Sad news.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A bit harsh, don't you think, cortez?

I cannot find anything to indicate any sort of "fascist tendencies" on the past of Mr. Weinberger.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Text:
BUSH PARDONS WEINBERGER, FIVE OTHERS TIED TO IRAN-CONTRA

(Calls Weinberger "true American patriot") (650) By Dian McDonald USIA White House Correspondent Washington -- President Bush December 24 granted pardons to former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger and five other individuals for their conduct related to the Iran-Contra affair.

Bush said Weinberger -- who had been scheduled to go on trial in Washington January 5 on charges related to Iran-Contra -- was a "true American patriot," who had served with "distinction" in a series of public positions since the late 1960s.

"I am pardoning him not just out of compassion or to spare a 75-year-old patriot the torment of lengthy and costly legal proceedings, but to make it possible for him to receive the honor he deserves for his extraordinary service to our country," Bush said in a proclamation granting executive clemency.

The president also pardoned five other persons who already had pleaded guilty or had been indicted or convicted in connection with the Iran-Contra arms-for-hostages investigation. They were Elliott Abrams, a former assistant secretary of state for Inter-American affairs; former National Security Adviser Robert McFarlane; and Duane Clarridge, Alan Fiers, and Clair George, all former employees of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Explaining those pardons, Bush said the "common denominator of their motivation -- whether their actions were right or wrong -- was patriotism." They did not profit or seek to profit from their conduct,
Bush said, adding that all five "have already paid a price -- in depleted savings, lost careers, anguished families -- grossly disproportionate to any misdeeds or errors of judgment they may have committed."

How many innocent people did these jerks cause the death of? Killing innocent people and pardoning criminals. Fits Bush like a glove.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
#juan said:
Text:
BUSH PARDONS WEINBERGER, FIVE OTHERS TIED TO IRAN-CONTRA

How many innocent people did these jerks cause the death of? Killing innocent people and pardoning criminals. Fits Bush like a glove.

i must object to your refering to these people as jerks--
a jerk is someone who say--- gets drunk and starts a bar fight over nothing

these people are fascists
that is what caspar and the gang were
may they rot in hell

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
karra said:
the death of a dirty fascist
great news
rest in hell
Jeepers, cortez - there's a suspiciously distinct resemblance between this post and one celebrating the death of Ronnie. . . .

i wasnt on the forum at the time
so it must have been my evil twin ---carlos

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: Sad news.

FiveParadox said:
A bit harsh, don't you think, cortez?

I cannot find anything to indicate any sort of "fascist tendencies" on the past of Mr. Weinberger.

oh---
i get it
you were trying to be funny----

but seriously are you getting all the info ya need to improve the conservative parties PR strategies

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
BOREL, Arthur David Little Rock, Arkansas Odometer rollback
BOREL, Douglas Charles Conway, Arkansas Odometer rollback

Hehe that kills me

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jay

I loved the blanks on the list for Clinton....especially Marc Rich....who is hiding in Europe..wanted for criminal acts in the U.S. - he donated millions to the Clintons after they were finished in the White House - through his wife's "special pleas to Bubba"....

http://www.fas.org/news/iran/1992/921224-260039.htm

Quotation lifted from the Link above

Explaining those pardons, Bush said the "common denominator of their motivation -- whether their actions were right or wrong -- was patriotism." They did not profit or seek to profit from their conduct, Bush said, adding that all five "have already paid a price -- in depleted savings, lost careers, anguished families -- grossly disproportionate to any misdeeds or errors of judgment they may have committed."

Asked about the pardons at a news conference in Little Rock, Arkansas, later in the day, President-elect Clinton said he did not have all the details on the matter and would withhold comment until he had had a chance to study the president's statement and related information.

However, Clinton said he was concerned "by any action which sends a signal that, if you work for the government, you're above the law, or that not telling the truth to Congress under oath is somehow less serious than not telling the truth to some other body under oath."

The Iran-Contra affair involved the secret sale of weapons to Iran in exchange for the release of American hostages held in Lebanon by pro-Iranian terrorists and the diversion of money from that sale to provide support for anti-communist resistance fighters in Nicaragua known as the "Contras."

Weinberger had been charged by independent counsel Lawrence Walsh with four counts of lying to congressional Iran-Contra investigators in 1987 and to Walsh's prosecutors in 1990. His case involved allegations that he had concealed from congressional investigators his personal notes that detailed events related to Iran-Contra and which reportedly undermined what then-President Reagan said about the origins and operations of the covert arms-for-hostages dealings. Weinberger had pleaded not guilty and said he was being unfairly prosecuted.

I guess bargaining for hostages is the devil's work according to some - while Clinton (see link above) should have paid rapt attention to his words on that fateful day!

I know very little about Weinberger's work in the government, but it seems to me that upon his death respect might have been shown and personal vendetta withheld.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
My favorite?

Roger Clinton, the former president's younger half-brother, was pardoned for a 1985 cocaine-related offence. Roger Clinton pleaded guilty to the charge and served more than a year in prison. The presidential pardon erases his criminal record - but he was arrested and charged with drink driving in California a month after the pardon. He also faces a charge of disturbing the peace for allegedly challenging a nightclub doorman to a fight.

But Bill Clinton didn't do coke.....

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
Jay

I know very little about Weinberger's work in the government, but it seems to me that upon his death respect might have been shown and personal vendetta withheld.

like the day hitler and regean died
a day of joyous celebration
my he rot in hell

.. hows that for respect!