Nuclear watchdog reports Iran to U.N.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
VIENNA, Austria (CNN) -- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog agency passed a resolution Saturday reporting Iran to the U.N. Security Council over its nuclear program.

In response, Javad Vaeedi, deputy of Iran's nuclear negotiating team, said Iran would resume its full nuclear-related activities, without restriction, and will no longer allow snap inspections of its nuclear facilities.

"This resolution is politically motivated, since it is not based on any legal or technical grounds," Vaeedi said.

Twenty-seven of the International Atomic Energy Agency's 35-nation board voted during an emergency session in favor of the resolution. Syria, Venezuela and Cuba were the sole countries in opposition. Five countries abstained: Algeria, Belarus, Indonesia, Libya and South Africa.

Vaeedi told CNN he did not see the resolution as a "serious signal" from the international community, but rather a message from the Western bloc of countries. Iran has said it is pursuing nuclear research for peaceful purposes; the United States and other countries suspect Iran is trying to build a nuclear bomb.

In a statement, the British representative said that, should Iran fail to comply with the board's wishes, the Security Council will be expected to bring additional pressure to bear on Iran.

The referral to the U.N. Security Council came one day after a top Iranian official warned such a move would mean an end to diplomacy, according to Iran's state-run news agency, IRNA.

The IAEA resolution includes a clause, inserted at the insistence of Egypt, that says, "Recognizing that a solution to the Iranian issue would contribute to global nonproliferation efforts and to realizing the objective of a Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction, including their means of delivery."

That clause is considered to be a reference to Israel's undeclared possession of nuclear weapons.

The resolution called on Iran to take steps to build confidence and resolve questions about whether its nuclear program is indeed peaceful.

Those steps include re-establishing "full and sustained suspension of nuclear-related activities;" reconsidering the construction of a heavy-water research reactor, ratifying an additional protocol allowing inspections of nuclear facilities and, pending ratification of the draft, continuing to act in accordance with the provisions of the additional protocol.

Finally, the resolution called for Iran to allow "access to individuals and documents."

The IAEA board began the emergency session on Iran's nuclear issue Thursday. It was requested by the EU3 -- Britain, France and Germany -- after reaching an impasse in negotiations with Iran when the Islamic state announced last month it had broken IAEA seals on its nuclear facilities.

The EU3 submitted the draft resolution, with the backing of all five permanent members of the Security Council: Russia, China, Britain, France and the United States.

To get approval from Russia and China, the draft resolution was amended to request to delay any action by the Security Council against Iran until IAEA Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei presents a report on Iran's nuclear activities to the board next month.

But China's ambassador to the United Nations signaled that another diplomatic quagmire could emerge if the Security Council considers sanctions against the Islamic state.

"We're not in favor of sanctions," said Wang Guangya at the U.N. headquarters in New York. "We still have time to be flexible, to work diplomatic solutions."

Konstantin Dolgov, Russia's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, echoed Wang's comments, saying he "We want only a diplomatic solution."

ElBaradei said the resolution would create a "window of opportunity" by giving Iran 30 days to consider proposals that would prove its nuclear intentions are peaceful, as the Islamic state insists.

The IAEA has asked Iran to return to its full suspension of "enrichment-related activities until the agency has come to a conclusion on the scope of the program," ElBaradei said.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad denounced that request in a speech Thursday, IRNA reported.

"They are determined to deprive us of our legal rights to access nuclear technology so that they would sell the same to us at a very high price," he said.

Over the next month, meetings will take place to consider issues such as a proposal under which Russia would enrich uranium for Iran, ElBaradei said.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in a prepared statement, said, "The world does not want -- and must work together to prevent -- a nuclear Iran."

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The U.N. is at this moment negotiating with Iran....

To see how much it will be able to raise by postponing...and setting aside....and delaying....... all those money-making non-efforts the U.N. is so good at.

It took twelve years to look into Iraq - while money exchanged hands. Draft resolutions...committee meetings... amendments, reviews....my hat! Ka-ching goes the cash register.

Iran are hot to bomb....the U.N. need to make money while they can get away with it.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Nuclear watchdog repo

Let them f--k up each other. the UN is an organisation founded on post war corruption and graft, the more they get involved, the more I want to see some middle-east action. Sure, it's a bad thing.... but think of all the problems a few nukes in the area would solve ;P

I am not being serious btw...

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
I think not said:
VIENNA, Austria (CNN) -- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog agency passed a resolution Saturday reporting Iran to the U.N. Security Council over its nuclear program.

In response, Javad Vaeedi, deputy of Iran's nuclear negotiating team, said Iran would resume its full nuclear-related activities, without restriction, and will no longer allow snap inspections of its nuclear facilities.
"

Well who cares about united nations?? isreal don t, and usa don t, so why iran should??

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
aeon said:
I think not said:

"

Well who cares about united nations?? isreal don t, and usa don t, so why iran should??

Nobody cares about the United Nations. Except Canada.

That's what makes it so irrelevant.

And they're going to put sanctions on Iran?

Now that's funny.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
I think not said:
Because the US, Israel and members of the Security Council have bigger toys.

Lol, funny then, since we are stronger than you, better listen to us, be in the axis of good(usa-uk-isreal), or just die??

Double standard, israel to this day are still making nuclear weapons, us has enough nuclear weapons to vaporized the entire planet, but iran cant, cause we just don t like you folks, or i should say , our bank arent controlling your country yet , damn i think i ve been too far :)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
aeon said:
Lol, funny then, since we are stronger than you, better listen to us, be in the axis of good(usa-uk-isreal), or just die??

No, it means don't threaten us because we have the ability to bite back. Be a good little boy and stop playing with toys we know you will use on us.

aeon said:
Double standard, israel to this day are still making nuclear weapons, us has enough nuclear weapons to vaporized the entire planet, but iran cant, cause we just don t like you folks, or i should say , our bank arent controlling your country yet , damn i think i ve been too far :)

Israel is a democracy that likely has nuclear weapons and yet hasn't used them, primarily because they aren't run by islamofascist mullahs who have made threats prior to even acquiring WMD's.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Colpy said:
aeon said:
I think not said:

"

Nobody cares about the United Nations. Except Canada.

That's what makes it so irrelevant.

And they're going to put sanctions on Iran?

Now that's funny.

The idea of having the United Nations is still a good idea. The U.S. has been trying to destroy the UN for years. The U.S. doesn't want anyone or anything to get in the way of the rampant U.S. corporate sector.

I will be the first to admit that reforms are needed. Particularly, the veto system. Unfortunately, the veto system will prevent any serious reform process.

Canada simply recognises the need for a place where even the smallest country can be heard from.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
The idea of having the United Nations is still a good idea. The U.S. has been trying to destroy the UN for years. The U.S. doesn't want anyone or anything to get in the way of the rampant U.S. corporate sector.

I will be the first to admit that reforms are needed. Particularly, the veto system. Unfortunately, the veto system will prevent any serious reform process.

Canada simply recognises the need for a place where even the smallest country can be heard from.

Ah yes, the US has been "trying" to dismantle the UN for years and hasn't accomplished it because of .........what?

Tell me #juan what is the rampant US corporate sector and how is it unlike any other corporate sector, say Canadas?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
I think not said:
No, it means don't threaten us because we have the ability to bite back. Be a good little boy and stop playing with toys we know you will use on us.

How do we know they will use it on us?? don t let media tell you what they want to teach you.

What is the point of letting others like israel having nuclear weapons, when we know what they did to the palestians??

-no human rights, bomb raid on citys, walls around citys, stealing water ressources, stealing land,what is next?? a nuclear bomb, because hamas is considered dangerous??

or a nuclear bomb because it would save lives and kill the terrorist??( i don tknow where i got that, probably from a barbarian point of view )

i think not said:
Israel is a democracy that likely has nuclear weapons and yet hasn't used them, primarily because they aren't run by islamofascist mullahs who have made threats prior to even acquiring WMD's.

Pakistan hasnt used them yet too.

Israel arent run by islamofascist,but from the zionist, which is the islamofascist version of jews.So where is the difference??

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Nuclear watchdog repo

I think that this is going to end very badly for everyone if this doesn't go smoothly. If Iran cuts production of oil, or their allies come to their rescue as a response to an attack, there could be major consequences to this situation.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Nuclear watchdog repo

Alberta'sfinest said:
I think that this is going to end very badly for everyone if this doesn't go smoothly. If Iran cuts production of oil, or their allies come to their rescue as a response to an attack, there could be major consequences to this situation.

Very sad to say, but i think you are right to the point . 8O

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
aeon said:
How do we know they will use it on us?? don t let media tell you what they want to teach you.

Why risk it when they have declared they want Israel wiped off the map, or are you saying they meant wipe a stain off a map and the western media fed us bullshit?

aeon said:
What is the point of letting others like israel having nuclear weapons, when we know what they did to the palestians??

Israel hasn't nuked Palestinians or anyone else for that matter.

aeon said:
-no human rights, bomb raid on citys, walls around citys, stealing water ressources, stealing land,what is next?? a nuclear bomb, because hamas is considered dangerous??

Blowing up civilians, beheading civilians, state sponsored terrorism, what is next? Poof, that's what.

aeon said:
or a nuclear bomb because it would save lives and kill the terrorist??( i don tknow where i got that, probably from a barbarian point of view )

You must have read it on Iran's state website.

aeon said:
Pakistan hasnt used them yet too.

Israel arent run by islamofascist,but from the zionist, which is the islamofascist version of jews.So where is the difference??

The difference is they most likely posess nuclear weapons and don't go around threatening their neighbors to extinction, that's the difference.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
I think not said:
Why risk it when they have declared they want Israel wiped off the map, or are you saying they meant wipe a stain off a map and the western media fed us bullshit?.

The western media fed us total bullshit, there is no way you can find direct quote of the leader of iran, stated that he would like to see israel wipe off the map, but was talking a world withouth zionist, just like when your president talks about radical muslim.

i think not said:
Israel hasn't nuked Palestinians or anyone else for that matter.

But they are still doing them, enough to blow up the entire middle east, israel are constantly illegally attacking palestinians , when iran hasnt touch anyone for years, so iran hasnt illegally attack anyone, so there is more chance they don t use their nuke, pakistan never did so far, so why not iran?? ohh you don t like them, easy to hate muslim isnt???

aeon said:
-Blowing up civilians, beheading civilians, state sponsored terrorism, what is next? Poof, that's what.

That is Saudi arabia, but since they are great friend of the united states, nobody talks against them.

i think not said:
You must have read it on Iran's state website.

Nah, from a republican point of view, when talking about nuclear bomb dropped on japan.

i think not said:
The difference is they most likely posess nuclear weapons and don't go around threatening their neighbors to extinction, that's the difference.

That is again a misinterpretation of what the leader of iran said.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Strangely,no one has asked for sanctions against Russia,whose nuclear experts are helping Iran build their nuclear station...just as no one asked for sanctions against the United States when it aided Israel's nuclear development.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Nuclear watchdog reports Iran to U.N.

annabattler said:
Strangely,no one has asked for sanctions against Russia,whose nuclear experts are helping Iran build their nuclear station...just as no one asked for sanctions against the United States when it aided Israel's nuclear development.

Not only israel, usa has helped, but also north korean, through donald rumsfeld own coorporation, can you believe it??