Air India Bombing: Inquiry

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, today appointed John Major, Q.C., as the commissioner of an inquiry into the destruction of the Air India Flight 182. A date and timeframe for the inquiry have not yet been given.

The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P.,]The families of the victims continue to demand answers that only a full public inquiry can provide into the senseless slaughter of the victims of Air India Flight 182. [...] As a nation we have a responsibility to ensure that we have learned from our past mistakes and that we are equipped today to identify and deal with terrorist threats before more Canadians become innocent victims.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
:arrow: My Opinion Re: The Air India Inquiry

I am happy to see that the Prime Minister has chosen to commission an inquiry in relation to this matter; a commendation should, too, be given to the Honourable Anne McLellan, P.C., for the work that she had done in consulting the families and persons affected by this senseless terrorist attack in terms of how best to proceed here in Canada. I hope that this inquiry gives the Government of Canada further guidance on how to better prevent such events in the future, and that it provides a sort of "closure" to the persons affected.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, Johnny Utah.

However, I am somewhat assured by the facts that (a), Mr. Major is a former Puisne Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, meaning his ability to preside over something such as this must be quite superb; and (b) his inquiry is to be given quite vast resources, and quite a vast mandate, in terms of the ability of this commission to gather information.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
After 20 years of this,don't expect anything to come out of any investigation! It's a Cold Case and the perps will die of old age before any charges will be laid. Possibly the only way the families will be ever satisfied is the chance of an enormous cash settlement.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Air India Bombing: Inquiry

Hank C said:
Still kinda sad the only guy we caught got 5 years.....should of been life.
5 years? :?
No wonder Terrorists think of Canada as a haven.
:roll: