Chávez tells Blair to go to hell.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Chávez tells Blair to go to hell

Simon Jeffery and agencies
Thursday February 9, 2006

The Venezuelan president, Hugo Chávez talks to his supporters during a rally in Caracas. Photograph: Nicolas Pineda/EPA

When Tony Blair left the Commons chamber after question time, he probably thought David Cameron's accusation that he was "flip-flopping" over school reform was the worst verbal jab he would face this week.

Hugo Chávez, the Venezuelan president, had other ideas. In a characteristically forthright tirade, he described the prime minister as "a pawn of imperialism" and told him to "go right to hell".

Mr Chávez was inveighing against comments on Venezuela's attitude to democracy made by Mr Blair in the chamber. The prime minister's observation that Venezuela should abide by the rules of the international community if it wanted to be respected by it showed that he believed "we're still in times of imperialism and colonialism", Mr Chávez said.

"Go right to hell, Mr Blair," he told the prime minister during a speech in western Venezuela, using local slang to deliver the line. His exact words, "váyase largo al cipote", have no direct translation into English.

Mr Chávez described Mr Blair as "the main ally of Hitler" - an accusation that he is siding with the US president in its confrontation with Venezuela. Mr Chávez has taken to calling George Bush "Mr Danger" and "Danger Bush Hitler" among other epithets, and added that he would now need similar nicknames for Mr Blair.

"You messed with me, so put up with me," he told the prime minister. Quoting the lyrics of a Venuezuelan folk song that he also recited when he called Mexico's president Vicente Fox a "lapdog" of the United States, he added: "I sting those who rattle me, Mr Blair".

Relations between the Venezuela and US, whose lead Mr Chávez accused Mr Blair of following, are at their lowest point for several years after the two governments expelled each other's diplomats in a spying row last week.

The barney started when Donald Rumsfeld, the US defence secretary, compared Mr Chávez to Adolf Hitler. Speaking at a mass rally on Saturday commemorating the failed 1992 coup that he led as a lieutenant colonel, Mr Chávez then remarked that the Nazi leader "would be like a suckling baby next to George W Bush".

Venezuela, which supplies 15% of the US's foreign oil, has previously attempted to rattle Washington by offering humanitarian aid to the survivors of Hurricane Katrina and cheap heating oil to residents of Massachusetts, and forging relations with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Iran and Fidel Castro's Cuba.

The spark for his attack on Mr Blair was a question from Labour MP Colin Burgon on whether British policy in South America was shaped by a "rightwing US Republican agenda". The prime minister replied that Venezuela needed to take care when it formed a close alliance with a non-democracy such as Cuba.

"If they want to be respected members of the international community, they should abide by the rules of the international community," he told MPs. "I say with the greatest respect to the president of Venezuela that when he forms an alliance with Cuba, I would prefer to see Cuba a proper functioning democracy."

Mr Chávez said the remarks showed Mr Blair was "nothing but a pawn of imperialism trying now to attack us from Europe". He added that Mr Blair lacked the moral standing to make them.

"You, Mr Blair, do not have the morality to call on anyone to respect the rules of the international community," he said. "You are precisely the one who has flouted international law the most [...] siding with Mr Danger to trample the people in Iraq.

"I'm going to be closely watching what you say and what you do. Because the British government has no moral standing - and even less yourself - to get involved in Venezuela's affairs."

A Downing Street spokeswoman said Mr Chávez was "entitled to his views".

The president came to prominence in a failed coup attempt in 1992 but won a democratic election in 1998 and was re-elected in 2000.

guardian.co.uk

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Chávez tells Blair to go to hell "

We are misinterpreting this....it is really an invitation to visit Venezuela....

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Is that their military uniform???

They must have made a good deal with for some leftover Curling duds.

No...that's just his daily wear I think....

Chavez is a fool. He's trying to stay in the spotlight, just like Kim Jong II of North Korea did with that whole nuclear weapons thing a few years back. That bubbled under when the World realized he wasn't even close to getting a working nuke. So with Chavez he's shaking his fist at the World and eventually he too will bubble under and have to get back to running that poor excuse for a Country. I do like this though:

Mr Chávez described Mr Blair as "the main ally of Hitler"

How the hell did he plot that course? Hitler died years before Blair was even born. Furthermore, Chavez is more like Hitler than anyone in the latter half of the 20th Century. Chavez acutally passed a law that makes it legal for people to be imprisoned for speaking out against him. Remember Hitler doing that in 1938?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
What I find most distressing is that Liberals defend this guy...right here in our own country.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I disagree with you Mogz, Chavez is sitting on billions of barrels of oil that North Korea doesn't have. He's already making alliances with Cuba and could possibly fund little revolutions all over Latin America if he get's ambitious enough. I agree he is sabre rattling to a degree, but he's one to watch.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
He can sit on the barrels all he wants. If he wants money he has to ship those. As for funding little revolutions, he can go nuts. Eventaully he'll wind up dead in his backyard pool who 2 bullet holes in the back of his noodle.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Ah the cult of personality, something we've seen
many times before.

The man takes up air time on all the broadcast channels
for hours just like Castro.

All the leftwingers would be horrified if even their
favorite politician in their own country did that.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez took another swipe at British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Thursday, saying Britain should give back the Falkland Islands to Argentina.

Venezuela also formally complained about comments by Blair saying the South American country should respect the rules of the international community, writing in a letter to the British ambassador in Caracas that the remarks violated the "fundamental principles of international law."

There was no immediate reaction from the British Embassy.

Chavez, a blunt-speaking leftist known for his anti-American rhetoric, had already told Blair to "go to hell" for his remarks, made during a parliamentary session in London on Wednesday.

His attack on the British premier shifted his aim following a new flare-up with Washington, sparked when Chavez last week expelled a U.S. Navy attache for alleged espionage and compared Bush to Adolf Hitler.

Chavez used Thursday's speech to prod U.S. President George W. Bush again, calling him a "nut case."

The fiery Venezuelan leader said U.S. ally Britain had violated the sovereignty of various nations. He cited the case of the tiny Falkland Islands off the coast of Argentina, which Britain and Argentina went to war over in 1982.

"We have to remember the Falklands, how they were taken away from the Argentines," Chavez said in the western Venezuelan city of Maracaibo. "Those islands are Argentina's. Return them, Mr. Blair, those islands are Argentina's."

Britain still controls the Falklands, which Argentine troops invaded in 1982, setting off a three-month war against colonial ruler Britain in which hundreds were killed on both sides and more than 1,000 wounded.

Oil sales intact
Blair said on Wednesday that countries like Venezuela and Cuba should realize they had much to gain from the principles of democracy.

Chavez responded by telling Blair to stay in his place and calling him the main ally of "Hitler Danger Bush Hitler" -- referring to his favorite nickname for Bush, Mr. Danger.

In a letter to British Ambassador Donald Lamond, Vice Foreign Minister Pavel Rondon said Venezuela categorically rejected Blair's comments and noted that international law meant respect for the legality of other countries.

"The serious distortion in his words in confusing 'the rules of the international community' with the norms and principles of International Law has not gone unnoticed by our government," the letter said.

"This type of confusion has facilitated, permitted and induced the worst atrocities against the world's peoples."

Chavez, a former army officer who took office seven years ago after failing to win power in a 1992 coup, lashed out at Bush anew on Thursday.

"Now there's a nut case up there in the presidency of the United States," Chavez said. "He's dangerous to the world because he's capable of dropping nuclear bombs.

"Now they're making plans to invade Iran and Venezuela as well. He's crazy, the North Americans themselves are going to have to tie him up because he is capable of destroying half the world and destroying his own country."

Rocky since Chavez came to power, relations between oil-rich Venezuela and the chief buyer of its crude soured anew when Chavez expelled a U.S. naval attache last week. The State Department responded by expelling a Venezuelan diplomat.

Despite the spat, Venezuela's ambassador in Washington Bernardo Alvarez said on Thursday Venezuela would continue to supply oil to the United States. Venezuela, the world's No. 5 exporter of oil, provides roughly 15 percent U.S. oil imports.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

www.cnn.com . . .

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Blackleaf said:
Chávez tells Blair to go to hell

Simon Jeffery and agencies
Thursday February 9, 2006

The Venezuelan president, Hugo Chávez talks to his supporters during a rally in Caracas. Photograph: Nicolas Pineda/EPA

Well said my chavez, a man with nuts will always have my support.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: Chávez tells Blair to go to hell.

Mogz said:
He can sit on the barrels all he wants. If he wants money he has to ship those. As for funding little revolutions, he can go nuts. Eventaully he'll wind up dead in his backyard pool who 2 bullet holes in the back of his noodle.

If the US doesnt want the oil, I'm sure China will.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Jay said:
ITN has nuts, and so do I....

Yeah right, accepting to sends troops overseas for a war based on speculations to kill innnoncent peoples which has already been devastated by bomb raids from clinton and bush 1, for ressources, doesnt require nuts, actually it is the best defnition of being a coward.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

aeon said:
Jay said:
ITN has nuts, and so do I....

Yeah right, accepting to sends troops overseas for a war based on speculations to kill innnoncent peoples which has already been devastated by bomb raids from clinton and bush 1, for ressources, doesnt require nuts, actually it is the best defnition of being a coward.

Oh that's right, I forgot you like Saddam's nuts too.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Numure said:
Mogz said:

If the US doesnt want the oil, I'm sure China will.

Actually if I remember correctly, only the refineries in the US can process Venezuelan crude, I could be wrong though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think any guy who wears a reddish pink uniform and tells Britain to give the Falklands back to Argentina (even though they've NEVER been Argentinean) deserves to be laughed at.

If the Venezuelans want to go to war with Britain, we'd gladly accept. We have a habit of winning wars.