Neil Young Streaming Live Impeach the President

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
RE: Neil Young Impeach the President

The man has guts. I like that he is respectful that others disagree with him and pointed out that disagreements don't have to mean conflicts. I live in California and don't agree with all the politics here, but I have never had a problem with intolerance because of it. My best friend down here voted for Bush, that doesn't mean we can't be friends.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Re: Neil Young Impeach the President

tracy Neil Young is going to start selling the CD as a download soon and have it in the stores by June. It looks like he wants to create some momentum. I think there is going to be a very strong reaction to this as he is a Canadian living in the US. It will be interesting to see how Canada reacts to an expatriate making this kind of noise in the US.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Neil Young Impeach the President

Entertainers are starting to get the message out. This wasn't allways possible due to the entertainment industry 'being stubborn' about what gets released. Performers were held to contracts and so on...

So its much more than just Neil Young behind this. A lot of corporate people are in on it, no doubt. That means something... BushCo is losing the Co part of his name... the evil twins are breaking up!!

"Corporate" isn't just one body. Now we are seeing division in the corporate world. Bechtel and Halliburton are still in bed with Bush, but others are moving out of that camp. Cross-investments in each other's industries has allways been the trump card that they had to keep them all on the same page, but that tactic might be breaking down now.

Hurray!!

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Here is the live album

http://action.truemajority.org/campaign/livingwithwar

Neil Young: Exclusive 'Impeach the President' Lyrics

AP
Neil Young
Neil Young’s new album, "Living with War," is an incendiary, moving, totally American document of peaceful protest that is going to make a lot of people crazy one way or another.

And there’s no doubt that the centerpiece of the album, a song called “Let’s Impeach the President,” performed as a melodic, rocking campfire ode, will be what causes the most controversy.

For one thing, though Young has lived in California since the late 1960s, his naysayers will decry him as a Canadian. Others will call him unpatriotic or treasonous.

But there are just as many fans of Neil Young who will cite him as a political poet, a hero and a troubadour working in the most traditional vein of American music.

Certainly “Living with War” contains the most pungent attacks on a U.S. president in pop-rock since The Ramones recorded “Bonzo Goes to Bitburg” in the late 1980s.

And Young reaches back to the original rock protest singer, Bob Dylan, calling out to him in one of the songs.

But this album is no giddy hit and run. It’s far more serious and searing in its assessment of contemporary life than that, and it wouldn’t matter if it came from someone born in Kansas City or Ottawa.

When "Living with War" starts streaming on www.neilyoung.com on Friday, my guess is the servers will overheat. The real test will come next week, when the album is available for downloading on several sites.

For now, though, here are the lyrics many parents are going to be hearing their kids singing in the next few days. Young has been clever enough to write the catchiest protest song since Country Joe and the Fish’s anti-Vietnam ditty, “I Feel Like I’m Fixin’ to Die.”

Here, for the first time, the lyrics to Neil Young’s “Let’s Impeach the President”:

Let’s impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door

He’s the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war

Let’s impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones

What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government’s protection
Or was someone just not home that day?

Let’s impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected

Thank god he’s cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There’s lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean

Roger

Nominee Member
May 2, 2006
Atlantic
www.exporail.org
Since Neil Young can't vote in the United States, he should keep his trap shut on the subject. There's a lot of countries where if he did such a thing he would be summarily escourted to the airport if not thrown in jail. He's lucky he's in the United States.

How would you all feel if an American, or any other foreigner living part time in Canada got on the tube pontificating the ouster of the Prime Minister of your choice??

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Neil Young Streaming Live Impeach the President

Roger said:
Since Neil Young can't vote in the United States, he should keep his trap shut on the subject. There's a lot of countries where if he did such a thing he would be summarily escourted to the airport if not thrown in jail. He's lucky he's in the United States.

No one else sees the disconnect in this statement? He's lucky to live in a society that gives him the freedom to say this, so he shouldn't? Thats some strange logic if I ever heard any.

His ability to be politically outspoken is not a result of Mr. Bush's benevolence, it is a result of the Constitution of the United States of America affording him that right. Mr. Bush has had little to do with that, and much to do with taking away that right. To say that he should "shut his trap" just because he's talking about the leader of said country is asinine, and contrary to the ideals of the nation that he is in.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Neil Young Streaming

It is his right. We live in a country of [mostly] free speech. If he wants to do that he can do that all he wants. Or do you wish to restrict free speech for the sake of your morals / political opinions?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

LittleRunningGag said:
Roger said:

No one else sees the disconnect in this statement? He's lucky to live in a society that gives him the freedom to say this, so he shouldn't? Thats some strange logic if I ever heard any.

His ability to be politically outspoken is not a result of Mr. Bush's benevolence, it is a result of the Constitution of the United States of America affording him that right. Mr. Bush has had little to do with that, and much to do with taking away that right. To say that he should "shut his trap" just because he's talking about the leader of said country is asinine, and contrary to the ideals of the nation that he is in.

As Young explains all this in the video I thought I would not add that one of the important rights in a democracy is to be able to speak out freely about political issues.

Neil Young is a Canadian citizen and a permanent resident of the US. He's been there for 40 years. He wrote a song called Ohio about 35 years ago.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

Roger said:
So Little Running Gag,

I guess you think it was a GOOD THING when Charles DeGaulle came to Quebec and stirred up the Separatist Movement? Same damned thing.

It's not even close to the same thing. Young is an artist not a politician from another country.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

sanch said:
As Young explains all this in the video I thought I would not add that one of the important rights in a democracy is to be able to speak out freely about political issues.

Unfortunately there are a great number of a-holes that would like this right taken away, or at least curbed so as to fit their morals and political beliefs. In a free democracy, anti-government speech should be encouraged, regardless of who is in power. If the most benevolent and talented leader in the history of the world were to take power, that person should be just as scrutinized as the absolute worst leader.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Free Speech

[i said:
Roger[/i]]Since Neil Young can't vote in the United States, he should keep his trap shut on the subject. There's a lot of countries where if he did such a thing he would be summarily escourted to the airport if not thrown in jail. He's lucky he's in the United States.

:!: Revision : Reduced the text size.
The United States of America isn't one of those countries, Roger, and I would suggest to you that unless his statements are causing damage or harm to society, then he should have the right to express his opinion. Do you suggest that anyone who does not have the right to vote, does not have the right to express their opinions on subjects such as these? I wonder if this sentiment would extend to minors — do they not have rights, in your opinion?

[i said:
Roger[/i]]How would you all feel if an American, or any other foreigner living part time in Canada got on the tube pontificating the ouster of the Prime Minister of your choice??

:!: Revision : Reduced the text size.
Here on Canadian Content, we have members from across the world, and many of them have stated their opinions of our Prime Minister of Canada, and actions that could, or should, be taken to support, or to remove, him. I don't see why this same right of expression should not include the right to broadcast those opinions.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
oh yes

neil young

the canadian who chooses to live in the states
like so many
rather than....... well here
so he can make--10s or 100s of millions rather than just --millions

an absolutely perfect example of a traitor

impeach the president--damn right

but we didnt have to hear it from him

i dont care wether he keeps his trap shut or not

he is irrelevant--- and outside of harvest-- crap music too

cant stand the sound of his thin wining voice

absolutely nauseating

good thing you moved to lA neil----good riddance

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Stephen Stills was waaaaaaay better, he WAS CSNY.

Honestly though, I think it's a pretty lame song and not for political reasons, but because it is.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Said1 They can't make any real money without Young touring with CSNY. Most overt political songs are not that great. Try neocon by the stones.

Cortezz you sound exactly like a cranky ol' paleo conservative. They are nationalists as well.

Were you not citing Bill Burroughs about burning the flag yesterday? And today you are wrapping yourself in it. Don't suffocate.

Burroughs was an internationalist and didn't believe in national identities. Of course you would know that had you actually read him.

I don't listen to Young either. He is a very original personality though. My interest in this move by Young is to see how it is interpreted. He knew it was not going to be a popular move. He supported Reagan as well which was not popular with his audience.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
“If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.” — Supreme Court Justice William J. Brennan, Jr. in Texas v. Johnson

Let him speak!

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
willie boy-- did not burn the flag
he smoked it

sorry as protest goes---young just doesnt cut it

hes boring

take any rage song any day

its also who you critique

rage for example --critisize--their own country

young---someone elses

if he wrote songs like----

cromwell the killer

and alberta---instead of alabama

or

impeach the prime minister

or

get the witch queen off our money--

id be more interested

Neil the hypocrite

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
sanch said:
Said1 They can't make any real money without Young touring with CSNY. Most overt political songs are not that great. Try neocon by the stones. .

Probably not, but what does that have to do with anything? Most of their non-plitical songs are fantastic.

Neocon by the Stones is like fingernails on a chalk board. No thanks.