Harper Meets with Aziz and Karzai

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yesterday, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southeast and Prime Minister of Canada had discussions with two key persons in the anti-terrorism initiative, discussing the development of freedom and democracy in the region.

Prime Minister Harper met with His Excellency Hamid Karzai, the President of Afghanistan in Kabul, in relation to hurdles that the nation still has to face in terms of rebuilding the country as a free and democratic society. The President expressed thanks for the offers of Canadian support throughout the process thus far.

Prime Minister Harper also conducted a meeting with His Excellency Shaukat Aziz, the Prime Minister of Pakistan in Islamabad, to discuss the co-operation between Canada and Pakistan regarding the reconstruction and redevelopment of the area after the 2005 earthquake.

The Web site for the [i said:
Office of the Prime Minister[/i]]Ottawa, Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Government of Canada recently announced that its development funding level for Afghanistan will remain at $100 million for 2006-07, the same as the previous year. This will bring Canada's total contribution to over $650 million between 2001 and 2009. Canada has played a significant role in assisting the Afghan government's efforts to enhance security, create new economic opportunities and address the challenge of combating illegal drugs.

Click here to read the entire article, in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire l'article entier, en français.
:arrow: My Opinion

I am quite happy to see Prime Minister Harper taking steps to ensure that our relationships with these nations in such trying times remains a strong and effective one; I am also happy to see that the Government of Canada under the Conservative Party of Canada has elected to continue to uphold the same amount of funding as had been committed in the past.

I only hope that our anti-terrorism initiative is not cut short by a vote in the House of Commons — the Canadian Armed Forces are an important factor in the reconstruction of peace and good government in the area, and I hope that the current Cabinet realizes that they should prompt any domestic discussions on their own terms, before any opposition party has a chance to force otherwise.

:?: Sources
Click here for the Web site of the Office of the Prime Minister.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
There is not an ounce of doubt in my mind that our Troops are need there to help re-build and stablize this country.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As do I, lol.

I am just happy to see him showing solidarity, though, on behalf of Canada (although I wouldn't blink if he were defeated on the Speech From the Throne, hehe).

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five a thread where agreeing reigns, hell I'm stunned. These past two days there has been way to much hostility and hatefull tones. Ah, I hope for peace.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Brillant Five, I will agree with everyone who comes to this thread. No matter how they torture and insult us we will dish out hugs and kisses.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
umm -- no thanks well maybe,,,,
if it was a platonic hug
i was thinking more of lassie but that was very funny!
lol!