Iraqis, was the war worth it?

Toro

Senate Member
Apparently, the answer is "yes".

I have no opinion about the war, other than I sure hope the Americans pull it off.

This is encouraging.

2/23/2006
Sure to make it into Åsa’s next column on the “freedom fighters”
Filed under:

* General

- Michael Moynihan (Stockholm, Sweden)@ 5:47 pm

Via the website of Prof. R.J. Rummel, some interesting figures from the Brookings Institution’s “Iraq Index” which tracks the progress of post-war reconstruction and the opinions of ordinary Iraqis. According to the latest figures (February 13, 2006) Iraqis, despite countless dispiriting setbacks, are maintain a largely positive outlook for the future of their country and, more suprising, retrospectively supportive of the invasion:

Do you think Iraq today is headed in the right direction? Overall = 64%, Kurds = 76%, Shiia = 84%, and Sunni = 6%

Thinking about any hardships you might have suffered since the U.S.-Britain invasion, do you personally think that ousting Saddam Hussein was worth it? Overall = 77%, Kurds = 91%, Shiia = 98%, and Sunni = 13%

Yup, you read it right: a full eighty percent think the war was worth it. And yes, as you might have noticed, we have something of a Sunni problem. But encouraging signs, nevertheless.
- Michael Moynihan

http://www.spectator.se/stambord/?p=1113

There are other interesting responses in the polls as well starting on page 37.

The report is dated February 23, 2006. If you click on the above link, and you don't get that report, look in the archives here.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Iraqis, was the war w

Iraqis, was the war worth it? Your question is meaningless, since this war has no end in sight. Iraqis, is the war worth it?
Many Iraqis disagree with you Toro, certainly most of the dead would, including the snuffed Americans.Results of a poll broadcast on BBC TV last night sharply contrast your posted articles statements. The illeagle (sick bird) invasion of Iraq is popularly seen as a dismal failure of monumental scope, it is the Waterloo of the twentyfirst century, the US can not escape this time, it can not abandon the oil, it can not allow control of the region to
pass to the inhabitants of the region, it can not allow democracy and freedom in the middle east. :lol:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Since the war has no end in sight ?

No war ever has the end in sight. Not the American
Civil War. Not WWI or WWII, not Vietnam, not the
Seven Years War, not the Peloponesian War.

You'd rather Saddam keep this powder keg
together so you wouldn't feel so bad for the Iraqi
Kurds and Shia and even the Sunni ?

Perhaps Saddam should have held together
what Tito held together in Yugoslavia, so as to let
you go on with your life.

And you think those Iraqis are going to let Americans
own the oil ?

Waterloo ?

Don't think so.

And had Saddam stayed around another 10 years
I wonder what else you might have seen?

I wonder maybe you'd see a lot worse.

But we'll never know.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Iraqis, was the war w

Jimmoyer you are such a downer, according to you there is no end to poverty, now you declare no end to war, when did you give up. If there is no end to these evils then there is an end to us. I wonder how you felt about Saddam when he was Americas darling good buddy.