Palestine/Israeli conflict - what we should know but don't

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
News on this subject is so subjective and everyone has an opinion. But I think its a safe assumption that most people want peace in this area of the world.

The string on The Church of England refusing to profit from an occupation reveals how poorly informed and confused most people are on this subject. The problem is that our news and media on this subject is mostly propaganda. So I will open this can of worms.

I will try to present the facts as honestly as I know them. I am also open to the fact that I don't know everything about this conflict and I've never been to Israel or Palestine. But in this day of the internet, all the information is on the web somewhere.

As a refence, I am posting a link to the

link

"If Americans Knew" website. This website deals with many common held but mistaken beliefs many of us have about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

Many people have an impression that before Israel existed, the area was a wasteland, occuppied by a few desert nomads.

This map disproves that belief.
link

Palestine was occupied by people who ran businesses, cultivated the land, and lived in homes.

When the UN created Israel in 1947, hundreds of thousands of non-Jews still legally owned and occupied the land.

Some history:
link

In 135 AD, Romans expelled all Jews from what is today Israel/Palestine. Yes it was cruel and wrong, but it happened over 1800 years ago. The descendants of these people have no more legal right to this land than the decendants of every other historical injustice for the last 1800 years. In Canada, you don't have to go back even that far.

Rome was an empire governed by law, and what the empire did was legal according to its laws. Human history has a very long list of injustices and this was one of them. But descendants of people historically wronged 1800 years ago have no legal claim on this land based on that distant historical injustice. If each of us examines the lives of our ancestors, likely you will find at least one who was also wronged.

Even though the Jews were expelled by the Romans, the lands were never emptied. Other people besides Jews lived there before, during and after the Jewish expulsion. These people had legal ownership of the land. They then transferred that ownership to others through sale or by inheritance.

Since that time, this area has been invaded and occupied many times, leading to many other more recent historical injustices. The descendants of these victims of these historical injustices have no rights to the land either.

After the Ottomans conquered this area in 1516, it became relatively stable for 400 years. The Ottomans governed all citizens including Muslims Muslims, Jews and Chrisitians by a relatively just legal system which recognized property ownership.

link

Jews and Christians may have suffered some discrimination from the Muslim majority, but its a fact that Jews and Christians were far better treated in the Ottoman empire than Jews and Muslims were treated in most of Europe. The legal system basically required people regardless of religion, to pay their taxes and in return the empire protected them. Citizens in this kingdom had rights which included property ownership. Each village (Muslim, Jewish, Chrisitian etc...) was also allowed to make their own laws as long as they didn't conflict with Ottoman law. While under the Ottoman rule, Muslims, Jews and Christains lived together relatively peacefully and shared mutual respect.

In WW I, the Ottoman empire collapsed and the area known as Palestine became a British Mandate

link

Under the British mandate, Palestinians (Muslims, Jews, Chrisitians...etc.) continued to have legal ownership of their properties.

That brings us to the point where the UN partitioned Palestine reserving land for a Jewish state. The UN made that decision without consulting the inhabitants or the neighboring countries. Its purpose was to solve a post WW II European Jewish refugee problem by allowing them to emigrate to a new Jewish state in Palestine. While this solution solved Europe's problems, the sudden arrival of hundreds of thousands of people into Palestine created new problem for the million or so people already living there and the neighboring countries.

At the time the UN decision was made, hundreds of thousands of Jewish refugees had already fled to this area to avoid the horrors of Nazi occupied Europe. Even before Hitler, a movement called Zionism (a Jewish homeland in the Land of Israel) had already begun. WW II just accelerated the movement. Before the Zionist movement began in 1870, only only 2% of Palestinians were Jewish.

link

At that time, Palestine was no more Jewish than the United States or Argentina.

link

Even with hundreds of thousands of Jewish refugees emigrating to Palestine, Jews were still a minority Jews were still a minority when the UN partitioned Palestine in 1946 giving most of Palestine for a Jewish state.

The Jewish refugees were immigrants to these lands despite their claim that their ancestors lived here 1800 years earlier and that they had a divine right to this land. Legally, they were still immigrants. They were not granted title to any land. Like anyone else could buy land from legal owners, most of whom were not Jewish.

Until this mass migration, Jews and Muslims had lived together in relative peace. But many Zionist immigrants believed all of Palestine was their divine right, as in they did not recognize the legal ownership of the land by non-Jews. This created tension between the new immigrants and hundreds of thousands of non-Jews who legally owned most of the land even after the UN partition. The Zionists wanted these people to abandon their property and simply leave. Inevitably this conflict led to war.

You can read about about the causes of the war of Israeli independance here:

link

Even though its hard to get the objective facts about who did what to whom, I think its safe to say atrocities were committed on all sides.

When full scale war broke out in 1947, the fighting was mostly between the heavily armed, well trained Jewish immigrants and poorly trained and disorganized foreign mostly Muslim armies from Egypt, Syria, Jordan...etc.

Most Palestinians (Muslims, Christians and Jews) were poor, unarmed and more focused on trying to make a living in the middle of a war zone during this time. Most were farmers, businessmen, peasants with families. Some did Palestinians (Jewish and non-Jewish) participated in the war. Muslims tended to side with the Muslim foreigners and Jews tended to side with the Jewish foreignors. But the overwhelming majority of Palestinians, (Muslim, Chrisitian and Jew,) stayed out of the fighting.
(See the links above about the war and its participants. Few of the nearly million non-Jewish Palestinians participated in the war.

When the Jewish immigrants defeated the mostly foreign Muslim armies, they turned their attention to ethnically cleansing their newly acquired territories of non-Jews, most of whom had lived in Palestine for centuries. The term ethnic cleansing isn't an exageration. Its a sad but well documented fact that Jewish soldiers raped, pillaged and murdered non-Jews to encourage them to flee Palestine in terror.

link
link
link

I can find many links supporting this historical fact.

Using terror tactics against people based on race and religion in order to remove them from the land and never allowing them to return is ethnic cleansing by any definition.

I am not claiming that Jews weren't also subjected to atrocities by Muslims during this period. They were. What I am claiming is that the Jews won this conflict and then proceeded to ethnically cleans Israel of non-Jews.

The extent of Israel's ethnic cleansing can be seen clearly with this map.

link

The red dots on this map represent non-Jewish villages razed by the state of Israel.

After the war, the new state of Israel passed the Absentees' Property Law.

...The Absentees’ Property Law defines persons who were expelled, fled, or who left the country between 1948-1952, mainly due to the 1948 War, as well as their movable and immovable property, as absentee. Property belonging to absentees (mainly land, apartments and bank accounts) was put under control of the Custodian for Absentees’ Property, subordinate to the State of Israel (Adalah: The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel 1998). Since 1948, all Absentee properties, including properties of the Islamic Waqf, have been under a series of transfers that place them under various authorities culminating in a process of privatization. Through this process, the ownership of these lands will be formally transferred from the State to kibbutzim, moshavim and private companies, without state control.

In real numbers, the creation of the State of Israel displaced some 700,000 Palestinians of whom 100,000 remained on the land and were naturalized as Israeli citizens. Further, some 32,000 Palestinians were internally displaced and prevented from returning to their land, although they are/were Israeli citizens (Badil Resource Center). As a result of the 1967 War, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians became refugees, many for a second time, and most have not been allowed to exercise their right of return. Today, Palestinians constitute the largest group of refugees in the world at approximately 5 million.

link

This law is how all these people who were forced out of Israel lost legal right to their land.

The ethnic cleansing of Palestine is yet another injustice in a land which has seen more than its share of injustices.

As a result of war and the above law Israel became predominantly Jewish owned and occupied. Its also how 5 million Palestinians became landless refugees.

Since that time, Israel has continued seizing the properties of non-Jews. Worse, the people who refuse to leave suffer oppression, injustice, criminal behavior, war crimes committed by individual Israelis and the State of Israel. The people who left live in the hopeless and poverty of refugee camps.

These websites by objective sources back up my statements:

link

link

link

Far too few people know little to nothing of the suffering of non-Jewish Palestinians.

Think you are well informed? Then which number do you think is greater:

Just the number of Palestinian children killed by the Israeli miliary
or
The total number of Israelis killed by Palestinian suicide bombers.

The answer is here:
link

The reason for our misperceptions in this conflict is that our news has chosen sides.

The periodic violence committed against Israelis by individual Palestinians and Palestinian militant groups is newsworthy:

Israel's history of bomb blasts

The daily violence committed against Palestinians by the State of Israel and individual Israelis is not newsworthy.

I'm not asking anyone to take sides. What I'm saying that in order to have a balanced opinion, you need to listen to all sides of a dispute. For example this first person testimonials put you in the shoes of non-Jewish Palestinians during the time of the ethnic cleansing:

Reflections of a Native Son

I was born on a hill overlooking Ein Kerem. From the top of that hill, one could easily see the skyline of Jerusalem during the day and its shining lights during the night. My father managed a resort run by the Anglican Church atop Jebel El-Rab (the hill of God). On Sundays, dignified people (including many Jews and foreigners) would come there for tea and dessert. Down in the valley where the beautiful village, known for its greenery, gardens, and scenic landscape, was nestled, the fields would be dotted with groups of picnickers from Jerusalem, out for a relaxing day in the country. Ein Kerem is the birthplace of John the Baptist and Mary is said to have visited it before giving birth to Jesus.

It was an Arab village until 1948, with some Christians and some Muslims. It is now part of Jewish West Jerusalem, and no Arabs live there, the village having been emptied of its original inhabitants in 1948....

link

Non-Jewish Palestinians also include many Christians:

From the Memoirs of Father Audeh Rantisi

I cannot forget three horror-filled days in July of 1948. The pain sears my memory, and I cannot rid myself of it no matter how hard I try.

First, Israeli soldiers forced thousands of Palestinians from their homes near the Mediterranean coast, even though some families had lived in the same houses for centuries. (My family had been in the town of Lydda in Palestine at least 1,600 years). Then, without water, we stumbled into the hills and continued for three deadly days. The Jewish soldiers followed, occasionally shooting over our heads to scare us and keep us moving. Terror filled my eleven-year-old mind as I wondered what would happen. I remembered overhearing my father and his friends express alarm about recent massacres by Jewish terrorists. Would they kill us, too?

We did not know what to do, except...

link

Palestinians are human beings deserving of the same fundamental human rights the rest of us take for granted. The five million Palestinian refugees came from what is today Israel. But pro-Israeli selective truths has created a lot of confusion about this conflict.

Listening to pro-Israeli selective truths creates about as accurate a perception of events as one would have if they listened to a radio broadcast of a boxing match, and the announcer only mentions the blows delivered by one boxer. Yes the information is accurate, but its not complete or in context. Its purpose is to manipulate rather than inform. Therefore most of what we know about this conflict is subjective and based on one side's selective truth propaganda.

But selective truth propaganda can be offset by considering all selective truth propaganda from all sides. Here are opinions and stories I recommend reading for balance:

Children and the Israel-Palestine Conflict

War crimes and the Israeli occupation

Suicide bombing

Abu Shanab

Myth: This is a "security wall".
link

Look at the route it takes and how it walls off Palestinians from each other, water and arable land.

Reality: Its yet another land grab at the expense of Palestinians

Creating a culture of impunity

So yes absolutely the Church of England is justified in not wanting to profit from what the state of Israel does to Palestinians. It would be immoral.
>>>>>>>

I know some people reading this are thinking I may be anti-Semitic/anti-Israel. I assure you I am not. I am a humanist. I just want people to live together peacefully. I believe in a two state solution to this conflict. But you can judge for yourself whether my conclusions about this conflict are reasonable and balanced:

The root cause of this conflict was Nazi Germany's genocide of European Jews.

Post WW II Europe used their power in the UN to transfer the burden of the European Jewish refugee problem onto the people of Palestine.

Creating the state of Israel without consulting the people in Palestine and neighboring countries was a mistake.

Neighboring nations invading Israel in 1948 and provoking Israel into subsequent wars were mistakes.

The world doing nothing while Israel ethnically cleansed Palestine was a mistake.

Doing nothing about the 5 million Palestinian refugees is a mistake.

This war will continue while Palestinians rot in their refugee camps.

I feel for both Israelis and Palestinians. Too many of our leaders have been guided by ambition and greed rather than a desire for peace and justice.

Allowing 5 million Palestinian refugees back onto their lands now would create new injustices for Israelis. But doing nothing about the refugee problem won't make it go away. Unfortunately no country wants these people or has taken up their cause.

The state of Israel has no immediate intention to stop seizing Palestinian land, destroying Palestinian homes and building new Jewish settlements.

Only a fair and just solution will lead to peace.

I think all nations involved in this conflict (Israel, nations that voted in favor of creating Israel and nations which have fought against Israel) have a responsibility for absorbing their fair share of immigrants and paying compensation. Canada voted in favor of creating Israel. Our fair share would probably be to absorb, feed, clothe, shelter and educate tens of thousands of these refugees.

I hope this rant clears up the many misconceptions about this conflict and I welcome civilized and rational commentary about this post.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
RE: Palestine/Israeli conflict - what we should know but don

Oh yeah. Are you nuts?

That's what we need, tens of thousands of Palestinian Muslim immigrants.

We don't have enough riots, car burnings, embassy attacks, and bombs on our planes and trains. We don't need freedom of speech, what we need is a few more tens of thousands of immigrants that don't understand the basic concepts of western democracy, all with an axe to grind vs the USA and Israel, with a significant number of homicidal psychopaths included.

If anyone takes in Palestinian refugees, it should be the Muslim nations that have used them as a club to beat Israel for the last 60 years.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re: Palestine/Israeli conflict - what we should know but don

Colpby fess up

Did you read that whole post and all the links too????

You deserve an award.... or ice cream!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

ITN

Ah, a cartoon that doesn't make the tempers flare! The message was insightful too!

One comment and perhaps it is my paranoia from all this stuff going on: Did you notice that the main character wasn't a human at all - thus avoiding any conflict of gender, race, ethnicity indicating we have have reduced ourselves to the wisdom (and safety) of chickens because humor has become aligned with slur against another. *sigh*

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re: RE: Palestine/Israeli conflict - what we should know but

Colpy said:
I CONFESS!

Not even close.

Good man!

I was feeling a bit slouchy that you had read it all.... I nodded off one-third into the message. I am certain it was worth a read and will return eight or nine times to finish it sometime today...8)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Wednesday's Child said:
ITN

Ah, a cartoon that doesn't make the tempers flare! The message was insightful too!

One comment and perhaps it is my paranoia from all this stuff going on: Did you notice that the main character wasn't a human at all - thus avoiding any conflict of gender, race, ethnicity indicating we have have reduced ourselves to the wisdom (and safety) of chickens because humor has become aligned with slur against another. *sigh*

Actually it's a white dove with an olive branch.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Oh thanks ITN...that explains it......

It was the durn hat that got me ....

OK I am glad we're not chickens after all....

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

earth_as_one said:
I hope this rant clears up the many misconceptions about this conflict and I welcome civilized and rational commentary about this post.

I think the best solution of all of this, even from my girlfriend point of view which is a jew who was born in israel, is all jew, leave israel( cause only religion freaks moron really want their holy land) and go somewhere else, like in usa, europe.

The facts and history shows this land belongs to arabs.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

I think not said:

If we want palestinians to have moderate leaders, then we must make sure, everypalestinians doesnt live in fear, with no human rights, they have elected a radical group, which is normal, when you know what kind of life they live, imagine united states has elected a radical group, even though, the situation isnt close to what palestinians lives. :roll: simple fact

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Isn't this peachy, earth_as_one suggesting we take Palestinian refugees and aeon suggesting we take all the Jews. :roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

It was bad enough forming Israel with most of the land in Palestine even though a majority of the people at the time were Arabs. It was worse to arm the Jews, and continue to arm them until they are the most powerful force in the area. Before anyone starts saying that the Arabs vow to destroy Israel, we should think of what we might say if over half of Canada was taken. The despicable apartheit that has been going on in Palestine for the last 30 years at least is every bit as bad as anything in South Africa. This problem will not go away. I don't know why anyone thought it would. Now we have someone suggesting that we take the Arabs into Canada. The U.S. and Britain made this problem. Maybe they should be asked to solve it. Maybe it should be demanded that they solve it.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

Wow, some people need to take a closer look at the situation. Israeli's have a right to exist, plain and simple. I don't care who you are, what religion you follow, if you're male or female, if you can't wrap your head around that then you're a sorry excuse for a human. You cannot sit there and decree that all Israeli's should leave. How the hell is that even feasible? The same with a call to remove all Palestinians.

If you've followed the Israeli-Palestinian situation then you'll know that all Israel wants is to be left in peace. Not a tall order considering that Jews have been getting the shitty end of the stick for centuries. Yes we took some land and made a home for them. I ask you, would this issue have occured if we say carved out a peace of Canada for the Jews? No, because that is not how we as a people function. Oh I can agree that some people would have bitched and moaned, but by and large no one would have minded. Why is it so hard to Muslims to let Israel exist? If Palestian would back off and just let things be, you can bet Israel would open their borders to everyone and there would be free access to all the Mosques on the Israeli side.

As you can no doubt tell by now, I am pro-Israel. Why? because I do not think any one group of people should be wiped out. We have a word for that, it's called Genocide. If you follow politics, you'll know that the new Hamas Platform in Palestian calls for the extermination of Israeli. How can people throw their support behind that? This isn't the first time that Arabs have tried to wipe out Israel; they've tried so on numerous occassions in the past. Some notables:

The 6 Day War - 1967

The yom Kippur War - 1973

On two occasions, Arab forces have tried to smash in to Israel. In 1967 a combined force of Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon attacked Israel after Israeli Foreign Minister Golda Meir invited Arab leaders to sit down for peace talks. Naturally Israel stomped the Arab forces, but the point is that war was wage after peace negotions were offered. During the Yom Kippur War, the Arab nations waited for the Israeli holy week to come, then they attacked Israel, knowing many members of the Israeli Military would be on holiday. Once again however Israel owned the Arabs.

I've cut out the boring details, but i've written papers on both the 6 Day War and Yom Kippur War, so I am well versed in how the Arab nations have treated Israel. I cannot fathom being so socially blind that I would agree to wage way upon another nation with the intent of wiping them out. Canada and Denmark dispute the ownership of Hans Island, however can you honestly see either Denmark or Canada declaring war over it? No, because we're civilized. A luxary the Israeli's dont have; hence why they retain one of the best and well equipped militaries in the World. A military that on any given day, at any given time, has 10% of it's military active ready to move, a claim no other nation, even the United States, can make.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

First of all,

There is as much chance of Israel being destroyed by Arabs as there is of a cow hi-jacking an airliner. Israel has probably the forth most powerful miltary in the world. Their modern military plus their nuclear capability that includes submarine launched nuclear cruise missiles they are more than a match for the whole Arab world combined. Stop whining about Israel being destroyed. It's not going to happen, My point was, that this problem is not going to just go away by itself as long as israel occupies land that doesn't belomg to them. The long and the short of it is that the Israelis wanted all of Palestine from day one and they've got it.. The west bank is not part of Palestine, and neither is Gaza.

Virtual Burlesque

Nominee Member
Feb 19, 2005
Ontario

Mogz said:
Canada and Denmark dispute the ownership of Hans Island, however can you honestly see either Denmark or Canada declaring war over it? No, because we're civilized. A luxary the Israeli's dont have
OH COME ON!

Don’t you think that comparing our reaction over a difference of opinion about the ownership of a small, uninhabited, barren, arctic island measuring half a square mile in size to the reaction raised by another dispute over an area of land in excess of 2,305 square miles in size, inhabited by 3.8 million people, is begging your question just a trifle more than the current traffic in intolerance can bear?

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
RE: Palestine/Israeli con

What people fail to realise is that at the same time as Isreal was offered a nation, so was Palestine, the difference, they refused. Do you really think that peace will be achieved by a simple redrawing of borders? If so, I beg to differ. On the other hand, I am not worried about Isreal being crushed, they do have on any given year between the 3rd and 4th largest military in the world, they are well trained and fully capable of defending themselves.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net

The Headlines would seem to indicate no progress.

But boy is everything so different today !!!

Who would have dreamt that the suicide bombers have
been virtually stopped by The Wall ???

Who would have dreamt that Palestine would have an
election and then have Hamas won ?

Of course everyone is so trained to be skeptical,
that progress is being unnoticed before our very eyes, and still we won't believe it because we would be so
wise in pointing out the many problems that still exist.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

jimmoyer said:
The Headlines would seem to indicate no progress.

But boy is everything so different today !!!

Who would have dreamt that the suicide bombers have
been virtually stopped by The Wall ???

Who would have dreamt that Palestine would have an
election and then have Hamas won ?

Of course everyone is so trained to be skeptical,
that progress is being unnoticed before our very eyes, and still we won't believe it because we would be so
wise in pointing out the many problems that still exist.

Living sorrounded by walls is unacceptables,the same the way palestinians lived, you cant expect angels with chocolates wings, when peoples are threated like the palestians.They had election before , and they had elected the fatah, but since it is well known that the fatah was a corrupt party, then they decided to elect a radical one, damn i just had a flashback from 23rd of january 2006.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Colpy said:
Oh yeah. Are you nuts?

That's what we need, tens of thousands of Palestinian Muslim immigrants.

We don't have enough riots, car burnings, embassy attacks, and bombs on our planes and trains. We don't need freedom of speech, what we need is a few more tens of thousands of immigrants that don't understand the basic concepts of western democracy, all with an axe to grind vs the USA and Israel, with a significant number of homicidal psychopaths included.

If anyone takes in Palestinian refugees, it should be the Muslim nations that have used them as a club to beat Israel for the last 60 years.

I think there,s a lot of western democrats that don,t understand the basic concepts of western democracy.