Book review, The Mysteries of Capital-this is globalization

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Globalization is about capitalism. Hernando de Soto wrote in his book The Mysteries of Capital that most of the world is a capitalist failure because in cities in developing countries such as Cairo, Rio de Janeiro, Port-au-Prince, Moscow, Manilla, and Lima, lack basic property laws. De Soto brought into the news that it took people years to register a business or own a piece of land in these cities. In Canada we can do it in about a day.

This lack of a legal system for small companies in developing countries means that mail does not get delivered, shares cannot be sold in the business, they cannot advertise, they cannot export or import goods, get bank loans, companies cannot grow, or create web pages. They exist in a shadowy extralegal world and live hand to mouth. Banks will not touch them because they do not have legal title to their assets. Their assets have no legal protection and they sit on billions of dollars of dead capital.

The main reason many farmers grow coca and opium poppies is because drug lords are the only people that offer them credit-money to survive, so that is what they take. Farmers don't own their land so banks cannot give them loans because they cannot offer any collatoral in return.

De Soto scorns the IMF and the World Bank because they have a macro view of the world, an Olympian view of the world that does not relate to ordinary people who simply want to make a decent living.

Globalization is about capitalism, not AIDS, the weather, or protests. We don't think of ourselves as capitalists, but in our jobs we generate capital to live the good life and we want social democracy to go with it. Tax the rich.

This is what the G8, IMF and the World Bank should be working on, and over time the so-called terrorism problem might vanish as a result. Economic success is what it is all about these days.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Re: Book review, The Mysteries of Capital-this is globalizat

Jonathan Manthorpe of the Vancouver Sun rote yet another article about the troubled politics of Latin America? Hmmm. Pardon me if I yawn.

Just for fun, just for a change, why doesn't a journalist from Canada record how difficult it is for a Latin American to register a business in Peru/Mexico/Brazil/Chile and a journalist from Mexico/Peru/Chile/Brazil could record the same in Canada. Then stories could be written how people in Latin America cannot even do something non-political as start a legal business and generate capital for themselves. Just to make a decent living.

In a dynamic changing world, to write the same old, same old, same old, same old about Latin America is some kind of cruel joke.

Do we have an Elvis media? Inward thinking, afraid of outsiders, shoot and then ask questions later, obedient media, corrupt sheriff, ignorant guy living in a fancy house, no new ideas?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
RE: Book review, The Mysteries of Capital-this is globalizat

Jonathan Manthorpe of the Vancouver Sun rote yet another article about the troubled politics of Latin America? Hmmm. Pardon me if I yawn.

Just for fun, just for a change, why doesn't a journalist from Canada record how difficult it is for a Latin American to register a business in Peru/Mexico/Brazil/Chile and a journalist from Mexico/Peru/Chile/Brazil could record the same in Canada. Then stories could be written how people in Latin America cannot even do something non-political as start a legal business and generate capital for themselves. Just to make a decent living.

In a dynamic changing world, to write the same old, same old, same old, same old about Latin America is some kind of cruel joke.

------------------dumpthemonarchy---------------------

We're all tired of the same old same old.

But we're all guilty of the same old ourselves.

Not just our leaders, but we the people too.

Any issue appears to be just a prop for our
bias. For every inkblot Rorschache test we see
what we want to see.

The Leftwing rejoices gleefully about a guy like
Hugo Chavez fighting the big capitalist pigs raping
Latin America who give back little.

The Rightwing is leery about a guy like Hugo Chavez
using authoritarian measures in taking over air time
on broadcast channels and pushing governmental
fiat as the solution to increasing wealth.

Some of what both sides see is true.

All I know is that these leftwing and rightwing
swings in Latin America have yet to make Latin
America the powerhouse it could be.

All I know is that Mexico has the resources of oil,
tourism, minerals, and a labor pool to become
a first world nation.

But neither leftwing nor rightwing accomplishes this.
And both sides accuse the other of sabotage.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Book review, The Myst

That's an ammusing conspiracy theroy you have there JIM, the best way to decide the debate between the left and the
wrong would be to exterminate the right and see how things go. If after having done this and we notice right wingers showing up again we can safely say that it is because of a very bad mutant gene in our DNA stuff and develope screening tests to conduct on pregnant mothers to be. I'am sure most mothers do not want to give birth to neo-cons, republicans, Harperites, psycopaths chainsaw murderers or Christian jesusfreak fundamentals. I support enhanced abortion on demand.