Archbishop springs to defence of hoodies.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu - ranked No3 in the Anglican church after Queen Elizabeth II and the Archbishop of Canterbury - has sprung to the defence of hoodies (hooded tops), underlining his support by wearing one himself.

Hoodies have been banned from certain places in Britain - such as some shopping centres - as thugs and hooligans love wearing them as they can use the hoods to hide their identities.

Dr John sentamu became Archbishop of York last year as is the first black Archbishop in Britain.

Archbishop defends youths in hoodies
By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
(Filed: 03/05/2006)

Dr John Sentamu yesterday

The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, sprang to the defence of youths who wear hoodies yesterday, underlining his support by donning one himself.

Teenagers wearing the fashionable hooded jackets are often regarded with suspicion because they can hide their faces from security cameras.

They have been barred from some shopping centres after complaints that elderly people found them intimidating. But Dr Sentamu, who became Britain's first black archbishop last year, urged a Bradford Diocese conference on youth work not to jump to conclusions about those who wear them, adding "99 per cent of those who wear hoodies are law-abiding citizens".

British gangs of yobs love wearing hoodies.

The archbishop, who had been given the hoodie while bishop of Birmingham, said: "Being young is not a barrier to being used by God. We need to guide and support young people in their ministry."

His comments are part of an effort by the Church to attract young people back to the pews.

Hoodies have also been defended by Dom Anthony Sutch, a Roman Catholic monk and the former headmaster of Downside school, who pointed out that monks' habits are of a similar design.

telegraph.co.uk

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Suspicions of Youth Unfounded

I would agree with the Most Reverend John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, in his assertions on this matter. If some seniors are going to assume that anyone wearing a particular style of clothing is going to be more or less prone to unlawful acts, then I would suggest that they (with respect) give their heads a shake. The world isn't quite so black and white, in my opinion.

joeph

May 3, 2006
regina
This is another example of stereotyping. It's true that 99 percent of the people who wear them are law abiding people. If i started wearing a turban, people would think I'm some kind of anarchist or something like that.
Stereotypes are for the weak