Kofi Annan Nagging for More US Military

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
www.newsone.ca

Someone should tell SG Annan the U.S. military to ask another country - he thinks the U.S. are to serve all his little fires he can't put out. Get real you little berk! Better still bring home the military from the DMZ - 50+ years is enough time!

Annan pushes Bush on US troops for UN Darfur force
Staff and agencies
09 February, 2006

By Irwin Arieff 21 minutes ago

UNITED NATIONS - The United States should contribute troops and equipment to a planned new U.N. force designed to stop the killings and rape in Sudan‘s Darfur region, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said on Thursday.

Annan said he would press President George W. Bush President George W. Bush on the issue when the two meet on Monday in Washington, along with expected discussions on Iran , Iraq and the controversy over cartoons lampooning the Prophet Mohammad.

Underfinanced African Union troops are now the only bulwark in Sudan against marauding militia and rebels, with some 7,000 monitors and soldiers on the ground. The U.N. Security Council U.N. Security Council this week authorized Annan to draw up contingency plans for U.N. peacekeepers to go into Darfur.

"It is not going to be easy for the big and powerful countries with armies to delegate (the job) to third world countries. They will have to play a part if we are going to stop the carnage that we see in Darfur," Annan told reporters.

"They will have to commit troops and equipment, or if they don‘t want to do it, help us find the troops and equipment to be able to undertake the mandate they give us," he said.

Asked if Bush would be asked to participate, Annan said, "I will share with him the facts that I have shared with you, the needs that we have, and the countries that I think can supply those needs, and that will include the U.S."

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormick was noncommittal and said the issue was still under discussion.

"We are working very closely with the United Nations ," he said. "We support a transition from a purely A.U. to a U.N. mission. It‘s not intended to supplant the great efforts of the A.U. mission. It‘s designed to augment what the A.U. has been able to do."

The United States has declared the Darfur conflict genocide and provided logistic support for the AU mission.

A U.N. force in Darfur would have to be very different from the current AU mission, said Annan, who will also have talks on Monday with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice .

Such a force would need to show the militias and others plundering villages and attacking refugee camps and humanitarian workers "that we have a force that is capable to respond, a force that is everywhere, and a force that will be there on time to prevent them from intimidating and killing the innocent civilians," he said.

The force would have to be highly mobile on the ground and also have air assets, so it could respond quickly and stop attacks rather than arrive "after the harm has been done," he said.

Civil war has raged in Darfur since February 2003, pitting Sudanese rebels against government forces and allied Arab militias. Tens of thousands have been killed and 2 million driven from their homes, forced to flee to miserable and vulnerable refugee camps in Sudan and Chad.

Russia‘s U.N. Ambassador Andrei Denisov said Moscow supported the transformation of the African Union operation to a U.N. peacekeeping force. [Edit: Fine let Russia handle it! ]

He told a news conference he favored a wider arms embargo on nongovernmental forces throughout the Sudan but denied Russia had "red lines" on how far it would push the Khartoum government.

(Added information from Evelyn Leopold at the United Nations)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
You touched a nerve with me on the DMZ WC, for all the peacekeeping going on all over the world, you would think after 50 years of spending money we can finally get our troops back home, and gee wiz there is no oil there! :roll:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
ITN

Every time I read the excited media writing about the Annual Dues owed by the USA to the UN I think of the funds expended without compensation for that long lonely line... The UN never comments on the service given by the US.

It is my most major whine regarding the UN as it is today, I have many.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
What service does the U.S do.

All they do is pay for 27% of the budget. They don't give equipment, the don't give forces. SO why shouldn't they pay the budget.

And it is the U.S idea to send the U.N into Darfur they should go in as well.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Its to bad because we have all these stir-crazy anti-cartoonists burning cheese, flags and embassies while carrying AK-47s.... too bad we couldn't send them in there.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
What service does the U.S do.

All they do is pay for 27% of the budget. They don't give equipment, the don't give forces. SO why shouldn't they pay the budget.

Just because you don't know what the US does, doesn't mean we don't do anything whether its within or outside the UN. Do some research before making claims like this.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
"They will have to commit troops and equipment, or if they don‘t want to do it, help us find the troops and equipment to be able to undertake the mandate they give us," he said.

Asked if Bush would be asked to participate, Annan said, "I will share with him the facts that I have shared with you, the needs that we have, and the countries that I think can supply those needs, and that will include the U.S."

I don't see anything wrong with this. Each country should do what it can to support causes it believes in, whether that's with money or troops or equipment. I don't understand why we are willing to ignore their suffering because we have troops elsewhere. The world is composed of more than just Iraq and Afghanistan and Korea unfortunately.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
----------------------------Jersay------------------------

Liberals and leftwingers can't have their cake and eat it
too.

They complain the US is doing nothing about Dafur, but what are their countries doing about it ?

They complain the US doing nothing about Dafur is
proof what a big bad wolf the US is, and yet what are
their noble righteous countries doing about it?

Europe did nothing about the slaughter in Yugoslavia
in their own backyard, something they promised
would never happen again in their continent after
WWII .

For 8 years this went on until Bosnia and Kosovo, long
after Croatia and Slovenia split off.

Now they bellyache that they are bearing the lionshare
of troops guarding the peace ???

You know Americans are taking a 400 level graduate
course in hypocrisy. We are becoming quite well educated
about our own hypocrisy.

Are you yours?

I'm starting to think the rest of the world is still
taking freshman courses for their hypocrisy baccalaureate.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The numbers are in milions of dollars.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well gee wiz they have a spreadsheet all ready. I'm not trying to toot my horn but the US has done plenty over the years where no one else has, so give a little bit of credit :roll:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Watch them complain about nothing being done
in Dafur.

The Canadians sent only 200 troops and then that
got all screwed up.

Take the bull by the horns.

Classic case of the idea rat, who says, Who me?
I only come up with the ideas. I don't do them.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Kofi Annan Nagging fo

so Kofi spilled his Coffee this morning when he saw the spreadsheet eh?

Too bad the bastard's brethren aren't so bent, milking the UN for all it's worth, otherwise they'd be able to finance the thing them-bloody-selves. (i am talking about the organization as a whole, yes. Including the delegates)

Now, if we hadn't sent troops into Iraq, I'm sure we'd have some spare to send to Africa.... but I forgot... we don't actually have any troops leftover to keep our own bloody country safe. Not good.

UN forces are supposed to be United. So commitment to the UN should be percentile based, with respect to a country's population, yes. but that comes with a caveat. Regardless of the wars you make on your own, UN charter should be mandatory, by this I mean regardless of your political position, you made a commitment to the UN, you stick to it. which means a 'percentile' of troops. and if we're too busy messing around in other's back yards?? pull some out and send them to the UN's target cause. and I'm not talking about the US alone here. plenty of countries only do what suits them politically, when it comes to the UN.

Some people don't get the 'peace' idea, do they?

I guess it's easier to send money, than politically lynch yourself...

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Wednesday's Child said:
www.newsone.ca

Someone should tell SG Annan the U.S. military to ask another country - he thinks the U.S. are to serve all his little fires he can't put out. Get real you little berk! Better still bring home the military from the DMZ - 50+ years is enough time!

Why ask united states?? USA are too busy with their illegal war in iraq.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I think the UN needs not more authority but simply
an understanding of its RIGHTFUL PURPOSE ------------
an arena where
a critical mass develops into consensus.

And it is ridiculous to demand consensus daily, but
wise to see that a critical mass develops organically
as an issue evolves, and those are the times and the
only times the UN commands authority both ways:
bottom up and top down.

As it should be.

Fairness and wisdom does not require this authoritarian
push to demand one size fits all.

This world is very diverse, full of nations and people
with different capabilities, and different limitations.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
aeon said:
Wednesday's Child said:
www.newsone.ca

Why ask united states?? USA are too busy with their illegal war in iraq.

You're right, you go! Call us if you need a lift.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Kofi Annan Nagging for More US Military

jimmoyer said:
I think the UN needs not more authority but simply
an understanding of its RIGHTFUL PURPOSE ------------
an arena where
a critical mass develops into consensus.

And it is ridiculous to demand consensus daily, but
wise to see that a critical mass develops organically
as an issue evolves, and those are the times and the
only times the UN commands authority both ways:
bottom up and top down.

As it should be.

Fairness and wisdom does not require this authoritarian
push to demand one size fits all.

This world is very diverse, full of nations and people
with different capabilities, and different limitations.

I thought the UN's purpose was to pass one-sided condemnations against Israel?? You mean they do other stuff too? :?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well, despite my support for Israel's continued
existence, I have learned a lot about the hell of 1948
and the karma it earned for Israel, and so the UN
with a lot of nations hating Zionists and Americans
continue to condemn.

Overall the idea of the UN being an arena where
a critical mass can assemble for consensus is
the authority coming from two ways: bottom up
and top down.

And this is the best authority the UN can ever have.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Kofi Annan Nagging for More US Military

jimmoyer said:
Watch them complain about nothing being done
in Dafur.

The Canadians sent only 200 troops and then that
got all screwed up.

Take the bull by the horns.

Classic case of the idea rat, who says, Who me?
I only come up with the ideas. I don't do them.

I completely agree that this is a valid criticism... but when it comes to the issue at hand, I think it's just a distraction.

In the end, who cares what the other guy is doing? We have the ability to be leaders in the field of human rights and prevent genocide. Leaders don't spend their time trying to do as little as the next guy. I'm sad that other countries aren't doing enough either, but that doesn't stop me from wanting my country (Canada) to step up and I hope it doesn't stop Americans from wanting the same thing.