Slobodan Milosevic is dead.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Slobodan Milosevic Dies in Prison

Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has died in The Hague, it has been confirmed.

Milosevic, 64, who was on trial for war crimes, was found in his prison cell at the UN detention centre near The Hague, the UN tribunal said.

A spokesman said he had apparently died of natural causes. He was known to have heart problems.

Milosevic had been on trial since February 2002, defending himself against 66 counts, including genocide, in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.

The hearings were repeatedly interrupted by his poor health and chronic heart condition, but had been entering the final phase.

The tribunal was recessed last week until Tuesday to await the next defence witness.

Milosevic's death comes less than a week after the star witness in his trial, former Croatian Serb leader Milan Babic, was found dead in the same prison.

Babic, who was serving a 13-year prison sentence and testified against Milosevic in 2002, committed suicide.

The tribunal spokesman said Milosevic had previously been classified as a suicide risk by the trial authorities.

His father killed himself when Milosevic was a teenager and his mother hanged herself 10 years later.

At the time of his arrest there were reports that Milosevic threatened to take his own life rather than be put into captivity.

A full autopsy and toxicological examination of Milosevic's body has been ordered, according to a tribunal spokesman.

The guard who discovered the body immediately called doctors but Milosevic was pronounced dead, he added.

Milosevic was due to complete his defence at the war crimes tribunal this summer, and had reportedly used up about 90 per cent of his allocated 360 hours of court time.

Among the most serious charges he faced involved responsibility for the massacre of more than 8,000 Bosnian Muslims in the enclave of Srebrenica in July 1995.

He also faced allegations concerning the 1999 war in Kosovo, which prompted Nato to launch a bombing campaign against Serbia.

Kosovo's Deputy Prime Minister Lufi Haziri said: "Unfortunately, he did not face justice for crimes he has committed in Kosovo as well."

aol.news.com

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ding-dong the witch is dead
Which old witch? The wicked witch
Ding-dong the wicked witch is dead
Wake up you sleepyhead
Rub your eyes, get out of bed
Wake up the wicked witch is dead
He's gone where the goblins go
Below - below - below
Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low
Let them know the Wicked Witch is dead

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Slobodan Milosevic is

About time. Pretty sad that when you're on trial at The Hauge you die of old age in your cell before they sentance you.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
U.N.: Milosevic's Death 'Pity for Justice'

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The death of Slobodan Milosevic deprived victims of justice and made it more urgent to catch and extradite other Balkan leaders implicated in atrocities, the chief U.N. prosecutor said Sunday.

Carla Del Ponte also said suicide could not be ruled out as the cause of his death until the results of the autopsy were released Sunday evening.

"You have the choice between normal, natural death and suicide," she said, declining to comment on speculation that Milosevic may have been poisoned.

Milosevic, 64, was found dead in his prison cell Saturday, abruptly ending his four-year U.N. war crimes trial for orchestrating a decade of conflict that killed 250,000 people and tore the Yugoslav federation asunder.

"It is a great pity for justice that the trial will not be completed and no verdict will be rendered," Del Ponte said.

She said the trials of eight other suspects indicted for the massacre of some 8,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica in 1995 will help establish the record on Milosevic's involvement in the worst slaughter in Europe since World War II.

She said was "more urgent than ever" to arrest former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and his top military officer, Ratko Mladic, who were indicted in 1995 on charges of orchestrating the massacre. Both remain at large.

Milosevic's death came nearly five years after he was arrested by Serb authorities and extradited to The Hague as the first sitting head of state ever to be indicted for war crimes.

His chronic heart ailments and high blood pressure had caused numerous long recesses in his trial on 66 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Del Ponte said the trial had been close to completion. After 466 trial days, only 50 days remained and it was due to finish this spring, she told reporters at the U.N. Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

Serbia sent a pathologist to observe the autopsy Sunday at the Netherlands Forensic Institute. Reporters were not allowed inside the institute, which is under the authority of the Dutch Justice Ministry. It was not known when the results of the examination would be released.

Milosevic's older brother, Borislav, said the family did not trust the tribunal to carry out an impartial autopsy. He also blamed the tribunal for his brother's death because it rejected his request to get medical treatment in Russia, which offered assurances that Milosevic would be returned to finish his trial.

Zdenko Tomanovic, the defendant's legal adviser, told Serbia's independent B-92 radio from The Hague that Slobodan Milosevic had complained that "someone wants to poison" him.

A leader of beguiling charm and cunning ruthlessness, Milosevic was reviled by the United States as "the butcher of the Balkans," but was a hero to many Serbs, despite losing four wars and impoverishing his people in the 1990s while trying to create a "Greater Serbia" linking Serbia with Serb-dominated areas of Croatia and Bosnia.

World leaders who dealt with Milosevic and many of the victims of the Balkan wars lamented that no verdict would be reached.

"I am sorry that his trial will not be completed, and that he did not acknowledge and apologize for his crimes before his death," said former President Bill Clinton, whose decision to authorize NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999 helped bring Milosevic down.

"Nevertheless, his capture and trial will serve as a reminder that egregious crimes against humanity will not be tolerated," Clinton said in a statement released by his office in New York.

Milosevic was accused of being behind a brutal campaign of ethnic cleansing against non-Serbs during the wars that erupted as the Yugoslav federation began breaking apart in 1991, and his death was cheered by many in the Balkans.

Milosevic's trial and Saddam Hussein's war crimes proceeding in Iraq were widely seen as together constituting the most important legal test for the international community since German and Japanese leaders were tried after World War II.

Both trials drew stiff criticism over frequent interruptions and the ability of the defendants to use the courtroom as a stage to launch vitriolic anti-Western diatribes. Reveling in the spotlight, Milosevic insisted on being his own defense lawyer.

He was able to stay as the Serbs' leader for 13 years despite a crumbling economy and increasing international isolation. He once described himself as the "Ayatollah Khomeini of Serbia," assuring his prime minister, Milan Panic, that "the Serbs will follow me no matter what."

But in the end, his people abandoned him: first in October 2000, when he was unable to convince most Yugoslavs that he had staved off electoral defeat by Vojislav Kostunica, and again on April 1, 2001, when he surrendered after a 26-hour standoff to face criminal charges.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060312/ap_on_re_eu/milosevic

Sublime

Electoral Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toronto
He isn't a war criminal, may he RIP, he's just the fall guy for there *out of control army*.

I think some guy said it best once....

"It's better to look evil , than impotent"

P.S. I have no idea what i'm talking about, now keep on saying that over and over in your head, rince and repeat.

VOJVODA

Mar 14, 2006
corporate nation

Milosevic fought the wars to stay alive, I think he loved himself more than anybody which leads me to conclusion that he was assassinated in his cell. He is not kind of men to turn on himself regardless of his families suicidal record. He got removed by the CIA due to his substantial knowledge implicating many western leaders including those of the United States in the involvment of breaking up Yugoslavia into many powerless countries. Once again we can see that there are more dangerous men outthere than Milosevic and yet they are the ones deciding on major world issues without ever being prosecuted for the crimes they commited not just against the Serbian people but many other innocent people that were subjected to harm and torment in order to expand capitalism and their new world order. They can kill, murder, exploit, bomb, use chemical, biological and even nuclear weapons all in the name of freedom and democracy and yet be able to get away without ever standing a trial. The Nato media is awesome I have to admit that they did an incredible job deceiving the whole world in order to pursue their agenda. Milosevic is dead, and the world is a better place without him, but it is not Milosevic that I worry about, rather it is people like Bush, Blare, Wesly Clark , Richard Hobrook and others that scare me. I wander who the next "Hitler" is going to be. Yesterday it was Milosevic, Today it is Bin Laden and in the future it is whoever the United States and NATO wants it to be. Who is next on their list: maybe Iran? Korea? Syria? to be continued!

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

He isn't a war criminal, may he RIP, he's just the fall guy for there *out of control army*.

My god I really hope that's a joke. I did a tour in The Former Yugoslavia, and let me tell you, he ranks right up there with Adolf Hitler.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
He got removed by the CIA due to his substantial knowledge implicating many western leaders including those of the United States in the involvment of breaking up Yugoslavia into many powerless countries. Once again we can see that there are more dangerous men outthere than Milosevic ...
----------------------VOJVODA--------------------------

Each one of these observations and each one of these
assumptions in the quote above are simple inaccurate.

Yugoslavia shares the same fate Iraq does.
Both countries share many similarities.

Why?

1. Both were artificially created after World War I.
2. Both were created for the same reasons.
3. Both have ethic and religious ancient rivalries
that predate their creation by thousands of years.

4. Both begot leaders who would have grown more
dangerous and powerful and if allowed to fester THEY
would have chosen the moment for war when WE
were less ready (further evidenced by Saddam avowing his mistake publicly for not having nuclear weapons in the backround when invading Kuwait and by Milosovec
agreeing with uber ethnic cleansing for Serbian power.)

5. Both have erupted in a cauldron of ethnic
and religious rivalry never stamped out by a strongman
but outlasting them to have their day and this
bitter feud was to have its day whether the strongman
dictator died peacefully or removed forcefully.

6. In both cases, both strongmen dictators threatened
the stability of the region by its own inherent instabilites
lying nascent beneath we western headline voyeurs.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
It's amazing how Clinton's and Bush's CIA got Slovenians in 1991 and then Croatians later that year and then Bosnians in 1996 and then Macedonians and then Montenegro
and Kosovo citizens in 1999 to seek independence from
Serbia, and then Montenegro and Kosovo still won't
get full autonomy for 2 reasons and then it's amazing that NATO
dilly dallied for almost 8 years before they stopped the
slaughter, the ethnic cleansing ----something Europe morally
promised to the world this would never happen again
in their own backyard after WORLD WAR II.

orpheus

Nominee Member
Mar 14, 2006
Canada, I would presume.
I read in my local newspaper (The Star Pheonix) that they have evidence that he was taking certain medications that weren't ordered by his doctors. Apparently he did this so he could be taken to a Russian hospital. They've also denied the possibility of murder and suicide.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Actually there was European influence in the break up of Yugoslavia. And European and American forces backed Croatian ethnic clensing in their war of Serbia, just look at Medal Pocket, U.N peacekeepers were attacked by Croatia with no complaint by America or Europe.

And in Kosovo, even though Serbians killed thousands of Kosovians there were also thousands of Serbs killed and barely anything was done.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
As you can see by these posts, no 4 year trial by
the World Court in The Hague, in the Netherlands (funny
name that Dutch) can ever prove anything.

Especially to the experts on this board.

Let's hear it for the World Court in The Hague !!