What are Canadians' Opinions of America?

Lady Pyro

Feb 21, 2006
I am writing an english paper for college, and I need some assistance with the research. I will post the actual assignment below, but here is what I would appreciate recieving from those of you who are here on the forum:

What is Canada's real opinion of America?

I don't just mean its tourist traps or its politics. But like, the whole Sha-bang. And I really don't want canned media-induced responses. I mean, I know CNN is opinionated out the wazoo, and thus influences those who watch it. But what is YOUR real opinion? What do you think of the States and everything about it?

Please post your real, honest-to-goodness, nitty-gritty feelings...I'm really going to use these as cited opinions in my report. Thank you so much in advance! :D

(My actual assignment: )

Write an essay (600-1000 words) Analyzing and Responding to another country's perceptions of America. Cite at least three sources. This essay is worth 20% of your final course grade. Remember when Analyzing, don't just report the facts. Do a little reporting but also figure out why they may think this. Responding should be considered in this format: "The people of this country think this because of that and I think that...etc.

You are encouraged to Google the country itself and learn about its facts, crops, population percentages, etc. But keep in mind information taken in this fashion will be very generic and not in-depth. Students are highly encouraged to go farther. Angles to take: find a personal attachment, pretend for a few days that you are traveling there as a tourist during your research, CIA fact pages on the internet for basic information, chatrooms and forums for real opinions, etc.

Rough Draft due Wednesday 02/22
Final Draft due Wednesday 03/01

Your Selected Country: Canada

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
America is a Corporate Goon Squad that has taken many Canadians along with them. Sell outs we call them.
The Military Industrial Complex is alive and well, with the USA being the prime minion for the world's Elite Wealthy Cabal.

If they can be defeated and government takes back control from the corporate lobby, then the world can be free again.

Oh, there is so much more, but it is too difficult to do right now, good luck with your assignment.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Myself I have no real problems with the United States as a whole. The nation is a lot like Canada and as such shares the values I place in both democracy and freedom. By and large I get along well with all Americans I meet, both militarily as well as on a civilian level. One thing I will say however is that the United States tends to try and bully Canada in regards to economic and political issues. I feel that the U.S. often sees Canada as a little brother to pick on and as a result of this nearsightedness many issues such as softwood lumber and the beef ban have been drawn out to excess. The U.S. often fails to compromise due to its arogant nature in the political arena. Speaking of politics, often the U.S. Ambassador to Canada passes judgement on our society and makes demands of our Government that the U.S. really has no place speaking on. This is indeed an area of tension between America and Canada; the U.S.' constant attempt to be involved in everything we do that even remotely affects them. Lastly for a negative i'd have to say a large number of Americans are ignorant to the World outside of their borders. I'm not saying ALL Americans, as the ones to the North tend to be more in tune with reality, however many i've met over the years tends to live in this bubble that the U.S. is the centre of the universe. Couple that with international stereotype that all Americans know nothing about the World and you've got the typical view of the United States. Now I know placing this label on all Americans is unfair, however as I said above, many i've met really are ignorant to the World. Some noteable things said in my presence:

-Canada does nothing for the U.S. (trying over a billion dollars in trade a DAY)
-Canada has an Army?
-I don't understand Canadian money (it's the exact same system as the U.S.)
-I like that flag, does it come in blue? (I was seriously asked this when I was in high school by a woman from Utah)
-What's it like having winter all year round?
-You have a Prime Minister? I thought the Queen ran Canada.
-A Canadian invented the snowmobile? I thought it was an American (not unless is name was Bombardier, good strong American name that...)

Now i'm not saying all Americans think like this, and i'm sure many yanks on these boards are shaking their heads whilst laughing. However as i've stated many in your nation embody this isolationist view that prevents them from gleaning knowledge of the World they're a part of.

To sum up, what do I think of the United States? I like the nation, it has its quirks (like any nation) but in my opinion it's a good nation that has a lot going for it. I'd just like to put a plug in here and say San Fransico is one of the coolest cities i've ever visited.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: What are Canadians' O

Your not a democracy and your not free, and your sucking the guts out of the rest of the planet. Twenty percent on the final course grade for 600 to 1000 words, thats to easy to be real,you should quit school and get an education.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Your not a democracy and your not free, and your sucking the guts out of the rest of the planet. Twenty percent on the final course grade for 600 to 1000 words, thats to easy to be real,you should quit school and get an education.

Wow beaver, way to be an ambassador for our Country. Perhaps manners weren't something taught in your household? That said you tell lady to quit school and get an education...this coming from the person who constantly throughout your last post used the word your in place of you're. A brief educational lesson by Mogz:

Your means: your car, your cat, your job

You're means: you're a moron, you're a douche bag, you're not worth the air you breathe.

So in reality your sentance should have read:

YOU'RE not a democracy and YOU'RE not free, and YOU'RE sucking the guts out of the rest of the planet.

So in closing, beaver, you're an ass-clown. Wait is ass-clown hyphenated? Regardless you're one :)

Lady Pyro

Feb 21, 2006
Re: RE: What are Canadians' Opinions of America?

Mogz said:
So in closing, beaver, you're an ass-clown. Wait is ass-clown hyphenated? Regardless you're one :)

Ha ha ha, well I wasn't worried about it enough to say anything, but thank you Mogz. XD

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's a dark day for ass-clowns now that darkbeaver has joined their ranks.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I like the US. I moved down here and enjoy it. I think it's like any other country, some things are great, some aren't. I am definitely different from conservative Americans when it comes to religion and politics, but I just keep those opinions to myself.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In contrast to our resident rodent, I actually admire the United States and Americans. So I hope my criticisms will be accepted in the spirit that they are offered:

Now, folks down there as a culture do have some problems.

Canadians, as a whole, are very uncomfortable with jingoistic nationalism, and the Americans appear to engage in it without hesitation. Turns us off at times.

We are astounded at times by the gap between rich and poor in America. To an extent, we are hypocritical in this, as we have real problems in this country as well, especially with our native population.

Americans are much more apt to put people on a pedestal for the masses to admire and worship. You do this with your Presidents (especially JFK, who, as far as I can see, actually achieved very little). You also do it with historical figures. In Canada, we are more apt to look for every little flaw in our heroes.

A certain class of Canadians (far too numerous) see the USA as the anti-Christ. In Canada, it can be a popular thing to point out American militarism, American health care (or lack thereof) and the American right to bear arms as evidence of the failure of the USA to emerge from the Neolithic Age, unlike we much more civilized Canadians.

Personally, I think this is evidence of a serious inferiority complex amongst Canadians.

It is difficult to find a Canadian that doesn't absolutely loathe G. W. Bush.

Just as a point of interest, I am descended from Loyalist who fled the USA after the Revolution.....on both sides of my family.

Good luck with your project.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I spent the first half of my life being a Canadian - going to school - being part of a large family - having good friendships (many of which I still carry), and enjoying life especially living in B.C. where there is a full plate of activities for anyone who loves the outdoors as I do.

I moved to the U.S. to attend school and help out a sister who was going through some rough times living so far away from family.
I ended up finding work as well as going to school, and then when I graduated I decided to become a permanent resident alien.

Politically speaking, I knew or cared little about Canadian politices when I lived there, so I can't compare with what I know about U.S. politics. I have had to learn U.S. politics more because I am in the process of becoming a citizen now.

I am much more interested in the opportunities and a sense of
"go for it" Americans have, rather than their politics. I like that they expect to do things on their own for themselves, have dreams and make them come true for themselves. In other words I think Americans are taught to be arrogant which is how people describe them - but for them it works - I call it confidence. They think they can conquer mountains and consequently go out and get it done. They run to meet challenge rather than avoid it.

It wouldn't suit everyone - but for me, I learned self-motivation down here, that I could accomplish things I set out to do rather than wallow in doubt and never start new goals... and I put myself through a lengthy education which I could never have done in Canada. And being American isn't ALL politics - not by a long shot.
There is way too much going on to get immersed in one aspect of
living in the U.S.

My opinion? I love the country as I love Canada. I have had the best of both.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Personally, I like alot of Americans I have to work with them since I am in the military. I like everyone, however, it is just the kind of government you put in front of the world and that arrogance like we are better than you, colonial arrogance, mind you. That is what I don't like.

However,other than that, you Americans are cool.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Re: RE: What are Canadians' Opinions of America?

Mogz said:

Wow beaver, way to be an ambassador for our Country. Perhaps manners weren't something taught in your household? That said you tell lady to quit school and get an education...this coming from the person who constantly throughout your last post used the word your in place of you're. A brief educational lesson by Mogz:

Your means: your car, your cat, your job

You're means: you're a moron, you're a douche bag, you're not worth the air you breathe.

So in reality your sentance should have read:

YOU'RE not a democracy and YOU'RE not free, and YOU'RE sucking the guts out of the rest of the planet.

Thank you for the english lesson Mogz. Shouldn,t you have said(you told the lady ) not (you tell the lady). :lol:

And thats Mr Darkbeaver to you grunt. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RE: What are Canadians' O

Mogz said:

"To sumize, yes povery exists. Is it anyones fault? Yup, the people who fail to drag themselves out of the gutter. Do I have sympathy? Yes I do. Will I accept responsibility? No."

Your english is worse than mine Mogz, and by the way many of the poor you shit on are ex military, guys with missing limbs that got the shaft from Uncle Sam, some of them thought at one time like you do now. Hard to drag yourself out of the gutter when you don,t have arms or your blind Mogz.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
In reality, I'm pretty much indifferent to the US.

The culture of the US is (in my opinion) very different than Canada despite the obvious similarity in day-to-day life. Policies and politics change with every administration so I cannot factor it into my final opinion. In general, I find the US more aggressive and somewhat more militaristic than Canada, which is sometime good and sometimes bad. There are things that I admire about the US and there are things that make me thankful my Dad chose Toronto over New York.

I've visited 25 of the 50 states and plan on seeing the rest; I have nothing against America, yet I am not pro-America. When America is wrong, I will say so, when it is right I will say so. I cannot judge you on your laws because they are your laws, not mine. I cannot judge you on your president, cause he is your elected representative, not mine.

It is really hard to answer your question cause the country is not static, it changes all the time.

The only nation I have a good impression, a great impression of is my own, Canada. It is the only nation I truly know.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
*Sigh*

Thank you for the english lesson Mogz. Shouldn,t you have said(you told the lady ) not (you tell the lady).

And thats Mr Darkbeaver to you grunt.

Here's what I wrote:

That said you tell lady

The word "the" does not appear in that sentance, as I was refering to Lady Pro, hence you tell lady. I have a kung-fu grip on the English language. So sit down.

With regard to me being a grunt, i'm not an infanteer, therefore not a grunt. Any other desperate attempts to be witty beaver? If so, post them in the next 4 minutes as I have to go to the gym.

P.S.

I just saw this

Your english is worse than mine Mogz, and by the way many of the poor you shit on are ex military, guys with missing limbs that got the shaft from Uncle Sam, some of them thought at one time like you do now. Hard to drag yourself out of the gutter when you don,t have arms or your blind Mogz.

My English is fine beaver, but thanks for attempting to lower me to your abismal level. Keep in mind there is a difference between punctuation and grammar. As for "shitting" on people, it's been a while since I took a dump on anyone. If you wish to discuss the effect of U.S. capitalism on U.S. poverty rates, do so with me in another thread and let Lady Pro gather her info. It's the polite thing to do.

P.P.S.

I love you beaver.

P.P.P.S

Yeah I butchered the spelling of surmise. Don't ask me where that came from, call it one of those "errors whilst typing quickly". call it that? Please? :idea: