AMERICA: CINDERELLA AND HER UGLY SISTERS

:idea: America: Cinderella and her Ugly Sisters

Once upon a time, the curiosity, intrepidity, and adventurous spirit of the descendants of a cosmopolitan civilization of Judeo-Greco-Roman origins, discovered a new continent that would grow in time, on the "downside" of Eden, economically.politically, culturally, and morally, into the most beautiful and fairest of her sex. But like all creatures who are made "in the prodigality of nature", she would ineluctably attract, and be victim of, the jealousy, envy, and hatred of the "ugly" world. Thus, the American Cinderella, at the peak and bloom of her economic, political, cultural, and military power, would draw upon herself the wrath and jealousy of her ugly sisters. This is in short the story of the vicissitudes and the fate of the American Cinderella in a hostile, enviable, and unequal world.

It's a stupendous fallacy, and tendentious to believe, that America is hated for its so-called economically exploitative policies, and its arrogant foreign policy, both of which, according to its critics, obstruct and prevent nascent nations from also basking under the sun of economic prosperity and political freedom. On the contrary, the main cause for this resentment against America by these nations, as well as by those with pretensions of global power, such as Russia, France, and Germany, which no longer perch on the top branch of the tree of political power, is the overwhelming and unassailable dominance that America exercises in the economic, political, cultural, scientific, and military spheres, over the rest of the world.

It's for this reason therefore wrong to premise, as her critics do, that only by changing these reprehensible and objectionable policies toward the less privileged nations and turbulent spots of the world , will America be able to stop the waves of hate from crashing against her shores-as if the emollient to hatred lies in benign actions.

Such analysis of the situation, however, is monstrously superficial and deeply flawed. The hatred against America has its roots in the curse of envy. It's America's conspicuous eminence in the above-named spheres, like Veblen's conspicuous consumption, that gives rise to envy among all peoples and nations, who cannot at this stage emulate it.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
That's part of it, but not all of it. Anyone who thinks American foreign policy has been completely benign or benevolent is out of their heads. America has culpability, but then so does every country. But because they are the biggest on the block they are the easiest target.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The plate is there for anyone willing to take the step up....

What's stopping other countries?

What drives "America" as people call it?

Perhaps commitment is the most difficult part. Once you start making things happen, right or wrong, it is hard to back off.

Many "Americans" would prefer backing off and enjoying the fruits of their labors. The petulance of others is wearing.

There is the "deep end of the pool"....have a try.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
W.C. wrote:
What drives "America" as people call it?

The same thing that drives a number of western countries, including Canada. Corporate greed.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wish people understood the concept of America better.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Right....it's like when you pretended to not know what the diffrence between the New World and the Old World is.

I'm not buying it.

I wish for a lot of things I don't get, I can live with it.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's not as if you're in some Privy Council, Jay. :p It's not classified information.

I'm sincerely curious as to what the "concept of America" is. Aside from a particularly arrogant (in my opinion) stance on its relations with foreign bodies, I don't see anything in particular — other than our histories — that would cause any great difference between Canada, and our southern neighbour, the United States of America.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
The fact is that many, if not most of the people that the drooling scum that floats on the US media cesspool call "Lefties" and "America-haters", are deeply respectful of and attached to what America stands for at her best: a place of ideas, creativity, learning, refuge, initiative, democracy and opportunity. They recall when the front page of Le Monde read "Nous sommes tous des Americains".

When the smirking chimp and his minions conduct electoral fraud, refuse to investigate the greatest single event of mass-murder in the country's history, spy illegally on US citizens, commit the worst of all war crimes, and many lesser ones, lie to their people and to the world in order to justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands for the profits of a few corporations, manufacture news stories, cheat the soldiers who are fighting for their country, encourage terrorists, trash the economy, export US jobs, attempt to dismantle the social safety net, fail to protect citizens from natural disasters and then lie about it, take no responsibility for their actions and demean the Presidency, and then brand those who love their country enough to speak out against this swamp of incompetence and corruption as "traitors"-- is it any wonder that it is precisely the people who most care for what America can be at her best who oppose monkey-boy and his henchmen with all they've got?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Treasonous Lefties

Good post, pastafarian. Je suis d'accord, plus ou moins.

I have noticed that (from what I have seen, looking in from the outside) in the United States of America, there tends to be accusations from both sides of the spectrum (that is, from both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party) of the "other side" being comprised of treasonous persons with no respect for the United States of America. However, living in Canada, perhaps I have not assessed the situation correctly.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Lots of leaders are trying to dismantle the social safety net right now, in fact it's an EU membership requirment - reduced social spending.

Russia and China are pressing for the Security Counsil to take action in against private citizens committing/promoting/contributing to genocide in Drafur through the International Crimminal Court of Justice as oppossed to actual action agaist the government. At least this will avoid sanctions, keeping the oil flowing, eh? Is that what we would call a 'win-win' situation?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It actually shocks me when people buy this stuff. The easiest way to get someone to believe something seems to be by appealing to their ego.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
pastafarian said:
When the smirking chimp and his minions conduct electoral fraud, refuse to investigate the greatest single event of mass-murder in the country's history, spy illegally on US citizens, commit the worst of all war crimes, and many lesser ones, lie to their people and to the world in order to justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands for the profits of a few corporations, manufacture news stories, cheat the soldiers who are fighting for their country, encourage terrorists, trash the economy, export US jobs, attempt to dismantle the social safety net, fail to protect citizens from natural disasters and then lie about it, take no responsibility for their actions and demean the Presidency, and then brand those who love their country enough to speak out against this swamp of incompetence and corruption as "traitors"-- is it any wonder that it is precisely the people who most care for what America can be at her best who oppose monkey-boy and his henchmen with all they've got?
Mikey Moore or Saddam Hussein could not have painted it better.
:roll:

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
Let's play a little game:

Which two people on this list have invaded countries that didn't pose them any threat, had their soldiers torture Iraqi civilians, shaken hands with Donald Rumsfeld?

a) Saddam Hussein
b) Michael Moore
c) George W Bush
d) pastafarian
e) Fabio

Gee, two of these people have a lot in common... :lol:

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
zoofer said:
Mikey Moore or Saddam Hussein could not have painted it better. :roll:

I realized Micheal Moore had an eloquent and entertaining way of exposing things that were uncomfortable to right wing zealots, much like pastafarian did in his post.

But I didn't know that Saddam had the same flair with words. Thanks for the info..

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
pastafarian said:
Let's play a little game:

Which two people on this list have invaded countries that didn't pose them any threat, had their soldiers torture Iraqi civilians, shaken hands with Donald Rumsfeld?

a) Saddam Hussein
b) Michael Moore
c) George W Bush
d) pastafarian
e) Fabio

Gee, two of these people have a lot in common... :lol:

Ooohhhh, I know, I know, pick me!!
d) and e)

No, darn. Ok, I'll take a wild guess:
a) and c)