Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
LOL !!

That graph is a riot !!!

You oughta see how the French have a 2-headed
executive branch with a President and Prime Minister,
where one is overall leader but mostly domestic and
the other has a lot of say over foreign policy.

And now just move on to the American Electoral
College and we'll have even more laughs.

By the way, each Western Democracy has unusual
built-in idiosyncrasies that upon first glance look
laughable but which have quite legitimate pros and
cons.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: French Parliament

jimmoyer said:
LOL !!

That graph is a riot !!!

You oughta see how the French have a 2-headed
executive branch with a President and Prime Minister,
where one is overall leader but mostly domestic and
the other has a lot of say over foreign policy.

And now just move on to the American Electoral
College and we'll have even more laughs.

By the way, each Western Democracy has unusual
built-in idiosyncrasies that upon first glance look
laughable but which have quite legitimate pros and
cons.

I might be wrong... thats why I am brushing up on the forth republic. But the PM is head of Government and the Pres is head of State.

But yeah they have an overly complex, yet interesting system. I think that graph is making something simple into something..... which should be shown as art or something.

But really I came across that graph by chance. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It makes little sence to me.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Actually, this graph seems somewhat similar to Canada's system of governance; I would assert that there are far more similarities than there are differences. Allow me to explain.

President of the Republic

The President of the Republic is comparable to our Governor General (were our Head of State to receive a more direct mandate from the people). Both Heads of State are responsible for appointing the Prime Minister (in both systems, that appointee must command the confidence of the House of Commons {or the French "National Assembly"}, and is normally the leader of the largest party). In both systems, the President / Gov.-Gen. exercises a certain degree of executive power, but most is in practice exercised by the Prime Minister.

National Assembly

The National Assembly is elected in a fashion similar to that of Canada, and is comparable to our House of Commons. The Prime Minister, and his Ministers, sit with the Government in the Lower Chamber, where budgetary initiatives are drafted and introduced, debated. In both systems, the Government can be "defeated"; in France, through a motion of censure; and in Canada, through a motion of non-confidence.

Senate

The Senate in France receives far more of a mandate than does its counterpart in Canada, and is generally far more right-wing than the National Assembly. One half of the French Senate is renewed every three years, and Senators serve six-year terms. This can be seen as being far more "democratic" than the Senate in Canada, which is comprised of long-term appointments by the Governor General on the advice of the Prime Minister. As is the case in Canada, the powers of the Senate are somewhat "limited"; the National Assembly has the final say in the event of a disagreement between the two Houses.

Conseil d'État

This Council is responsible for reviewing the legitimacy of a piece of legislation before it can be introduced in either House of the French Parliament.

Constitutional Council

When a bill has been adopted in identical form by both Houses of Parliament, it is sent for the signature of the President. If the President of the Republic, the speaker of either house or sixty deputies (Members of the National Assembly), or sixty Senators request that the bill stand referred to the Constitutional Council, then the bill is referred thereto for constitutional review. Additionally, the President can use his or her executive power to return a piece of legislation to Parliament for another review; this power can only be used once per law, however.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well Paradox I wasn't saying there system was messed up nor was it unlike our own. Though it is different because of the manadates they recieve. Anyhow that graph is horrible. I've seen simple and complex graphs for the canadian government. I don't know why someone would make a graph so messed up like that one I posted. It makes little sence unless you already know about the french gov.

Anyhow, I've always said most governments use a republican format, just like Canada. It just some may still have the appearance of checks and balances but like in Canada it doesn't funtion with them.

I personally like the French Republican module, though I also like some aspects of the American and the UK WM module of governments. All of which are based on the same Roman princibles. Though, it looks as if Canada has nerfed it and turned government into a more representational Athenian mob rule module.

*shrugs*

Anyhow I stand by my first impressions of that graph. The guy was on acid.