Miami Police Take New Tack Against Terror

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Thats it, slowly get the American public used to the ideal of a police state, give up your liberty for false security! jjw1965

MIAMI (AP) — Miami police announced Monday they will stage random shows of force at hotels, banks and other public places to keep terrorists guessing and remind people to be vigilant.

Deputy Police Chief Frank Fernandez said officers might, for example, surround a bank building, check the IDs of everyone going in and out and hand out leaflets about terror threats.

"This is an in-your-face type of strategy. It's letting the terrorists know we are out there," Fernandez said.

The operations will keep terrorists off guard, Fernandez said. He said al-Qaida and other terrorist groups plot attacks by putting places under surveillance and watching for flaws and patterns in security.

Story...

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
pastafarian said:
MIAMI (AP) — Miami police announced Monday they will be changing the official uniform so as to complement the new brown shirts that have become regulation issue. :roll:
Brown Shirts, Hmmm, anything like the brown shirts of the SS?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Whenever there is an action (terrorists) there will be an opposite and equal reaction (the police state).

Whenever there is an action (the Police State) there will be an opposite and equal reaction (the terrorists).

We're in trouble.

Because I find both reactions (the terrorists and the Police State) leading us to ever more regulated and restricted lives.

I find the problem of the bias of this board is not equally condemning both with the same intensity and quantity of posts.

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
ACLU O.K. With Miami Police Raids
Unpartisan.com

I would expect that the ACLU would find this as a violation of the 4th amendment, but to my suprise we got this statement.

Howard Simon, executive director of ACLU of Florida, said the Miami initiative appears aimed at ensuring that people’s rights are not violated.

“What we’re dealing with is officers on street patrol, which is more effective and more consistent with the Constitution,” Simon said. “We’ll have to see how it is implemented.”

I don’t know what to say! Their inconsistency on this issue has me completely confused. I think I actually agree with them here. While I am for searches on airplanes, and subways, it sounds a little scary that I might just be minding my own business and…BOOM, everyone is surrounded and asked for I.D.’s. I’m not against exercizes to protect us from mad men bombing us, so…where I agree with the ACLU here is that it will all depend on how this is implemented.

I’m sure that many liberals will be double shocked with this post. I think many will be shocked at the position the ACLU is taking on this one, and perhaps shocked again that of all people, I’m agreeing with them. Source

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
jimmoyer, the actual threat that terrorists pose is vanishingly small in any statistical sense. I suspect you're far more likely to be shot by some nut with road rage, sexual inadequacies and a Glock.

Drunk drivers, global warming and second-hand smoke are also far more likely to kill you.

Get real about terrorism, elect an administration that is competent to deal with what threats exist, and don't let band-aid measures rob you of your freedoms because the rhetoric is full of tough cowboy talk.

That being said, your single post has adressed the imbalance of posts on this board condemning terrorism vs. the threat of a Police State in terms of their historical levels of danger. I expect we'll need to hear from you again to redress the imbalance after another thousand or so posts condemning the latter.

Thanks for keeping us "fair and balanced". :D

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
LOL !

You're a tough one, Pastafarian.

Forgive me a moment with a salute and a laugh as I limp away.

Your accurate presumptions do beget other considerations such as the irony that war and terrorism has always gotten the greatest reactions of outrage more than disease and old age that has at least a 90 percent kill rate, eh?

And so liberals, conservatives, moderates all react more to terrorism, police states, war and torture than the biggest killers of all.

And so we're back full circle, aren't we?

That terrorism more than disease will increase the power of the police state and the police state will increase the power of terrorism.

That's the physics of the matter, until the next plague.