The "Freddy Krueger" killer.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Times March 02, 2006

Horror fantasy of killer 'obsessed by Freddy Krueger'
By Steve Bird

A SCHIZOPHRENIC who murdered four people to fulfil his ambition of becoming a serial killer was obsessed with horror films and wanted to be Freddy Krueger, a jury was told yesterday.

Daniel Gonzalez, 25, told police that he wanted to spend a day in the life of the violent star of the A Nightmare On Elm Street films. In the movies the character wears a glove fitted with knives and terrorises people in their dreams.

When the unemployed loner’s home in Woking, Surrey, was searched a magazine called Freddy Krueger’s Nightmares was found, the Old Bailey was told. Gonzalez later told police that voices were telling him to be the horror movie character.

Richard Horwell, for the prosecution, said that Gonzalez, who stabbed three pensioners and a pub landlord to death and seriously wounded two other strangers, had written a rambling note to himself after beginning his three-day killing spree in September 2004.

In the note, found in a left luggage locker at King’s Cross station, he mocks his first two victims and promises to become a famous serial killer, slaughtering as many as ten people. Gonzalez slashed Peter King, 61, in Portsmouth before travelling to Worthing, West Sussex, where he stabbed Marie Harding, 73, as she walked home.

Gonzalez boasted in his letter that, next to taking drugs, killing was the best thing he had done. He wrote that Mr King only lived because the knife he wielded was too small.

Gonzalez then went to London and stabbed to death Kevin Molloy, a 46-year-old publican who was returning from a night out in Tottenham.

Later he broke into the terraced home of Koumis Constantinou, 59, in Hornsey, North London, where he stabbed Mr Constantinou, who had come downstairs after hearing breaking glass, in the arms and chest.

Mr Horwell said that the pair became locked in “arm-to-arm combat”, adding: “Fighting for his life, Mr Constantinou took hold of the hand which held the knife and attempted to twist it. The defendant tried to bite Mr Constantinou’s hand and Mr Constantinou bit the defendant’s neck.”

Mr Constantinou’s wife ran outside and screamed for help as Gonzalez fled. He took a taxi to a hardware store and bought a long-bladed knife before going to the home of Derek and Jean Robinson in Highgate, North London, where he stabbed them both to death.

Mr Horwell said that within minutes, a decorator arrived and discovered the bodies in a pool of blood. Gonzalez, who was naked and preparing to take a shower, told the man: “Sorry about this, mate.”

As the decorator ran off to raise the alarm, Gonzalez left the house after ransacking drawers for cash. Gonzalez later told police: “As soon as I got in there, I had a breather and I thought, ‘OK, got it into my head. Ready, steady, go’, and then I did it.”

He went to University College Hospital in Central London where he had stitches to deep cuts to his hands and treatment to a cut lip after giving a false name. He said that he had received the injuries from broken glass. He was followed before being arrested at Tottenham Court Road Tube station.

Gonzalez, who attends court from Broadmoor, the maximum security hospital, admits attempting to murder Mr King and Mr Constantinou but denies murdering Mrs Harding, Mr Molloy and Mr and Mrs Robinson between September 15 and 17, 2004. He admits manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility.

“There is agreement that the defendant was suffering from an abnormality of mind but the extent of that abnormality is in dispute,” Mr Horwell said.

The trial continues.

Excerpts from a letter written by Gonzalez and found by police among left luggage at King’s Cross Station, London:

“I will be a serial killer I mean it I promise. I will be a serial killer. I am gonna make sure I get to London and kill some old bill as soon as I can. Sorry Katrina. I will kill as many old bill as I can as best I can”

He adds: “So when the death toll reaches 10 which is at one”

Referring to attack on Peter King: “My first time I did my best for my first time, but the knife was too small”

Referring to Marie Harding: “Proper, bloodbath . . . It felt really really really good. One of the best things I’ve done in my life, from Zippy (his nickname). Only better is life life pills, K (Ketamine), puff (cannabis) tecno hardcore etc etc etc”

thetimesonline.co.uk