I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Al-Qaida targets Alaskan pipeline
Muslims urged to launch attack from Mexico and Canada

Matthew Ramsey, The Province
Published: Friday, January 20, 2006

B.C.'s energy sector is on heightened alert after an al-Qaida-affiliated Internet blog message called on Canadian and U.S. jihadists to attack an Alaskan oil pipeline.

The 12-page posting targets the Trans-Alaska Pipeline specifically and energy infrastructure in California and Mexico in general. It was discovered and translated from Arabic Dec. 30 by the Washington-based SITE Institute.

The posting advocates riddling the iconic pipeline with bullets, blowing it up and causing large fires to complicate repair efforts, and attacking ocean-going tankers or fuel depots in Valdez.

"The most suitable candidates for these operations are our American Muslim brothers who live on the land of trash . . . Also, we can add to this jihad group any other groups who can reach the American terrorist regime, either directly or through neighbouring countries, like Canada or Mexico," the posting says.

While refusing to confirm or deny any investigations that may or may not be under way, Canadian Security Intelligence Service spokeswoman Barbara Campion said the threat has been noted.

"ITAC [the Integrated Threat Assessment Centre] is well aware of the Internet posting," she said.

The FBI has also confirmed the posting and is communicating with relevant American agencies affected by it. FBI officers say the pipeline information and maps included in the posting are readily available online.

All B.C. Hydro facilities have been advised of the threat and security has been escalated to "a guarded state," said spokeswoman Elisha Moreno.

"It's one step above where we operate normally," Moreno said, adding that employees at 30 hydroelectric dams, two gas-powered thermal plants and one combustion turbine station have been asked to be more vigilant.

Scott Webb of Terasen Gas said the utility regularly conducts air, ground and marine patrols of its rights of way where 43,000 kilometres of pipeline (including 3,000 km of high-pressure pipeline) is buried in B.C.

Terasen is aware of the posting and is reacting, Webb said.

"We obviously take security very seriously, monitoring threat levels on an ongoing basis," he said. Terasen maintains 24-hour pipeline surveillance from its Surrey headquarters and "knows immediately if there are any problems" with the system, Webb added.

That the U.S. and Canadian energy sector are vulnerable is fairly obvious, said a former special security advisor on counter-terrorism in Ontario.

"You've got exposed critical infrastructure in remote locations. Therefore, it is vulnerable," said Scott Newark. "The point of this is to look at the nature of the asset we're talking about."

Access to pipeline infrastructure is relatively easy in Canada and the impact of a major energy disruption would be significant, Newark noted. A single bullet hole in the Alaska pipeline in 2001 saw 300,000 gallons of crude oil leaking out.

Al-Qaida has threatened energy installations and infrastructure in North America in the past, added Dr. Martin Rudner, director of the Canadian Centre of Intelligence and Security Studies at Carleton University.

"The real question is: Does the adversary declare the intention to attack the pipeline?" Rudner said. "If it's serious, it's very serious. If it's fraudulent . . . there is [still] no question our energy sector is under threat.

"Terrorists intend to hurt us. They don't intend to play games."

Link

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
This is such an easy target that I have wondered why it hasn't been hit ,and often. My only conclusion is that the enemy hasn't the right people in place for such an operation YET.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
We must be more cautious about immigration.....and those who mess around with terrorism or even illegal activity should be deported immiediately.....the Liberal government was a ticking timebomb, thankfull we will have a competent govt in a few days...

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
just because we haven't had a terrorist attack in Canada,the government has become complacent;"it will never happen here.We're too nice!" We are long overdue for one! I just figured it would be the Skydome or the CN Tower being blown to bits. Yes,a strong leadership here is what we will have and I'm looking forward to surprising good things from the PCs.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
We must be more cautious about immigration.....and those who mess around with terrorism or even illegal activity should be deported immiediately.....the Liberal government was a ticking timebomb, thankfull we will have a competent govt in a few days...

There is a fine line between those participating in terrorism and those who people believe may be participating in terror.

Competent, my ass. I can see the bombs going off any second now.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Immigration Canada

Hank C said:
My must be very careful not to mistake suspected terrorists for the tried and true thing. We need to ensure that we do not begin "profiling" immigrants based on religion, country of origin, or anything of the sort — anyone requesting residence, citizenship or visitation in Canada has the right to be assumed to be innocent of any wrongdoings, in my opinion.

If they give a reason to demonstrably justify in a free and democratic society that they are a threat to Canada, then yes, perhaps imprisonment or deportation would be warranted (however, we need to ensure that in order for wrongly accused persons to be protected, a thorough appeal process must be readily available).

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Muslims urged to atta

Because you know, only Muslims can be terrorists right? If i'm not mistaken, it was a Muslim that blew down the Oklahoma building..no ..wait..wrong attack.

While I am certain there are al-queida operatives in Canada and the US and all over the world, i question the validity of the source that this is coming from..namely the US government...the same people who tried to blame Canada for allowing terrorists in their country when ALL of the people from 9-11 came through the US borders.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On an interesting note, Statistics Canada concluded that more terrorists were entering Canada through the United States than was true the other way around.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Well how would statistics canada measure that? LOL. Go up to someone and say, pardon me..can you fill out this survey. Are you a terrorist and how did you come into this country? Hahahah. Sorry..that put a grin on my face today. I am easily amused. hehe...quiet..quiet..heehe...hmm..he..he....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would assume that they would base their statistics on the number of confirmed or imprisoned terrorists in both countries who had recently emigrated from the other?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure; I'll see if I can find the report within the next few hours and post a link to it. I really have no idea what kind of methodology they would use for something like that, but now I'm curious, damn it. lol

:!: Edit Corrected a typo. "Methodoly" isn't a word, lol.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Hahaha..no you don't need to ! I just found it amusing! But yah, i would imagine too that they look at things like detainees and so on.

I dunno, you know sometimes i think that the government in the USA would feel much better about themselves if they just rounded up all the Muslims in North America and hanged them on crosses.

It just annoys me that caucasian people are identified by their culture (ie Ukraninan, Scottish etc) but all middle eastern people are identified by "Muslims" and not the country or ethnic group they belong too. Why the differentiation. There are Christian Arabs, Jewish Arabs, etc etc. There are also Ukranian Muslims, French Muslims and so on and so on. So why the differentiation.

Leads me to conclude that this 'label of identification' is based more on religious ideological hatred and less on race....