Exorcising Democrats?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
CNN presented REV. BOB LARSON, EXORCIST on that 360 guy-with-two-last-names show today. Guys like BOB LARSON, EXORCIST speak in code to mix religion with politics. I found an interesting correlation between the number of possessed people BOB LARSON, EXORCIST claims there are in America and the voting results in last election.

COOPER: Well, if you say "exorcism," most people think of an ancient ritual involving a priest and maybe Linda Blair. Certainly that's the version you're likely to have seen in the movies. But the phenomenon is closer to home for a growing number of people, and it is taking on a whole different look.

CNN's Tom Foreman investigates.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

TOM FOREMAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice over): From the moment he arrived on the brown outskirts of Tulsa, Bob Larson was getting the devil out. What might be called his personal theme song pounds through the room as he starts tonight's session at a local hotel. And it is appropriate. Bob Larson is an exorcist.

REV. BOB LARSON, EXORCIST: The power of Jesus Christ is available now. Not 2,000 years ago. Now, to destroy the works of darkness.

Christ dealt with demons. I mean, the bible was full of it. It's right here in the book. We can't escape it.

So I'm -- you know, I'm doing what's normal. If the rest of the people think I'm abnormal, I think they're the ones who are out of step with scripture.

FOREMAN: As it is, many people are falling in step with Larson, mesmerized by his public confrontations with people who say they are possessed by devils.

LARSON: And I defy you in the name of the living.

(SINGING): My deliverer is coming. My deliverer is standing by.

FOREMAN: Larson is not alone. The Catholic Church is training more exorcists. And one religion scholar says more than 600 deliverance ministries have popped up in Protestant churches around the country. The common belief driving them all: demons really do move among us.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I believe there's demonic influence in the world.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He moves in the supernatural, and I want to be around it.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Really, I expect to see some pretty wild stuff.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that there were demons.

FOREMAN: On this night, Sherry Kritenton (ph) gives a typical example of how these demons show themselves. One minute, just sitting in the crowd...

LARSON: Get out of the way. Get in the backseat and let the devil drive.

FOREMAN: ... the next, howling, writhing, and in a strange voice screaming at Larson.

LARSON: Who are you? Who are you? Is this a setup, or a show? Larson insists it is neither.

He says some people try to fool him. Some people have obvious mental conditions. But there is no mistaking a person possessed.

LARSON: There's something I refer to as "that look." It's the look of a demon. And once you see it, believe me, you never forget it. You're looking into the heart of hell and hell is staring back at you.

FOREMAN: Broad interest in all of this goes back to 1973, when "The Exorcist" scared the devil out of millions of movie fans. Larson's interest dates to about that time.

A Nebraska farm boy, he was a rock musician, became an inspirational speaker, then a Christian broadcaster. And along the way he says he started running into possessed souls.

LARSON: No, it was the real deal. I knew it was the real deal.

FOREMAN: So now he spends almost all his time preaching the gospel of deliverance. Christian TV...

LARSON: If you think you're tormented by the devil, who are you going to call, where are you going to go and what are you going to do?

FOREMAN: ... through videos and through exorcisms. As he pulls demons from his audience, he also pulls dollars through offerings, sales of books, disks. He says he doesn't profit, but he is using the money to train deliverance ministry teams all over.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I divide soul and spirit.

FOREMAN: He believes no one should be more than a day's drive from an exorcist, especially these days.

LARSON: Crime, violence, drugs, the horrendous rise in sexual abuse in our country, all of this is an environment of human suffering that demons can feed on.

FOREMAN (on camera): Do you believe that most people have demons in them?

LARSON: I would say it's close to half the population.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sacrifice your children!

LARSON: Come out and be with Jesus. Come out! Come out!

FOREMAN (voice over): After a long confrontation, Sherry's (ph) demon appeared to be driven out. Sherry (ph) wept, the crowd applauded, and the exorcist called it a night.

LARSON: I could go another four or five hours. I feel great. I feel fine.

FOREMAN (on camera): How is that possible? This just looks physically and mentally exhausting.

LARSON: It is. It is. But it's what god has called me to do. I mean, I'm so excited. I mean, Sherry (ph) is a different person.

FOREMAN (voice over): She says so, even though she also says she's been possessed four times and exorcised twice.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: God's brought me a long way in a short amount of time, and I think it's a continuing process.

FOREMAN: That's good enough for Larson.

(on camera): Do you believe that lives that are changed this way are truly permanently changed?

LARSON: Some yes and some no. No pun intended, some get repossessed. I mean, I'm serious, they do.

FOREMAN: After all, he says this is an eternal struggle between heaven and hell and the desperate souls caught somewhere in between.

Tom Foreman, CNN, Tulsa.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

COOPER: Wow, possessed four times. Where she's hanging out?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Isn't it easy to find an idiot straw man ?

Isn't it easy to knock it down?

This is a tale told by an idiot, full of...

Big deal.

This type casting of the election results is shallow,
posing as wisdom but nevertheless
unrepresentative of the true picture.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Exorcising Democrats?

jimmoyer said:
Isn't it easy to find an idiot straw man ?

Isn't it easy to knock it down?

This is a tale told by an idiot, full of...

Big deal.

This type casting of the election results is shallow,
posing as wisdom but nevertheless
unrepresentative of the true picture.

Shallow? Wake up.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Oh Kreskin, Canadians talk about how little Americans
know of Canada. Hmmm, amazing how that happens
the same way for Canadians.

If you're using that as a representative example
of 60 million votes, then you need to re-examine the
immense detail that eludes you.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

jimmoyer said:
Oh Kreskin, Canadians talk about how little Americans
know of Canada. Hmmm, amazing how that happens
the same way for Canadians.

If you're using that as a representative example
of 60 million votes, then you need to re-examine the
immense detail that eludes you.
The lunatic right and their religious-speak is all over federal politics down south. It is patently obvious. Just who do you think he was referring to, the nutjobs in the south who voted for Moron? Get a grip.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Sorry Kreskin, that story does not represent
60 million who voted for Bush.

I certainly wouldn't presume to use a cartoon
to depict the 60 million who voted against Bush either.

60 million, Kreskin.

But you don't have to agree that the picture is
more varied or detailed, you can cherish your own
view on the matter. I know its heartless to destroy
your narrative.

I grew up around Philly and fished every summer
on the Rideau Lakes in Ontario near Seely's Bay
and now I live in Virginia,
and you're just a voyeur watching the media seize
on to the dramatic.

It got your attention.

It got you sold.

Buy another magazine.

You're a consumer.

The news must be right in its market analysis of its
audience.

I'm often shocked by the left in its elitist view of
the public. They used to honor the public. They use
to have faith in the little voter. Now they believe
cartoons represent them.

And the conservatives love big business.

Nowhere to turn.

Joker to the Left
Clown to the Right
Stuck in the middle with you...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

jimmoyer said:
Sorry Kreskin, that story does not represent
60 million who voted for Bush.

I certainly wouldn't presume to use a cartoon
to depict the 60 million who voted against Bush either.

60 million, Kreskin.

But you don't have to agree that the picture is
more varied or detailed, you can cherish your own
view on the matter. I know its heartless to destroy
your narrative.

I grew up around Philly and fished every summer
on the Rideau Lakes in Ontario near Seely's Bay
and now I live in Virginia,
and you're just a voyeur watching the media seize
on to the dramatic.

It got your attention.

It got you sold.

Buy another magazine.

You're a consumer.

The news must be right in its market analysis of its
audience.

I'm often shocked by the left in its elitist view of
the public. They used to honor the public. They use
to have faith in the little voter. Now they believe
cartoons represent them.

And the conservatives love big business.

Nowhere to turn.

Joker to the Left
Clown to the Right
Stuck in the middle with you...

Jim, you don't need every last person in the country to cast a vote to get a statistical representation. If everyone in the country did it would be +/- 3% of the existing result.

You and I both know, religious leaders were saying you couldn't be a Christian if you supported the Democratic platform. Compassionate Conservatism - codespeak for anti-gay ant-abortion and all the faith-based initiatives. It certainly didn't mean compassion for kids getting their limbs ripped off in Iraq.