war is over or
3) it doesnt really matter that the American soldiers in the area of use of DU are being exposed too.

As for using DU against armoured vehicles. Does that include the vehicles that are moving AWAY from you? i.e. retreating. As was the case in Kuwait along the Highway of Shame. The US strafed the retreating troops and vehicles with DU laden bombs. The line of burnt out vehicles sit there today, with bodies and stuff decaying in them, and the DU levels are excessively high and the US wont allow their troops in the area ( of course, maybe that is a ploy, maybe they just dont want anyone to see this.)

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

fuzzylogix said:

Just an honest answer.
M

Wow I'm STUNNED.

I guess what you mean is :
a) one can only be an ethical soldier if your weapons are bigger than theirs or
2) it is more important for an American soldier to survive than to worry about killing civilians after the war is over or
3) it doesnt really matter that the American soldiers in the area of use of DU are being exposed too.

As for using DU against armoured vehicles. Does that include the vehicles that are moving AWAY from you? i.e. retreating. As was the case in Kuwait along the Highway of Shame. The US strafed the retreating troops and vehicles with DU laden bombs. The line of burnt out vehicles sit there today, with bodies and stuff decaying in them, and the DU levels are excessively high and the US wont allow their troops in the area ( of course, maybe that is a ploy, maybe they just dont want anyone to see this.)
Nice Monday morning quarterbacking there on the Highway of Death.. :roll: