Royal Navy ship damage probe.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Navy ship damage probe

By SUN ONLINE REPORTER

The Sandown-class HMS Grimsby.

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a Royal Navy mine-hunting ship was damaged on a training exercise in Norway, the Ministry of Defence said today.

The Clyde-based vessel HMS Grimsby will have to undergo repairs after striking the side of a fjord north of Bergen.

None of the 35 to 40 strong crew was injured in the incident on Monday night but there was flooding on board after a fresh water tank burst.

The hull was also damaged, and the ship is now being assessed at the coastal town of Maloy.

The cause of the collision is under investigation but the accident happened during a 90 degree turn.

A spokesman said of the ship: “She will be at Maloy for some time until she’s been checked out and then will come back here for repairs.

“She didn’t take in any seawater though a fresh water tank was ruptured. We are talking about five inches of water,” he added.

The swift response of the crew was described as “exceptional” by the Commanding Officer, Lt Cdr Nigel May.

HMS Grimsby, launched in 1998, was third in the line of four ships navigating inshore waters 90 miles off the south-west coast of the country when she struck the fjordside.

The ship was taking part in training along with Royal Marines units.

thesun.co.uk

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
grimsby- an interesting name
didnt eltons john have a song called grimsby

and you are not mentioning the 3 tons of rotting squid they had hidden below -------is this a cover up too

or are you on some kind of fishing expedition of your own- i mean with respect to the name of the boat

and by the way one of our crappy subs could EASILY take that fine example of HMs royal navy

but i think we should let the norwegians play with her a lttle first

Her majesty --i mean

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
and by the way one of our crappy subs could EASILY take that fine example of HMs royal navy

It's a mine hunter,in line with our Kingston Class MCDVs, not a destroyer :roll:

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: Royal Navy ship damage probe.

Mogz said:

It's a mine hunter,in line with our Kingston Class MCDVs, not a destroyer :roll:

So?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Royal Navy ship damag

Your sarcasm was evident in your post. I was educating you so perhaps in the future you won't make crass comments. It's a longshot, but I like a challenge.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Yep. The Royal Navy will be no match for the mighty Canadian Navy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Yep. The Royal Navy will be no match for the mighty Canadian Navy.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
are you insulting the canadian navy

we may not have the largest navy but i suspect we have one of the best --- as evidenced by the great job they do despite the lousy hardware they have to work with

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
HMS Ocean sailed from Devonport Naval Base on 6 February 2006 to take part in a winter-training exercise in Norway.

The exercise will take place in Northern Norway and will include multi-national forces operating at sea and on land. In addition to many ships, the land exercise will involve nearly 15,000 troops. HMS Ocean will embark several sea king helicopters in the week commencing 13 February 2006 in the channel before a short visit to Portsmouth Naval Base. She will then deploy to Norway and rendezvous with her Royal Marines from 45 Commando.

HMS Ocean's landing craft have already deployed and are currently undertaking beach reconnaissance and navigation training. They will rejoin HMS Ocean soon after her arrival. HMS Ocean's Commanding Officer, Captain Chris Snow, said:

"The deployment will provide an excellent opportunity for our embarked military force to train in an inhospitable and demanding environment. This will ensure the RN Service remains flexible, ready and able to deploy at short notice to regions of extreme climate be that the freezing mountains to the hot, arid desert regions.

"In addition the ship's company will be able to enjoy the stunning Norwegian scenery and enjoy some well earned time ashore."

This will be HMS Ocean's first deployment from the UK since Captain Snow assumed command in December 2005. The ship is due to return to the UK in April 2006.

navy-matters.com

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

cortez said:

we may not have the largest navy but i suspect we have one of the best --- as evidenced by the great job they do despite the lousy hardware they have to work with
The Royal Navy is THE best, and the world's no2.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Where are you getting your information from blackleaf. I make the British military behind Russia, and China, as well as France and the U.S.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006

Blackleaf said:
cortez said:

are we really arguing about navies here
or do i detect a general ----superiority complex ----- on your part

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I also reckon Royal Navy ship's have some pretty cool crests. Here are some -

HMS Alamein

HMS Bacchante

HMS Blazer

HMS Blyth

HMS Caprice

HMS Carron

HMS Carysfort

HMS Cassandra

HMS Centurion

HMS Cossack

HMS Dasher

HMS Nelson

HMS Tracker

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
yeah so what

what is this obsession with the navy

the uk -- is from what i can see---one of those nations in decline-- slow but steady--internally as well-- thats what many uk citizens have told me they feel- trying fixate on its supposed former gory ---not a typo-- is futile---this decline is a post-colonial decline that has a life of its own--- it has occurred to every empire---

currently
what we have is a stalemate--- look at iraq and afganistan the combined forces of the us and uk cant conquer or even control these insignificant places

and if you think that preventing argentina from talking the falklands is SIGNIFICANT -----well as ive said the iraqis and afgans are doing that to uk-us so that must be significant as well

ive also understood as #juan was saying that chinas navy
has overtaken the uks in capability but more importantly is GROWING at such a pace that it may overtake the USs in 10-20 years

china is the power in ascension
the uk the us the eu have reached their maximum potential and will remain there

china including it navy are not even CLOSE to their maximum potential

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
yes i do
they are fun

but there are variations as well like

theres is bigger that yours
or yours might be bigger but mine better
or yours might be bigger but my is still growing

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I think this is the coolest ship in the US Navy;

The USS Constitution, known as "Old Ironsides," is a wooden-hulled, three-masted frigate of the United States Navy. Named after the United States Constitution, she is the oldest commissioned ship in the world still afloat. (HMS Victory is three decades older, but is permanently drydocked.)

Constitution was one of six frigates authorized for construction by the Naval Act of 1794. Joshua Humphreys designed them to be the Navy's capital ships and so Constitution and her sisters were larger and more heavily armed than the standard run of frigates from the period. For a time, Constitution was assigned the hull classification symbol IX-21 (the "IX" hull code stands for "Unclassified Miscellaneous"), but was reclassified to "none" on 1 September 1975.

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
a very classy looking ship

so.. i suppose what you are saying is that YOURs is made of wood

or is woody------- HAHAjavascript:emoticon(':lol:')