Prince Philip to visit Dubilin tomorrow.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Queen's husband, Prince Philip, is visiting Dublin tomorrow, fuelling speculation that the Queen will soon make a visit, which would be the first visit to Ireland by a monarch since 1911.

Prince Philip is famous for his spoken gaffes, and it wouldn't be surprising if he said something like "Do you eat many potatoes?" during the visit.

Prince Philip to visit Dublin tomorrow
Last updated: 25-04-06, 09:43

Britain's Prince Philip is to visit Dublin tomorrow, it emerged this morning.

The Duke of Edinburgh, the queen's husband, is to attend an awards ceremony with President Mary McAleese before paying a courtesy call on Taoiseach Bertie Ahern at Government buildings.

The event, in the National Concert Hall at 11am, marks the 21st anniversary of Gaisce - The President's Award and the 50th anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards.

Mrs McAleese and the duke will jointly present Gold Awards to 90 young people from throughout Ireland.

Following the ceremony, Mrs McAleese will host a private lunch for the duke at Iveagh House.

The visit has fuelled speculation of a visit by Queen Elizabeth to Ireland. It would be the first official visit of a British monarch since 1911.

In December Mrs McAleese said, after her first meeting with the queen on the island of Ireland, the timing of such a visit would be decided by the two governments and by the pace of political developments in the North.

The President and the queen, accompanied by the duke, had scheduled visits in Northern Ireland in December and decided to meet privately in Hillsborough Castle.

The two heads of state met for about half an hour at Hillsborough where they talked privately.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0425/royal.html

Prince Philipisms

On a visit to the new Welsh Assembly in Cardiff, he told a group of deaf children standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band, "Deaf? No wonder you are deaf standing so close to that racket."

Asked a Scottish driving instructor, "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough for them to pass the driving test?"

He asked an Indigenous Australian, "Still throwing spears?" (2002)

Said to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, "You can't have been here that long – you haven't got a pot belly." (1993)

To the President of Nigeria, who was dressed in traditional Muslim robes, "You look like you're ready for bed!"

Seeing a shoddily installed fuse box in a high-tech Edinburgh factory, HRH remarked that it looked "like it was put in by an Indian".

When a twelve-year-old boy told the Prince that he aspired to be an astronaut, His Highness responded, "You're too fat."

On a visit to Exeter Cathedral, he asked a blind woman with a guide dog, "Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?"

Visiting San Francisco in 1983, after meeting then-mayor Dianne Feinstein and several female members of the city council, he remarked, "Aren't there any male officials?... This is a nanny city."

Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (1994)
Said to an islander in the Cayman Islands.

"If you travel as much as we do you appreciate how much more comfortable aircraft have become. Unless you travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.." (2002)
Commenting during the Jubilee tour.

"The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.." (2002)
Commenting on the London traffic debate, after mayor Ken Livingstone launched his plan to charge motorists £5 to enter the city.

"French cooking's all very well, but they can't do a decent English breakfast.." (2002)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: HRH Prince Philip to Visit Dublin

Not to sound ignorant, but why has Her Majesty the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland not occurred in Ireland? Is there a significant amount of animosity toward the monarchy? I think that it would be rather amusing for His Royal Highness the Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh make another such "gaffe" — I hope that such a thing wouldn't impact the relationship between the United Kingdom and Ireland, of course, but it would be something funny to add to the "legacy" of His Highness. :D

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Because FiiveParadox, even though in Modern day Ireland, that is the Republic which is a different nation then the UK, had to throw off the yuk of British rule for hundreds of years. There is a lot of anger and hate on both sides. Though this is a good time to make amends as the Republic is becoming more and more seculer and the old feelings are going away. As two nations the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom can and will be friends.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
With that said I'm not a big fan of Prince Philip and I wish he were a little more tactful. I really do hope the Queen visits the Republic of Ireland, I do think the Irish are ready for this now. There has been enough time for most of our wounds to heal. Their is still the matter of the North of Ireland but citizens in the Republic I think are willing to wait and have largely accepted things won't change for awhile.