jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The Puzzle Of the Suicide Bomber

By Anne Applebaum
Wednesday, November 16, 2005; A19

In the four years since the most famous suicide bombing in history, our explanations of what motivates suicide bombers haven't grown any simpler.

Certainly the old stereotype of a suicide bomber as someone ill-educated or illiterate was shattered by the life story of Mohamed Atta, leader of the Sept. 11 plot, who defended a master's thesis in urban planning at his Hamburg university and who spoke German so well that he liked to correct the grammatical mistakes of native speakers.

Post a bit...provide a link.....

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
How then does one combat a suicide bomber's beliefs? How does one argue against those who say the oppressed have the right to fight back by using any means necessary? How does a pacifist, like myself, come to grips with the hatred such suicide bombers must have for the "infidel"?
------------------------from Paranoid Dot Calm's link--------

That article asked the right question.
Its description of these people frequently as low income is not really the key, because we got a lot more low income people who don't make that choice, nor are the low incomes as politically active or as politically ideological as other groups in society.

The world is always full of sin, always will be.
Most of us know that and so we make choices differently than that of the psychology of the suicide bomber.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Its description of these people frequently as low income is not really the key, because we got a lot more low income people who don't make that choice, nor are the low incomes as politically active or as politically ideological as other groups in society.

One thing that sociologists and political scientists often mention about the United States is that there is a large and growing underclass that is also politically disenfrachised. I've heard several refer to the nihilism that is now represented and growing in that underclass.

You may not have suicide bombers yet, Jim, but you have had several instances of domestic terrorism. If somebody with good organisational skills came along and got these people to care about something, you'd have suicide bombers too.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Reverend Blair said:

One thing that sociologists and political scientists often mention about the United States is that there is a large and growing underclass that is also politically disenfrachised. I've heard several refer to the nihilism that is now represented and growing in that underclass.

You may not have suicide bombers yet, Jim, but you have had several instances of domestic terrorism. If somebody with good organisational skills came along and got these people to care about something, you'd have suicide bombers too.

excellent point rev. And a point that very few take into consideration when discussing /analysing the "suicide bombers & their motives" or how they evolved to that level of organized rage. Suspect that many simply don't want to face some real facts of this process.----as it is a process. These "bombers" don't arise/evolve overnight .....

(and it sure ain't about "hating our freedoms"......as the bushcon would have ya believe. Such a silly man. )

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's taken them a century or more to develop in the Middle East, Ocean. The US has really only been working to create domestic terrorists and suicide bombers for about a quarter of a century. I don't that most Americans are willing to understand that.

I hope most Canadians are.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
-------------------------------Reverend Blair--------------

You're right. And it has already happened.
Americans can look what happened in France and forget that it has already happened in our cities in 1968 and since.

I'm not sure we can ever solve this problem by buying our way out of poverty.

Poverty is a much more intractible issue than any of us can really appreciate AND the solutions are much tougher than we know.

I'm wondering vaguely at the idea of a culture of thinking that leads people to take personal responsibility for their lives.

Yet I still wince at those who were born on 3rd base and think they've hit a triple.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
very good points raised here. far too often people look at things in isolation and fail to see the processes that led up events. Nothing occurs in isolation, and history can be a great teacher.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
In a sense, being a union leader (as an example) in a capitalist society is kinda' suicidal.

The view concerning whether or not financial circumstances contribute to suicide bombers is up for debate. I think that poor folks don't mind remaining poor, but wanna know that their voices are still heard and remain credible. It is when poor folks begin to belive that the elite fail to recognize the "genuine" plight of being poor that riots quickly develop as what was seen across Europe.

People who see no future in their life, terminating their lives is not such a terrifying and difficult matter. It is a natural psychological extension for one who no longer finds meaning in his or her own life to slight the lives of others as well

Suicide bombers are actually vendetta's or revenge attacks. Revenge is quite a powerful physchological event.

This article I thought was quite interesting.

Kamikaze pilots and suicide bombers
By Yuki Tanaka
December 03, 2005
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/GL03Dh02.html

Calm

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: SUICIDE BOMBERS

jimmoyer said:
The problem for the insurgents is how many fellow Iraqis they are killing. They're killing more of them than are the Americans.

You have a name for that Jim. Your government calls it "Collateral Damage". A suicide bomber mission is not only to kill but to put as much fear in the heart of his enemies as possible. This is done when his/her enemy sees the carnage.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

moghrabi said:
jimmoyer said:
The problem for the insurgents is how many fellow Iraqis they are killing. They're killing more of them than are the Americans.

You have a name for that Jim. Your government calls it "Collateral Damage". A suicide bomber mission is not only to kill but to put as much fear in the heart of his enemies as possible. This is done when his/her enemy sees the carnage.

very well stated mog. :thumbleft: the US is not the only one that creates "collateral damage"..(and other such catchy euphamisms )

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Ocean Breeze said:
moghrabi said:
jimmoyer said:

very well stated mog. :thumbleft: the US is not the only one that creates "collateral damage"..(and other such catchy euphamisms )

Oh so very nice.....

except that the "insurgents" are targeting their own people, fellow Muslims, in an attempt to start a civil war between Sunni and Shia.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Colpy said:
Ocean Breeze said:
moghrabi said:
jimmoyer said:

Oh so very nice.....

except that the "insurgents" are targeting their own people, fellow Muslims, in an attempt to start a civil war between Sunni and Shia.

at the risk of being trite.............all is fair in love and war. .........or maybe not. It is still the US that created the environment for this to be happening. .........back to the drawing board??;-)

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Actually this is something outsiders DON'T know but Iraqis do.

The insurgency loses everytime they kill fellow Iraqis.

AND, when they destroy a mosque or kill 200 policemen, or kill 17 Iraqi soldiers, their fellow native citizens notice this more than the western outsider does.

Everytime.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

jimmoyer said:
Actually this is something outsiders DON'T know but Iraqis do.

The insurgency loses everytime they kill fellow Iraqis.

AND, when they destroy a mosque or kill 200 policemen, or kill 17 Iraqi soldiers, their fellow native citizens notice this more than the western outsider does.

Everytime.

We don't know exactly who is killing the policemen or bombing the mosques. Someone with an agenda not to let the police be capable of controlling the situation. Someone who has an agenda to create a civil war. Do not look too far Jim.

PS. I am still open to an open frank discussion about how we look at things.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Where are we getting the information that the insurgents are killing their people. All is said in the western media is a bomb exploded here and another there. How can be sure who is doing it. It could be the insurgents and it could be the occupying force or both. I'll vote for both.

For what is the US doing and done, from torture to illegal weapons to secret prisons, why should I believe that the US is not behind some of the carnage so they keep Iraq under their control.

But there is also insurgency out there against the American occupation and they are killing people along the way. As I said before: Collateral damage.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
You would think with 160,000 US troops alone in Iraq they could with their hi tech, best trained in the world Armed forces they could of squashed these "insurgants" rather easily.

Makes me wonder if some of the shenanigans going on over there are not done by CIA or some other American agencey to continue justifying (and giving america a reason to stay there, to protect the bush crime families oil interests) this illegal occupation?

I am not saying that is happening but with all the US and coalition of the brainwashed military might over there, it makes me wonder.