Bolivian Leader takes Pay cut

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
LA PAZ, Bolivia - New President Evo Morales cut his salary by more than half and ordered that no Cabinet minister collect a higher wage than his own, with the savings earmarked for hiring more public school teachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

In one of the first decrees of his five-day-old administration, the leftist former street activist said his monthly salary would be 15,000 bolivianos, or the equivalent of about $1,700.

"I ask for (the ministers') understanding and efforts to try meet this demand, not for Evo but for the people," Morales said after a Thursday meeting with his Cabinet.

"We need 6,000 new teachers and there is only money for 2,200."

Morales had promised to cut the salary of the president and members of his party in half during the election campaign. His predecessor earned 34,900 bolivianos, or $3,900, a month.

Morales was inaugurated as Bolivia's first Indian president on Sunday following his landslide election win in December.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127...XtvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Now if some federal politicians took a pay cut. Greedy buggers.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Now that's what leaders are made of.

Left or not, that type of selfless action for the better of the society that elected the person to begin with is what makes people proud of that leader.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now that's what leaders are made of.

Left or not, that type of selfless action for the better of the society that elected the person to begin with is what makes people proud of that leader.

Absolutely correct. Now if our leaders could take a pay cut instead of a pay hike, we would be in a better world. Wouldn't you say.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It just opens them up to further corruption to meet their ends.

Officials should be paid accordingly.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
His Excellency the Honourable Evo Morales is an upstanding leader, if I have ever seen one — such a selfless act in the interest of his nation is inspiring, and our House of Commons could certainly take a page from his book. Well, forget a page, let's try a few volumes.

In the Province of British Columbia, our Government voted in a unanimous decision with the Opposition raise Members of the Legislative Assembly's salaries by, in some cases, up to thirty percent — all the while declaring zero pay raises across the board to other public workers, on the grounds that there were insufficient funds.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Bolivian Leader takes Pay cut

Jay said:
It just opens them up to further corruption to meet their ends.
:scratch:

Jay said:
Officials should be paid accordingly.
:? Accordingly to the unnecessary pay raises they've had for years*? Or accordingly to the job they've been given? Are they still living better than the common people there after the pay cut?

*That is just an assumption, but is common enough to assume.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah, that was disqusting with the 30% pay raise for B.C legislators.

However, if politicians were like Morales, then maybe there wouldn't be so much apathy towards politicians.

Maybe I should put that in my platform somewhere, that MPs from my party would introduce a pay cut for MPs or something. That might be popular. :D

Especially because it would be good for the nation.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That would be an excellent idea, Jersay.

While I would argue that our Members of Parliament should certainly be paid a adequate-generous sum, we should ensure that this is not being done at the detetrimental expense of Canadians; we should also ensure that Members are not eligible to begin receiving their pension until such a time as a non-elected citizen would working for the Government.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
That would be an excellent idea, Jersay.

While I would argue that our Members of Parliament should certainly be paid a adequate-generous sum, we should ensure that this is not being done at the detetrimental expense of Canadians; we should also ensure that Members are not eligible to begin receiving their pension until such a time as a non-elected citizen would working for the Government.

That is a good idea FiveParadox.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Bolivian Leader takes Pay cut

FiveParadox said:
His Excellency the Honourable Evo Morales is an upstanding leader

Really? Would you know this from his leadership with a coca growers' union? I admit what he has done is selfless,that doesn't give him an automatic title of an upstanding leader. His entire administration has next to zero experience, yes, cronyism isn't a Bush trait alone.

Bloomberg takes $0 pay as mayor of New York, he can kiss my ass though, since anything positive in New York is not because of his administration.