The Owners of Democracy at work in Nicaragua

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Weekend Edition
April 22 / 23, 2006
The Meddlesome Ambassador Trivelli

Whose Democracy is the US Supporting in Nicaragua?

By BRYNNE KEITH-JENNINGS

In Nicaragua, the US government continues to flex its muscles to achieve an electoral defeat of Daniel Ortega in the November presidential elections. Ortega, president during the Sandinista revolution in the 1980s, is running for president for the fourth time since his first defeat in 1990. As in other parts of the world, the U.S. continues to tout its support of democracy as the justification for intervening in the internal affairs of a sovereign state, an act that is in itself inherently undemocratic.

In a recent interview in the Nicaraguan news magazine Confidencial, U.S Ambassador Paul Trivelli stated, "What we are trying to do is to support the democratic process, and tell people that in this country, in the electoral process there are antidemocratic forces and there are democratic forces." Through his actions, however, Ambassador Trivelli has shown a strange understanding of the meaning of "support the democratic process".

Take the present month of April as an example. On April 5, 2006, Trivelli sent a letter to several political parties offering to fund primaries that would result in one presidential candidate in order to increase their chances of defeating Ortega. When this offer was rejected by the parties, all of whom had already declared their separate candidates, Trivelli chose another tactic. In a highly publicized meeting, Trivelli met with the leaders of the Liberal Constitutional Party (PLC), many who have been stripped of their U.S. visas, and close associates of the party leader, former U.S.-supported ex-President Arnoldo Aleman, who has been convicted of embezzling over $100 million from state coffers. Trivelli urged the party to participate in an effort to defeat Ortega, which would include ditching their candidate José Rizo, chosen in internal party elections earlier this year. When the party refused to remove their candidate, Trivelli went back to his rhetoric denouncing the PLC, stating, "A party that is controlled by Mr. Aleman is still not in the category of democratic parties" He then met with Presidential candidate Eduardo Montealegre, former PLC member who split from the party. In a statement that barely fell short of endorsing Montealegre, Trivelli stated that he is the democratic choice for the presidency.

Trivelli's recent actions prove that democracy is a fluid concept, one that applies when convenient for the US State Department. He negotiates with the PLC if it could mean the possibility of achieving an alliance to beat Daniel Ortega. When not successful, he reiterates that the PLC is undemocratic, another pressure tactic.

All of these actions then lead to the obvious question, "Why so much fear of Ortega?" In his rhetoric, Trivelli suggests that Ortega's term as president from 1984 to 1990 indicates that he does not know how to govern democratically, as quoted in the in the Nicaraguan daily La Prensa, "Ortega already governed, and he did so badly." Recent statements by both Condoleezza Rice and John Negroponte suggest that the fear is based on regional developments; that is, that Hugo Chavez from Venezuela is supporting Ortega, a longtime friend of Fidel Castro, in order to strengthen the relationships among leaders in the region.

Trivelli himself has stated that he would support anyone "elected democratically, who governs democratically, with a sensible economic policy and who is ready to cooperate with the United States on security issues." Although Ortega's rhetoric frequently challenges the role of the US in Nicaragua, in recent years, he has proven to be more a political opportunist than an ideologue or potential threat to the United States. He has not said that his government would renege on current IMF loans or otherwise alter the US-supported neoliberal reforms that the US define as "sensible economic policies". Regardless, it should be the Nicaraguan people, not U.S. policymakers, who decide whether or not he deserves a second term in office.

Beyond Trivelli's wavering definition of democracy, however, is the issue of Nicaraguan sovereignty and United States' interference in Nicaragua's internal politics. Why is a U.S. official attempting to form an electoral alliance in another country? Trivelli demonstrates his arrogancy and hypocrisy by acting in every way to impede the development of democracy in order to promote "the unity of democratic forces".

Since 1990, when U.S.-favored candidate Violeta Chamorro defeated Ortega in the elections, the US has been utilizing a much more subtle strategy towards Nicaragua and its neighbors than the military force of the 1980s. Having already shown these countries who is "boss", the US only needs to send messengers like Trivelli to remind countries like Nicaragua of what happens if they should depart too far from U.S.-favored policy. The peace that remains in Nicaragua after 1990 is a painful, bitter peace: a peace in which officials such as Trivelli feel free to intervene in internal politics as if they were another actor in the Nicaraguan system. Perhaps a larger movement would be necessary to change this relationship of domination and dependence. But as a diplomat, the very least Trivelli could do is to demonstrate an iota of respect for the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which states that "it is the duty of all persons enjoying such privileges and immunities not to interfere in the internal affairs of that State," and a respect for the people of Nicaragua, who have the right to political processes.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
it can sometimes be depressing hearing about nicaragua
------
after all these people have been through to still have the US interfere in their affairs-- all to prevent that most shocking of possiblities-- the breakout of genuine democrasy--

on the other hand the ---- resilience of such people-- i mean the leftists in latin america-- is often a profound source of inspiration for me--

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
no doubt there are injustices comitted by both sides

no question

unlike the middle east--ie the isrealis vs the palestians-- where i dont like to takes sides---
latin america--- is a place where--- for better or worse i take sides

though-- on a personal level--- theres no justification for your friends property being---
essentially stolen---

so dont make me into the bad guy-- im only identifying with the underdog

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Democracy in the U.S.A.

I would suggest that the notion that the United States of America is somehow inherently opposed to the principles of democracy is baseless and incorrect. There are defficiencies in terms of the administration of democracy in the United States, of course, but the same is true for any nation, to varying degrees.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
there a lot of truth to darkbeaver acusation
The US-- may not be inherently opposed to democrasy-- for itself--- even that however is hard won---

institutionally i believe it is opposed to democrasy--- abroad
in the sense that it often views democrasy---as
a zero sum game
particulary--- if yer from an essentially--nonenglish speaking--- symbolically nonwhite culture

sorry-- thats the way i often see it

just recite that long list of --- military interventions
if only in latin america---- in the 20th century

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

FiveParadox said:
I would suggest that the notion that the United States of America is somehow inherently opposed to the principles of democracy is baseless and incorrect. There are defficiencies in terms of the administration of democracy in the United States, of course, but the same is true for any nation, to varying degrees.

Oh but they are inherently opposed to democracy, long ago they figured out that you don't have to control the electorate if you control the candidates. Whoever gets the win invariable works for the system and not the people, you don't get to run unless you are part of the system, usually that means you got money or friends with money, sorry five but democracy in the states is minimal.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
No matter how you change the rules, the rich
gain the most influence on a daily basis.

The long trends are determined by grass roots, actions
and reactions by the masses.

In addition, there is the harsh nature of any process,
particularly of any country's politics where a prospective
candidate must suffer a gauntlet of abuse by the
people who are often no better than the candidate
and by the temptations of lobbyists.

Not one of us mere mortals would do well in this process.
Not one.

Either toilet paper would be trailing our
sphinter or we'd have some splatter from splashing a
big one.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

FiveParadox said:

The USA is not opposed nor in favour of democracy, but they will accept a democracy or a dictatorship as long as it is within their economic and political interests and denny the same to any dictatorship or democracy which is against their interests. The USA has supported yet has destoryed democracies in the past. BUT on the other hand the only other power during the 20th centry had a pretty sketchy record as well.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Main Entry: de·moc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: di-'mä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the U.S.
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority
5 : the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges

I went to the dictionary just in case I had forgotten the meaning
of the word.
The supreme power in the states is vested in capital not the people and if you look at #5 the US does not meet the requirments either since there clearly is class distinction which heavily favours the rich, most recently by thier massive tax advantages, which is a privilage.

I'm sorry FiveP but the states is democratic in name only. In practice they are very anti-democratic.And quess what it's much the same in Canada, rule by capital, not by people.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
darkbeaver said:
I'm sorry FiveP but the states is democratic in name only. In practice they are very anti-democratic.And quess what it's much the same in Canada, rule by capital, not by people.

That's true in many cases, democracy doesn't equate "all problems solved". Liberal Democracy is a much better ideal to strive for, IMHO.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Re: RE: The Owners of Democracy at work in Nicaragua

jimmoyer said:
No matter how you change the rules, the rich
gain the most influence on a daily basis.

The long trends are determined by grass roots, actions
and reactions by the masses.

In addition, there is the harsh nature of any process,
particularly of any country's politics where a prospective
candidate must suffer a gauntlet of abuse by the
people who are often no better than the candidate
and by the temptations of lobbyists.

Not one of us mere mortals would do well in this process.
Not one.

Either toilet paper would be trailing our
sphinter or we'd have some splatter from splashing a
big one.

And of course we exercise control of the masses through the media and thereby manipulate the long term trends of the grass roots by the necessary illusions required to manufacture concent.

Halaluja let the circle be unbroken. ......................AHMEN

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Said1 said:
darkbeaver said:

That's true in many cases, democracy doesn't equate "all problems solved". Liberal Democracy is a much better ideal to strive for, IMHO.

I think you're right Said1 but liberal democracy is not an idea or direction that capital has ever been interested in promoting , as a matter of fact capital avoids it like the plague. :)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
darkbeaver said:
Said1 said:
darkbeaver said:

I think you're right Said1 but liberal democracy is not an idea or direction that capital has ever been interested in promoting , as a matter of fact capital avoids it like the plague. :)

Markets are freer in Liberal/Constitutional Democracies. :p