US lists 10 foiled terror plots

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The White House has given details of 10 major terror plots that President Bush says have been foiled by the US and its allies since the 11 September attacks.

Mr Bush cited the disrupted plans in a speech, designed to boost support for the so-called war on terror.

They include a plot to use hijacked aircraft to hit the US East and West coasts and to attack Heathrow Airport.

But the sketchy details provided by the White House make it hard to assess how serious or advanced the plans were.

Most of the plots have been previously reported in some form, but a few were revealed for the first time.

Mr Bush also mentioned five instances where targets within the US had been "cased" - including the cases of Iyman Faris who was accused of exploring the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York.

White House list of disrupted plots:

West Coast airliner
In mid-2002 the US disrupted a plot to attack targets on the West Coast of the United States using hijacked aeroplanes. The plotters included at least one major operational planner involved in planning the events of 11 September 2001.

East Coast airliner
In mid-2003 the US and a partner disrupted a plot to attack targets on the East Coast of the United States using hijacked commercial aeroplanes.

Jose Padilla
In May 2002, the US disrupted a plot that involved blowing up apartment buildings in the United States. One of the plotters, Jose Padilla, also discussed the possibility of using a dirty bomb in the US.

2004 UK urban targets
In 2004, the US and partners disrupted a plot that involved urban targets in the United Kingdom. These plots involved using explosives against a variety of sites.

2003 Karachi
In the spring of 2003, the US and a partner disrupted a plot to attack Westerners at several targets in Karachi, Pakistan.

London Heathrow Airport
In 2003, the US and several partners disrupted a plot to attack Heathrow Airport using hijacked commercial airliners. The planning for this attack was undertaken by a major 11 September operational figure.

2004 UK
In 2004, the US and partners, using a combination of law enforcement and intelligence resources, disrupted a plot to conduct bombings in the UK.

2002 Gulf shipping
In late 2002 and 2003, the US and a partner nation disrupted a plot by al-Qaeda operatives to attack ships in the Gulf.

2002 Straits of Hormuz
In 2002, the US and partners disrupted a plot to attack ships transiting the Straits of Hormuz.

2003 tourist site
In 2003 the US and a partner nation disrupted a plot to attack a tourist site outside the United States.

White House list of casings and infiltrations:

US government and tourist sites tasking
In 2003 and 2004, an individual was tasked by al-Qaeda to case important US government and tourist targets within the United States.

Gas station tasking
Around 2003, an individual was tasked to collect targeting information on US gas stations and their support mechanisms on behalf of a senior al-Qaeda planner.

Iyman Faris and the Brooklyn Bridge
In 2003, and in conjunction with a partner nation, the US government arrested and prosecuted Iyman Faris, who was exploring the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. Faris ultimately pleaded guilty to providing material support to al-Qaeda and is now in a federal correctional institution.

2001 tasking
In 2001, al-Qaeda sent an individual to facilitate post-11 September attacks in the US Law enforcement authorities arrested the individual.

2003 tasking
In 2003, an individual was tasked by an al-Qaeda leader to conduct reconnaissance on populated areas in the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4319714.stm

:roll: Or so he says anyway.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, so he says.

I think GW is just trying to boost his approval ratings again.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
RE: US lists 10 foiled te

Jim,

It is a matter of timing. "Saving the surprises" for when they were needed strategically. Does it matter if were thwarted plans or not, or merely that said cards can be played to boost support?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Everything is a matter of timing.

It's a natural thing.

You do it in your everyday life knowing when someone
is ready to hear something or timing it for the right
moment to tell your boss when you did something good,
or a politician knowing how skeptical the people are
that maybe they might even buy the truth once in awhile.

Caracal kid, your response is no better than the
conservatives who always believe in their Republican
or Conservative Party leaders.

It's no different.

And you know that even if it were true, half of the
people wouldn't buy it.

It is very hard to prove you thwarted disaster to anybody.
It is very hard to prove, without raising someone's
suspicion, when you blow your own horn.

You know this.

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
RE: US lists 10 foiled te

I would bet that some of the foiled plots are true, one the same token some of them are probably would be threats, and there is likely many other possibilities and explanations as well. The person that cannot read this and say good some plots where foiled, but at the same time realise that it is just a bid for popularity and take it accordingly has more problems then George W. Bush.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I quite agree with you Colin.

Even the reporting of truth in foiling some plots is also
a win win for the politician claiming credit and gaining support.

This is natural to not only our leaders but to you and me also.

Maybe some of you are saints.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Sorry guys, but I have stopped believing anything that comes out of that man's mouth after 9/11, I won't dispute what he says is true or false or timely, but unless I see proof, it's another Bushism to me.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well ITN I think Bush has quite earned the skepticism, and like the boy who cried wolf, the day he tells the truth, no one of course will believe him, and so the wolf will win.

I'm afraid the world will mistakenly let the wolf win.

But of course the world won't see anybody else other than Bush as the wolf and won't be able to predict the bad future coming at them, because they're too focused on Bush, missing what else is going on.

Virtual Burlesque

Nominee Member
Feb 19, 2005
Ontario
I would find all this far more believable if these claims about foiled plots had some terrorist tied to them who had been sentenced in an open court after receiving a fair and public trial.

With the exception of Jose Padilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Padilla)

and Feris Iyman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyman_Faris)

both of whom have questionable dossiers, no other plot involves any tangible proofs, just claims.

I may be cynical, but after learning how the Bush administration's knowledge about WMD diverged from what they said, before beginning their liberation of Iraq, you will pardon me if I require more proof.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
And I agree with what you say also jimmoyer, however Bush has caused to a certain extent for everyone to see him as a wolf. I particularly don't get distracted and see other wolves, but I see your point also.

Even if I give him the benefit of the doubt that what he said was true, there is no reason to make claims he can't backup, if plots were foiled, he could have mentioned names, like he did Jose Padilla, he didn't do that though. So it only raises at the very least skepticism on my end.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Who knows if naming names would have still won anybody over and what price would be paid for naming names?

It's a paradox for both the leaders and the people.

And I want to repeat that unless you are a saint, we are no better in our use of timing to say what we accomplished as we blow our own horns or seek to
balance a work situation, or be wise in knowing when
and when not to say something.

This timing is not nefarious, but natural.

To all of us.

Even to the people you despise.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: US lists 10 foiled terror plots

jimmoyer said:
Who knows if naming names would have still won anybody over and what price would be paid for naming names?

You're right there also, even if he had mentioned a few names most who see him as failed President wouldn't pickup on that and would certainly come up with something else.

No way to win I guess, but hey that's politics right? :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jimmoyer

Bush has been ragged on in Canada since he was first elected. More so since 9/11. His, "yer with us or yer with the terrorists" alienated a good part of the free world but most countries joined the "war on terror"regardless. His walking over the UN to invade Iraq signaled the end of what, innocence? Maybe. It was now "okay", for a major power to invade a sovereign country who didn't threaten the invading country because that major power could. Years of diplomacy went out the window and people wondered, "who's next". Bush has since threatened Syria, Iran, and Libya. The world doesn't see Bush as a man they can trust. Both my parents were American and I care about that country though I am Canadian to the core. I hate what Bush is doing to his country.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well I certainly understand your sentiment, #juan.

But it's not the only view, and so my posts presenting
some caveats still stand.

And still you are quite right to feel that way. I just
warn you don't miss what else is going on.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Of course I think its great and great publicity all around, but I would even go so far as to say the list is longer than that. I would also suspect there are probably a few they don't realize they foiled and could never give mention to.

Good job.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Straight up Jay.

That's possible, but we'll never know for sure, but logic
dictates the chances for what you say can be quite
likely.

It's very hard to prove you avoided a disaster, because
you might not know what you truly prevented.

And it's even more impossible for anyone on the sidelines
to know this too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

guardian.co.uk