Tony Snow (FoxNews) New Whitehouse Press Sec

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
WASHINGTON — President Bush named Tony Snow to be his next White House press secretary on Wednesday in the latest round of staff changes in the West Wing.

"I am here to break some news," Bush told the White House press corps in the briefing room. "I have asked Tony Snow to be my press secretary. Tony knows many of you already. He agreed to take the job anyway."

Snow, host of FOX News Talk's "The Tony Snow Show" and former "FOX News Sunday" anchor, will replace outgoing spokesman Scott McClellan. Snow had been mulling the White House's offer for the last several days.

Full story - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193176,00.html

Things are looking pretty cozy between Fox and the Bush Admin. Maybe next time the UN job comes up they'll hire Bill O'Reilly. :wink:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Actually Tony Snow has been very hard on the current administration - calling Bush "embarrassing".

Obviously some don't know Tony Snow. The MSM are spinning him as a conservative pundit - but to hear his broadcasts it remains an undecided issue with him because he is both kind and cruel depending upon his opinion, of many politicians on both sides of the political spectrum.

The press secretary's job however is to defend the administration and thus he will be branded as a 'yes man' which I think is a big error for Snow's career. He is one of the few broadcasters these days who has remained above opinion delivery.

He's just come out of a bout with cancer and chemo - perhaps he wants the lighter duty right now of working for the president. HA!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Kreskin said:
WASHINGTON — President Bush named Tony Snow to be his next White House press secretary on Wednesday in the latest round of staff changes in the West Wing.

"I am here to break some news," Bush told the White House press corps in the briefing room. "I have asked Tony Snow to be my press secretary. Tony knows many of you already. He agreed to take the job anyway."

Snow, host of FOX News Talk's "The Tony Snow Show" and former "FOX News Sunday" anchor, will replace outgoing spokesman Scott McClellan. Snow had been mulling the White House's offer for the last several days.

Full story - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193176,00.html

Things are looking pretty cozy between Fox and the Bush Admin. Maybe next time the UN job comes up they'll hire Bill O'Reilly. :wink:

At least their not pulling the Governor General out of the CBC and then pretending the CBC doesn't have a liberal bias funded on taxpayer's backs.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm not a fan of any Liberals, at least none that come to mind at the moment.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
He's just come out of a bout with cancer and chemo - perhaps he wants the lighter duty right now of working for the president. HA!

Well, from what you've said, it appears he has a tougher job than most Fox talking heads in that he appears not to lie ALL the time. Choosing the rare occasions on which to tell the truth must be a strain

As WH press secretary, he won't be burdened with the truth, so he'll be able to relax.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Pastafarian

I think it is a good career move for Snow regardless of all the criticism he will receive.

What easier way for a man gifted with fine speech, honest demeanor, speaking words already formatted, answering questions already formatted, and picking up not only a hefty salary, but early retirement (he's been working almost 30 years)....by writing a book on his job as Press Secretary.

They all do it - it's actually a gift from heaven for those at the end of their careers. They either turn into old cranky newsmakers such as the ones we have seen fade into the woodwork like Rather and Rooney and Brokaw and Koppell and forgive me Peter Jennings RIP, or they get a plummy job right at the end of their broadcasting careers, thus leading the way to personal authorship of interesting and profitable books.

It's the choice way to go out. Hall of Fame kind of stuff. I like Tony simply because he is a good man. Of the best broadcasters in our milieu down here, Brit Hume is the ubermost and Tony a close second. Neither panders to "hot off the press" journalism.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Interesting guy.

ON RELIGIOUS CONSERVATIVES: “Conservative columnist Tony Snow criticized [former Sen. Robert] Smith and other ‘Taliban Republicans’ for their rigid views. ‘The Taliban Republicans take a dark view of human nature,’ Snow wrote. ‘They consider the rest of us a bunch of potential dupes and regard society as a stew of corrupting influences.’” [Church & State, 9/99]

Here are a bunch of Snow's comments about Bush by Think Progress.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/04/25/snow-on-bush

– Bush has “lost control of the federal budget and cannot resist the temptation to stop raiding the public fisc.” [3/17/06]

– “George W. Bush and his colleagues have become not merely the custodians of the largest government in the history of humankind, but also exponents of its vigorous expansion.” [3/17/06]

– “President Bush distilled the essence of his presidency in this year’s State of the Union Address: brilliant foreign policy and listless domestic policy.” [2/3/06]

– “George Bush has become something of an embarrassment.” [11/11/05]

– Bush “has a habit of singing from the Political Correctness hymnal.” [10/7/05]

– “No president has looked this impotent this long when it comes to defending presidential powers and prerogatives.” [9/30/05]

– Bush “has given the impression that [he] is more eager to please than lead, and that political opponents can get their way if they simply dig in their heels and behave like petulant trust-fund brats, demanding money and favor — now!” [9/30/05]

– “When it comes to federal spending, George W. Bush is the boy who can’t say no. In each of his three years at the helm, the president has warned Congress to restrain its spending appetites, but so far nobody has pushed away from the table mainly because the president doesn’t seem to mean what he says.” [The Detroit News, 12/28/03]

– “The president doesn’t seem to give a rip about spending restraint.” [The Detroit News, 12/28/03]

– “Bush, for all his personal appeal, ultimately bolstered his detractors’ claims that he didn’t have the drive and work ethic to succeed.” [11/16/00]

– “Little in the character of demeanor of Al Gore or George Bush makes us say to ourselves: Now, this man is truly special! Little in our present peace and prosperity impels us to say: Give us a great man!” [8/25/00]

– “George W. Bush, meanwhile, talks of a pillowy America, full of niceness and goodwill. Bush has inherited his mother’s attractive feistiness, but he also got his father’s syntax. At one point last week, he stunned a friendly audience by barking out absurd and inappropriate words, like a soul tortured with Tourette’s.” [8/25/00]

– “He recently tried to dazzle reporters by discussing the vagaries of Congressional Budget Office economic forecasts, but his recitation of numbers proved so bewildering that not even his aides could produce a comprehensible translation. The English Language has become a minefield for the man, whose malaprops make him the political heir not of Ronald Reagan, but Norm Crosby.” [8/25/00]

– “On the policy side, he has become a classical dime-store Democrat. He gladly will shovel money into programs that enjoy undeserved prestige, such as Head Start. He seems to consider it mean-spirited to shut down programs that rip-off taxpayers and mislead supposed beneficiaries.” [8/25/00]

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Aw thanks Sanch

I didn't have time to start searching. Some of Snow's bon mots have been so neat - and he delivers them like a genuinely fond uncle or a beloved family member instead of "announcing" in broadcaster modality.

Good post - thank you. I think Canadians would probably like him because he seems so....comfortable.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
Well I knew they wouldn't hire a former journalist for the job, but I was beginning to question what had changed in the world that the White House would hire a person of integrity 8O .

Whew, I can breathe easy, knowing things are as they should be. He's the typical unprincipled, lying shill we'd expect for the job. A list of his lies supporting war, spying on Americans, torture and endangering CIA officers is here.

Edited to Add: Wow! This guy is really perfect: More "reporting" here!!!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL Pasta - you played right into it.

I said earlier Snow would be subjected to criticism because the critics don't want anyone of character speaking for the GOP administration.

More to come stay tuned. You were pretty easy. Not hours after he is announced you find the gossip.

Tell me Pasta - has any other Press Secretary been subjected to presumption and negation before taking office? Name one.

The fact the media are damning what was two days ago a respected member of their "profession" they have turned on him like mad turtles in a feeding frenzy.... ..to me that indicates they are concerned about him.

Which is a good thing. A boost for truth.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
WP until today I had never heard of Snow as I don't watch Fox News. I do watch the White House press conferences and from what I am reading here is that Snow is going to have a lot of problems getting the confidence of the press corp. This is not a job for a pundit.

This is going to be a puzzler for a lot of people. Bush's approval rating has been sliding a point a week and if this erosion stays steady he will be at Nixonian levels before summer. It's 32% right now and Chaney's something like 16 or 17%.

This team really can't afford to play a wild card like Snow. It looks like a very stupid move. This is a pretty whacky crew and they are really cut off from reality.

Extra comment: WP they hired this guy to work with the media. If he said these things he said them.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sanch

Snow has the respect of the press corps. He is one of the top respected broadcasters in the nation.

It is the very reason the press are in a snit because they will have to challenge a journalist who truly is one of their own.

Whether Bush has zero ratings matters not, we are already gearing up the campaign rhetoric. The Bush attacks will get worse and there is little the man can do to change it - he set in motion years of problems for the American taxpayers.

The next few years will seem interesting.

I really don't know what it concerns Canadians in the long run - they don't believe anything coming out of the U.S. so what's another mouth talking eh? Wild card and wacky? Hardly. I am speaking of Snow - not the Bush administration - you seem to be confusing your perceived enemies.

In Snow's case his critics would be wrong in my opinion.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
Tell me Pasta - has any other Press Secretary been subjected to presumption and negation before taking office? Name one.

Well, maybe I've played right into your hands again, but I admit I can't do it.

I don't which side of the looking glass we're on on this one, but if the "presumption and negation" is a good thing, I'll have to take your word on it 'cause I doubt I'll understand the explanation. :)

I just find the fact the he has a track record of siding with transparent fraudsters like the Swift Boat Veterans and the people who gave us the Niger Uranium forgeries to be a ringing endorsement of his credentials for WH Press Secretary.
Less so, for his status as a "journalist".

I don't doubt his disingenuousness a bit, but can he lie simultaneously out of every bodily orifice like my main man, Ari Fleischer? Huh, can he? :wink:

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
WC Snow is a pundit and no doubt has a cult of followers. How communicating with a small very faithful segment is going to translate into trying to get a message across to the nation I don’t know. Snow is not a journalist but a propagandist as his unfounded attacks on Democratic war heroes shows. One can interpret his negative and insulting comments about religious conservatives, Bush and democrats as evidence he is beholden to no master, or one can see it as the vitriol of a man who simply gets a kick out of offending people and gets paid well to do it.

It is pretty clear that there was no urgent justification for invading Iraq and that evidence that argued against going to war was simply ignored, as was the advice of generals who warned that troop size was not sufficient for an occupation and that a prolonged civil war was very likely. There was also incredible incompetence and negligence in the execution of the war. As more military people come forward and more evidence surfaces like the 60 minute segment, support for Bush will likely decrease and there will be pressure for impeachment. And pressure here will increase further if democrats take control of the house and senate which is now a strong possibility.

The Republicans are in very serious trouble with plunging polls and mounting indictments. I am not sure Snow is going to be a big help to them. How do you think Snow's remarks about religious conservatives as Taliban Republicans is going to go over with this group? This was not important when he was at Fox but it will become a national issue now that Karl Rove is again trying to mobilize them for the fall election. All the democrats have to do is run Snow's comments and say this is what Bush really thinks of you.