US Terror Suspects Making Canadian Stops

Should the CIA be able to route terror suspects' flights through Canada without the consent of the G

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Honourable Peter Mackay, P.C., M.P., the Member for Central Nova and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is considering bringing the issue of a possible breach of the sovereignty of Canada to the attention of his counterpart in the United States of America.

Amnesty International has discovered that at least twelve flights may have touched down in Canada, carrying unconvicted terror suspects to secret locations, for the purpose of interrogation or incarceration, since 2001; the aircraft were found to have landed at an airport in the Province of Newfoundland.

:arrow: Discussion and Debate

Do you think that the Central Intelligence Agency of the United States of America should have the right to route aircraft carrying terror suspects through Canada, without the prior permission of the Government of Canada? Do you think that the Government should consent to this traffic, or do you think that steps should be taken to force the United States to cease this practice?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
They do not get off the plane as it is probably a refueling stop.
Only 12 out of the thousands they have captured? What about the hundreds released from Gitmo and returned to their home countries?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
FiveParadox said:
The Honourable Peter Mackay, P.C., M.P., the Member for Central Nova and Minister of Foreign Affairs, is considering bringing the issue of a possible breach of the sovereignty of Canada to the attention of his counterpart in the United States of America.

Amnesty International has discovered that at least twelve flights may have touched down in Canada, carrying unconvicted terror suspects to secret locations, for the purpose of interrogation or incarceration, since 2001; the aircraft were found to have landed at an airport in the Province of Newfoundland.

:arrow: Discussion and Debate

Do you think that the Central Intelligence Agency of the United States of America should have the right to route aircraft carrying terror suspects through Canada, without the prior permission of the Government of Canada? Do you think that the Government should consent to this traffic, or do you think that steps should be taken to force the United States to cease this practice?

They have no right to do that, and then we turn around and pretend to be for human rights , we are just like the americans, and even worst , we have no opinion, except being hypocryte on those issue.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Irwin Cotler made the statement a number of times that rights are secondary to security concerns.

Probably the previous governement of Canada gave their permission for these flights to land knowing fully the status of individuals aboard.

pcalnan

Apr 6, 2006
Ottawa
The problem with this issue is that there's an assumption that the Canadian government is collaborating on this by allowing these things to happen. I have serious doubts that the CIA or any other intelligence organization is going to advertise what it is doing and so my assumption, correct or incorrect, is that there were no announcements or notifications made of these flights or their destinations. Ignorance does not excuse violating human rights but I think it would be extremely difficult to verify that the passengers on board all flights that land in or fly out of Canadian airports aren't being transported to torture sites. Wouldn't it be difficult to give consent without prior knowledge?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
sanch said:
Irwin Cotler made the statement a number of times that rights are secondary to security concerns.

Probably the previous governement of Canada gave their permission for these flights to land knowing fully the status of individuals aboard.

I'm just trying to understand how this is any of our business.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jay said:
sanch said:

I'm just trying to understand how this is any of our business.

What's not our business? Caring about what government does and just blindly trusting them?

There are two options: The Canadian government was aware of who was on the plane; or they decided that they did not want to be officially told who was on the plane. Either way they knew. The second version simply offers deniability.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
As soon as we get a grip on hate being preached in Mosques in the GTA I'll be more than happy to raise the Issue about flights touching down and taking off from our Airports.

My aren't we a bunch of self righteous hypocrites.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I go to Church...I haven't ever heard any thing that even remotely resembles hate speech.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh for heaven's sake....

Planes don't just land at airports large enough for international flights withour prior permission.

Even on the 9/11 diversion of flights into Canadian airspace there was still permission requested and granted - even though those planes could have been operated by terrorists.

Unless it is an emergency - the flight plans have already been approved by the CAA (or whatever it's called) for this flight schedule - both landing and take off.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh and did I mention "Amnesty International"..... is a group which one day (and I will not be surprised) one day will set nations against each other - as they are attempting to do with Canada and the U.S. and you people eat it up.

Think ahead for heaven's sake....

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I look at this issue this way: We don't know diddly squat compared to what our governments know, it's not like they are going to tell Joe or Jane Doe about all the information they have from Intel gathering. I suspect the information our Governments' have about terrorism would frighten me to death. I elected them now I have to trust their doing their jobs by protecting Canadians/US.

No I don't have a problem with the flights.

I have never heard a RC Priest preach hate, fear, or spread propagand during a sermon. In latin or English. The same goes for the Salavation Army.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have heard members of Churches preach hatred toward others before — during the debate on same-sex marriage in the United States of America, for example; there were statements made during that debate that could be considered to be hate propaganda, by any definition of the term.

:arrow: To the Topic at Hand

I don't think that the Central Intelligence Agency should have the right to route such traffic through Canada, without informing the Government of Canada — it is encroaching upon the sovereignty of Canada for the United States to route such controversial traffic through Canada without informing the Government of their intentions. Both this Government, and the previous Government of Canada, have stated that the CIA, nor any institution in the United States, has informed Canada of any such traffic through proper channels.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
FIVEPARADOX:there were statements made during that debate that could be considered to be hate propaganda, by any definition of the term.

I think were talking apples and oranges Five.
Cheers
M

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
America doesn't have hate speech laws...they would be illegal.