Victims of Creeping Fascism

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
By Charles Sullivan

12/19/05 "ICH" -- -- When a sitting president declares that the constitution is just “A God damned piece of paper,” it reveals much about his inner character; or lack thereof. It reveals dangerous illusions of omnipotence, contempt for the law, and scorn for the people. It was George Bush who uttered those tortured words to Whitehouse aides last week. Easily misled by false idols intoxicated with power and driven by insatiable greed, we are witnessing nothing less astonishing than the demise of the American experiment. Dreams of democracy, justice, peace and hope are receding into the dim recesses of ever more distant memory. We see them morphing into an Orwellian nightmare of monstrous proportions that promises to pursue us to our graves. If we continue on this course of ethical decline, in another decade we will not even be able to recall the forms and texture of those dreams that once held so much promise.
Story

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
jjw1965 said:
By Charles Sullivan

12/19/05 "ICH" -- -- When a sitting president declares that the constitution is just “A God damned piece of paper,” it reveals much about his inner character; or lack thereof. It reveals dangerous illusions of omnipotence, contempt for the law, and scorn for the people. It was George Bush who uttered those tortured words to Whitehouse aides last week. Easily misled by false idols intoxicated with power and driven by insatiable greed, we are witnessing nothing less astonishing than the demise of the American experiment. Dreams of democracy, justice, peace and hope are receding into the dim recesses of ever more distant memory. We see them morphing into an Orwellian nightmare of monstrous proportions that promises to pursue us to our graves. If we continue on this course of ethical decline, in another decade we will not even be able to recall the forms and texture of those dreams that once held so much promise.
Story

Well I personally think the American Constitution wasn't ment to be a bible but a living constitution which changes. Bush, I don't think he's a despot either, I may disagree with almost everything he has done but really is just as bad as at least half the other American presidents *shrugs*

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
RE: Victims of Creeping F

Finder, if you honestly think this isn't important, then - with all due respect - you really ought to study up on U.S. history. This is MAJOR. Perhap it's more obvious to those of us who live here, but to any serious student of U.S. history, and to those of us who live here and took our lessons in civics and history to heart, this is an emergency.

The Constitution is the document that lays out the form and substance of our government, and the limitations thereon. The President of the U.S. swears an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution when he takes office - for him to subsequently decide that it has no value is UNACCEPTABLE.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The President of the U.S. swears an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution when he takes office - for him to subsequently decide that it has no value is UNACCEPTABLE.

Absolutely !!

and summer.....one does not have to live in the US to appreciate the importance /gravity of the verbal abuse from the shrub towards this critically important document.

It isn't about it being inflexible...........it is the ARROGANT, BELIGERANT and DISRESPECTFUL ATTITUDE that he conveyed so clearly towards something that has been the back bone of the US system etc.

..........one would have thought there would be more of an outcry. Weird. :?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well I personally think the American Constitution wasn't ment to be a bible but a living constitution which changes. Bush, I don't think he's a despot either, I may disagree with almost everything he has done but really is just as bad as at least half the other American presidents *shrugs*

Well now, no offense, but here's a personal pet peeve of mine.

Connstitutions are never "living " documents. They are dead, and cast in stone, and should always be interpreted in light of what those who wrote them intended.

All constitutions can change, there is always a formula for amendment, but that procedure always requires a high degree of concensus among the people. This is how it should be.

Constitutions are not only the highest law in the land, they are a statement of the basic values of society. To cast them as 'living" documents leaves your freedoms at the mercy of whatever fad happens to be popular today.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Victims of Creeping F

Summer said:
Finder, if you honestly think this isn't important, then - with all due respect - you really ought to study up on U.S. history. This is MAJOR. Perhap it's more obvious to those of us who live here, but to any serious student of U.S. history, and to those of us who live here and took our lessons in civics and history to heart, this is an emergency.

The Constitution is the document that lays out the form and substance of our government, and the limitations thereon. The President of the U.S. swears an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution when he takes office - for him to subsequently decide that it has no value is UNACCEPTABLE.

Absolutely dead on.

I have never considered Bush the monster some on this forum do, but these actions are way beyond the Pale.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Constitutions are not only the highest law in the land, they are a statement of the basic values of society. To cast them as 'living" documents leaves your freedoms at the mercy of whatever fad happens to be popular today.
---------------------------Colpy---------------------

A lot of conservatives are joining the liberals
on this matter of not only surveillance but
being arrested without a stated charge.

Civil liberties is the stick to beat over the head
of an incompetent bureaucracy.

It serves notice to the bureaucracy to do its homework
better rather than some slipshod manner.

McCain brings up the valid point that even in
an extreme urgency where time is important, we
would hope the bureaucracy does the right thing
and not be too timid, but if it transgresses these
rights for an extreme imminent danger, than
constitutional law will rule in favor of
a hero who was bold enough not to worry
about his career to save the day for all of us.

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Colpy said:

Connstitutions are never "living " documents. They are dead, and cast in stone, and should always be interpreted in light of what those who wrote them intended.

All constitutions can change, there is always a formula for amendment, but that procedure always requires a high degree of concensus among the people. This is how it should be.

jimmoyer said:

Now theres something we can agree on! If more Americans would take the time to learn why the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are so important and stand up when bureaucrats try to take them away, we would have a better country, and I would have less to bitch about :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
jjw1965 said:
Colpy said:

jimmoyer said:

Now theres something we can agree on! If more Americans would take the time to learn why the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are so important and stand up when bureaucrats try to take them away, we would have a better country, and I would have less to bitch about :wink:

Count me in on this one too. jjw. :)