Who armed Iraq? Who loves Saddam?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The WMD (weapons of mass destruction) trail begins in 1975 when Saddam Hussein – at that stage still the Vice President of Iraq - joined forces with French Prime Minister (now President) Jacques Chirac in a deal to purchase French military equipment and armaments.

Jacques Chirac sent an arms negotiation team to Iraq on March 12, 1975, who offered up to 72 of the then state-of-the-art Mirage jet fighters, as well as 40 German Dornier jets (West Germany, in 1975, was still under a United Nations ban on exporting weapons, imposed after WW II, and channelled their defence sales through France to undermine the UN sanction).

The French, for their part, were desperate to source cheap oil from Iraq in order to maintain their overall share of the world oil market. Saddam needed weapons and the ability to manufacture them under license in Iraq; France needed Iraqi oil. It was, noted commentators at the time, a marriage made in heaven.

In their desperation, French Prime Minister Jacques Chirac also promised Saddam that France could build Iraq a nuclear reactor capable of breeding enough weapons-grade uranium to make three or four Hiroshima-sized atomic bombs a year. For public consumption however, France treated the reactor project as a civilian-use nuclear power station – a facade that first began to crumble only a few days after the deal was signed when Saddam Hussein told the Lebanese newspaper, Al Usbu al-Arabi, "The agreement with France is the first concrete step toward the production of the Arab atomic weapon."

Saddam’s personal relationship with Chirac was close. During numerous official and private visits, Chirac developed a taste for masgouf carp, a type of fish native to Iraqi rivers. Saddam arranged for 1.5 tonnes of masgouf to be flown to Paris as a gift to Chirac. In the French press, Jacques Chirac’s nickname was "Mr Iraq".

"Beyond Iraqi oil and the Mirage deal," writes US journalist Kenneth Timmerman in The Death Lobby: How The West Armed Iraq, France signed up to build "petrochemical plants, desalination plants, gas liquefaction complexes, housing projects, telecommunications systems, broadcasting networks, fertiliser plants, defence electronics factories, car assembly plants, a subway system, and a navy yard, not to mention Exocet, Milan, HOT, Magic, Martel, and Armat missiles; Alouette III, Gazelle, and Super-Puma helicopters; AMX 30-GCT howitzers; Tiger-G radar, and a nuclear reactor capable of making the bomb. It was a multibillion dollar relationship."

Under the nuclear contract, France not only agreed to build two reactors, Tammuz I and II, but also to train 600 Iraqi nuclear scientists at French universities. France had refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 1970, saying it regarded its right to export nuclear material as an "issue of national sovereignty" and that it did not regard itself as bound by the Treaty.

But it wasn’t just nuclear technology that Iraq was sourcing from France. The Paris-based Institut Merieux was contracted to build Iraq’s first biological weapons research facility, although officially it was listed as "an agricultural bacteriological laboratory". The purchase went through an Iraqi agency, the General Directorate of Veterinary Services.

A year later, in 1976, Saddam Hussein was pushing for chemical weapons manufacture as well. The French Prime Minister again helped out, opening doors for Iraq in the United States. Because of its reputation for supporting terrorism, Iraq was on the US banned list, but by going through France it was hoping to bypass US restrictions. The "personal friend" of M’sieur Chirac was introduced to a French engineering company with a subsidiary branch in the US. That branch called on a New York chemical equipment company, Pfaudler & Co, and told them Iraq needed to build a pesticide factory because "Iraqi farmers are unable to protect their crops from the ravages of desert locusts and other pests".

This seemed like a reasonable request, and Pfaudler sent staff to Iraq to begin work on the project. The US company pulled out of the deal several months later when it became apparent that Iraq wanted to manufacture 1,200 tonnes of Amiton, Demeton, Paraoxon and Parathion – highly toxic organic compounds that can be converted into nerve gas.

French media reports indicate there was some opposition within Chirac’s cabinet to the idea of giving Iraq nuclear weapons technology, but "when Andre Giraud, the head of the French nuclear energy committee, protested strongly, Chirac threatened to sack him if the deal was not completed according to the signed agreement. Indeed, the matter was considered to be of such importance that President Giscard d’Estaing took personal control of the affair in order to ensure it’s smooth passage."

When the Soviets got wind of Iraq’s planned switch, they firstly threatened to call in Iraq’s debts and, when that didn’t work, threatened to withhold spares or maintenance for Iraq’s existing Soviet-made military equipment.

Annoyed by the American company’s decision to pull out of the "pesticides factory" deal, Iraq approached two British firms in late 1976, ICI Chemicals and Babcock and Wilcox. According to the Washington Post newspaper, ICI refused to become involved because it too was "suspicious of the sensitive nature of the materials and the potential for misuse". ICI tipped off British authorities, and it is widely accepted that the CIA was made aware of the Iraqi plans by early 1977. The CIA, however, was going through some painful Congressional investigations over its unauthorised international activities and reportedly wasn’t keen to conduct another Boy’s Own adventure in Baghdad.

Instead, Saddam Hussein tried his luck in East Germany. He dispatched scientist Dr Amer Hamoudi al-Saadi to Leipzig for discussions with Karl Heinz Lohs, the director of the Leipzig Institute for Poisonous Chemicals. According to Lohs in an interview with German newspaper Der Spiegel years later, al-Saadi pulled no punches.

"You Germans have great expertise in the killing of Jews with gas. This interests us in the same way...How [can] this knowledge...be used to destroy Israel?"

Having constructed its "pesticides" factory, Iraq began purchasing raw ma-terials for it in July 1983. The first shipment, 500 tonnes of thiodiglycol – an ingredient of mustard gas – was sourced through a Dutch company, which went on to supply many hundreds of tonnes more. The Dutch company acted as a ‘front’, ordering the chemicals in from the US. That particular deception wasn’t discovered by US authorities until 1986, three years after the first chemical weapons had been used by Iraqi forces against Iran. But US intelligence agencies had acted swiftly after the first gas attacks in December 1983, and a report to the US Government in early 1984 recommended the immediate imposition of export controls on chemicals that could be used in weapons. Iraq and Iran were the first on the banned list, but the warring nations went through so many middlemen that eventually the banned list included the entire world, save for 18 Western nations.

"During the [Iran/Iraq] war," writes Egyptian investigative journalist Adel Darwish in Unholy Babylon, "the United States, Britain and France tempered their strictures against Iraq and its production and use of chemical weapons because they were already preoccupied with confronting a more immediate threat – Ayatollah Khomeini and his fiery brand of Shia fundamentalism which was threatening to spread throughout the Islamic world."

"It wasn’t that we wanted Iraq to win the war. We didn’t want Iraq to lose. We weren’t really that naive. We knew [Saddam] was an SOB, but he was our SOB."

Contrary to popular conspiracy theory, however, most of Iraq’s military assistance was not coming from the United States at all. Instead, throughout the war with Iran and right up to the 1991 Gulf War, the bulk of ordinary weapons, and WMD material, was coming from Europe – specifically France and Germany.

In October 1990 West German company Josef Kuhn was outed for supplying Iraq with biological weapons, two mykotoxins whose effects included skin irritation, blisters, dizziness, nausea, diarrhoea and eventually death.

West German companies were also involved in building three chemical weapons plants codenamed Ieas, Meda and Ghasi, whose task was to produce a chemical agent that could penetrate gas masks and NBC (nuclear/bio/chem) protection suits. They were successful, by all reports. A quantity the size of a sugar cube is sufficient to kill 2,500 people.

Saddam Hussein’s quest to develop the first Arab nuclear bomb has come unstuck several times. While French nuclear en-gineers worked around the clock to bring the two nuclear reactors online, both Israel’s Mossad spy agency, and Russia’s KGB, had infiltrated the project. Both countries harboured extreme concerns about a nuclear-tipped Iraq. At the same time, the Iraqi facilities were being guarded by agents from the French security agency DST. Nonetheless, Mossad managed to slip past the French and obtain the data they needed.

There was another irony: despite the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in Iran, the Iranian secret service SAVAM continued to liase closely with Mossad over their common enemy, Iraq. SAVAM supplied Israel with aerial photos of the nuclear reactors, and Israel hatched a plan to bomb them.

On June 7, 1981, 16 Israeli F-15s and F16s launched a lightning raid, skimming just 10 metres above the ground virtually all the way from Israel to Iraq to avoid radar detection. Sixteen massive concrete-piercing bombs were dropped, and all hit their mark. The French nuclear reactors built for Iraq were rubble.

Undeterred, Iraq’s nuclear programme was resurrected with the aid of German advisers in 1987, and efforts were made to secretly procure the necessary components from companies around the world. Both the CIA and Britain’s MI6 were authorised to crack down on Iraq’s efforts, and more export bans were introduced.

The American bans were more successful than the British ones. Ministers in Britain’s Tory Government had shareholdings in companies who were trying to win Iraqi defence contracts under the table. The Opposition Labour party, now in Government under Tony Blair, attempted to expose as many of the secret deals as they got wind of.

Key nuclear components ended up coming from Germany, China, France and Pakistan. China, in particular, supplied seven tonnes of lithium hydride, a chemical essential to the nuclear weapons programme.

McGrory also details the way some of the 18,000 nuclear scientists and workers were kept in line by Saddam Hussein. One key scientist, Hussein Shahristani, resisted Saddam.

"He went to prison; he was tortured; he was made to watch a 7-year-old boy hanged from his wrists and then executed for the sin of writing on the blackboard "Saddam is a buffalo."

"Shahristani still refused to break. He spent eight and a half years in solitary. He was allowed one visit with his wife in the very early days and their newborn child. And he watched a Republican Guard snatch the child from his wife’s arms and hold a gun to the child’s head while he had a five-minute meeting with his wife. His captors asked, "Do you wish to persist with your refusal?" Begging his wife for forgiveness, he said, "Look, I can’t take part in this."

Shahristani, who now works to help Iraqi refugees, told a British news conference in December last year:

"My most vivid memory is hearing the screams of very young children being tortured in the neighboring torturing rooms.

"However, I was more fortunate than many of my fellow political prisoners in the country. I did not have holes drilled into my bones, as happened in the next torture room. I did not have my limbs cut off by an electric saw. I did not have my eyes gauged out.

"Women of my family were not brought in and raped in front of me, as happened to many of my colleagues. Torturers did not dissolve my hands in acid. I was not among the hundreds of political prisoners who were taken from prison as guinea-pigs to be used for chemical and biological tests.

"They only tortured me for 22 days and nights continuously by hanging me from my hands tied at the back and using a high voltage probe on the sensitive parts of my body and beating me mercilessly. They were very careful not to leave any permanent bodily marks on me because they hope they can break my will and I will agree to go back and work on their military nuclear program.

"In a way I was lucky to spend 11 years in solitary confinement because I did not have to see what was going on in the larger prison – the country of Iraq – in which 20 million people were kept captives. I did not have to witness the ceremonies in which mothers were ordered to watch public executions of their sons and then asked to pay the price of the bullets that were used in the executions.

"I did not have to watch people’s tongues being pulled out and cut off because they dared to criticize Saddam or one of his family members. I did not see young men’s foreheads branded and their ears cut off because they were late for a few days to report to their military duties. I did not see the beautiful southern Iraqi Marshes drained and the reeds burnt and the Marsh Arabs massacred and their old ways of life destroyed. I did not see the beheading of more than 130 women, who were beheaded in public squares in Iraq, and their heads put out for public display.

"In many ways I was fortunate to have survived it all to tell the stories of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who are not here to tell their stories. These atrocities have been going on for over two decades while the international community have either silently watched it, or at times even tried to cover it up.

"Saddam is not a run-of-the-mill dictator; he is exceptional. Weapons of mass destruction in Saddam’s hands are dangerous to the Iraqi people and to mankind."

As McGrory’s book notes, rape was also a tool of the regime.

"The man would arrest senior figures in the administration for no reason other than to get to their wives. In one case, a woman (she told us herself — she is now living in Scotland in absolute peril) was forced into a room where Saddam was staring at a file on his knee. He didn’t look up, just beckoned her over and she had to sit on his knee like some kind of recalcitrant child; she reports Saddam said, "Your husband has been a very naughty boy." And, with that, he raped her in the room, watched over by several guards.

"When another woman came in, she was so appalled with what he was about to do to her that she scratched her own face with her fingernails and blood began to pour down her face. Saddam is a fanatically fastidious man who hates any kind of dirt and when the blood dripped onto his suit, he pushed her away. Disgusted with what she had done, he said to the guards, "Take her outside and you deal with her." And four or five Republican Guards took her outside and raped her."

McGrory, like Darwish and Timmer-man, confirms the strong links between Europe – particularly Germany – and Iraq’s WMD programme.

"They have some appalling people. There are a couple of German scientists who were taken over to Iraq who actually worked for Hitler. They were still alive, these old boys, and they felt their worth was not really recognized in Germany. They were tempted by the fast buck and went over to Iraq. One man used to play Hitler’s speeches in his room and said quite openly, "The only other leader I would work for other than Adolf is Saddam Hussein; they are two of a kind." Well, they are.

"In fact, early on, Saddam used to carry around a copy of "Mein Kampf" like it was a Bible. His father had run off and left him, before he was born, and he was brought up by an uncle — a dreadful man — and this man taught Saddam from the time he could walk and talk that the Nazis were a great power. His uncle’s philosophy was that the Jews are lower than flies. And, when Saddam came to power, he allowed his uncle to publish his appalling rantings and insisted that everyone in Iraq should receive a copy of his thoughts."

McGrory also told WorldNetDaily of the vast personal fortune compiled by Hussein while his citizens starved under UN sanctions.

"It is thought to be in the region of US$100 billion. This could be one of the richest countries in the world. It oozes oil; it has fantastic agriculture; it has everything going for it and he has just wastefully, wastefully frittered it away along with his sons and relatives. The indulgences are shocking. The truth is, they whine about sanctions, saying they are hurting people, but you go to Baghdad and you see the fastest and finest cars. Uday at one stage had 34 cars."

But perhaps the last word on the threat that Saddam Hussein posed prior to US intervention should be left to Kenneth Joseph, one of a number of antiwar demonstrators who travelled to Iraq as would-be human shields.

Joseph’s group found the experience a real eye-opener, and his group managed to film 14 hours of uncensored video footage before they were asked to leave Iraq with the rest of the human shields.

UPI news agency reported Joseph, a young American pastor with the Assyrian Church of the East, as saying the trip "had shocked me back to reality."

Some of the Iraqis he interviewed on camera "told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn’t start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam’s bloody tyranny. They convinced me that Saddam was a monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and Hitler. He and his sons are sick sadists. Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."

Copyright 2003 onwards

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
is this supposed to be an oblique defense for bush's insanity??? :roll:

Won't work.....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't happen to think Bush is insane......far from it.

I do believe the Iraq war is a war of liberation.

I think that Canada's non-participation in that war is a case of national cowardice.

Obviously, there were some unforeseen problems, and as I have said before on this thread, there are aspects of the Bush administration that I strongly dislike.....but I'd trade Martin for him any day.

No, I don't want to be an American.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Who armed Iraq? Who

It was not a war but an illegal invasion and occupation as Iraq was not a threat to America. Plus no mandate from UN.

We (Canada) did the right thing and stayed out.

Iraq will be a quagmire for years to come, and more unnecessary death and torture will continue. America f'd up big time here.

"W" is very mentally ill. He is very very sick and needs long term psychiatric treatment (meds, time in a psych ward).

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
think that Canada's non-participation in that war is a case of national cowardice.

you're fecking kidding............or are you???

THat is the most insane thing I have heard since this horror story started.

It take bravery , confidence and intelligence to ask for proof when one knows one is being lied to. Ca has taken a verbal/ political beating from the stupid bush brigade........because it had the guts to question and stand up to the lying psychopath states side.

..................and you would prefer bush over martin????

Surely you jest. :roll:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
No, I don't want to be an American.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :toothy8: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing5: :laughing6:

(we desperately need a pinnochio emoticon......one who's nose keeps growing... 8)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No1important wrote " It was not a war but an illegal invasion and occupation as Iraq was not a threat to America. Plus no mandate from UN."

OHHH, a mandate from the UN is necessary? So, how long would you like to wait for this mandate?

As long as the Rwandans?

As long as the Muslims who surrendered their arms for UN protection in Srebrenica?

As long as 300,000 Sudanese in Darfur?

Get used to it. The political United Nations is a force for the suppression of freedom in the world, it is corrupt, dangerous, useless, and a collosal waste of time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ocean Breeze, my ancestors on both sides were Loyalists who fled the American Revolution because of their loyalty to the British crown.

The Loyalists were people who retained a number of "American" ideas, but who thought we could do a better job of building a free society while maintaining ties with the British crown.

I still think we could.

As hopeless as it seems. Besides, if I became an American, my ancestors would haunt me.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No I don't jest. On either point.

It doesn't take much for me to prefer someone over Martin......Damn, I'd rather YOU were PM. :)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Who armed Iraq? Who loves Saddam?

Colpy said:
No I don't jest. On either point.

It doesn't take much for me to prefer someone over Martin......Damn, I'd rather YOU were PM. :)

no one is saying that Martin is the bestest that we can come up with....

btw :why would anyone come up with a silly ( and I mean SILLY) question like " "who loves Saddam???

It borders very close to being inciteful.......and is highly prejudicial...........and not conducive to constructive discussion. :roll:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Colpy said:
The question was intended to be rhetorical....the answer being the French, Germans, and Chinese.

and how do you know that for a fact??? Is it love or just infatuation??? :wink:

(or just previous business as usual....not much different from the US. Mind you.........lest we forget......the US "loved" SH for as long as it suited the US purpose...... and we have photos of various US VIPs cozying up to SH. Just imagine what it must feel like to be betrayed by rumsey boy. If you can't trust your partner in crime.........who can you trust????

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The Americans were in there with Saddam the whole way, Colpy. It's been documented time and again. They protected Saddam when the world wanted to place sanctions on him for gassing the Kurds. Rummy was shaking hands with Saddam a couple days after that gassing occurred. The CIA has admitted suplying dual use technology to him. Keep you fecked up spin to yourself.

Canada wasn't cowardly for staying out of Iraq, we were brave. We could have said that we'd go, sent a half-dozen mechanics, and been all proud of our national commitment to breaking international law. It would have been easier for us...trade deals would have gone our way and Chretien would have got trip the Georgie's non-working ranch.

We chose to do the hard thing because it was the right thing to do.

You mentioned Rwanda, Colpy. It wasn't the UN that messed that up. It was the US, who said they would veto sending troops and any mention of the word genocide. France was backing them up the whole way. It was an American missile supplied to Ugandan rebels (they would have been called terrorists if they were on the other side) that shot down the plane and precipitated the whole thing.

Next time you decide to start yapping about the UN or Rwanda, or Canada for that matter, I suggest you take the time to learn some facts instead of stealing spin pieces from the right-wing propaganda machine. By the way, although you didn't credit the source, you did include their copyright at the bottom. I suggest you check the terms of service on copyright infringement.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Americans were considerably LESS in there than France, Germany, and China. Even though, after the hostage taking in Iran, they had MORE reason to treat Saddam as buddy-boy.

Not only that, but the Germans and the French were neck deep in the UN Oil for food scandal. Remember that lefty spin? (American supported UN sanctions cause the deaths of 500,000 children)

Seems that if anybody starved or died for lack of medicine in Iraq, the fingers should be pointed at Germany, France, the Annans, the UN, and at Saddam. The US was not at fault.

Funny though, the lefties forgot about that little accusation really quickly, didn't they?

You are right about Bill Clinton, after being burned in Somalia, refusing to do anything in Rwanda. However, when D'Allaire sent UN Headquarters his plan to thwart the looming genocide (a REAL one, not just spin) he was ordered to do NOTHING! D'Allaire had been tipped off, and intended to seize the propagandist radio station and several arms caches, thus forstalling the event before it happened. Considering the militias worked on orders from the radio station, this might have worked.

The UN ordered him not to proceed.

Useless.

BTW, if everybody on this forum quit using material from "propaganda machines" there would be no quotes at all. Geez, some of the stuff I've read on here is so nutty..........like the Jews planned 9-11.............need I say more?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Who armed Iraq? Who

Don't start that Oil for Food crap, Colpy...I've explained it too many times on here to have much patience for the Republican lies about it. The truth is that the US had complete oversight and chose to do nothing, then tey blew the numbers all out of proportion by including smggled oil, which had nothing to do with OFF or the UN.

The UN couldn't send help to Rwanda because the US wouldn't let them, Colpy. They said they'd veto anything that sent troops or used the word genocide. That's been discussed on here before too.

When you consider the shitty games the US were playing in Uganda, the Somalia story runs real thin real quick too.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Please note ... there are now two threads open on Saddam. Any further threads on this topic will be locked. Let's keep it to these two.

Cosmo / Mod

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I love it. Now, the defense for the US support of Saddam Hussein is, well, "France and Germany were doing it, too"

Of course they were. But despite all your bluster and bullshit, 90% of the equipment in all of the Iraqi industrial plants came from the US. And that doesn't happen without permission from above. All through the 1980s, companies that are major US defense suppliers put a lot of equipment into Iraq. Did you ever hear of Gerald Bull?

You call staying out of Iraq 'national cowardice;' I call it, staying out of an ill conceived, poorly justified act of US colonialism.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Colpy said:
I think that Canada's non-participation in that war is a case of national cowardice.

If you believe in it that strongly, why don't you go sign up to their army. Being canadian is no excuse, they're scrapeing the bottom of the barral when it comes to recruitment nowadays anyways, and would gladly take anyone right now.

I do believe the Iraq war is a war of liberation.

And I heard that Bush originally wanted to invade Wisconsin in order to free the Kurds.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

TenPenny said:
I love it. Now, the defense for the US support of Saddam Hussein is, well, "France and Germany were doing it, too"

Of course they were. But despite all your bluster and bullshit, 90% of the equipment in all of the Iraqi industrial plants came from the US. And that doesn't happen without permission from above. All through the 1980s, companies that are major US defense suppliers put a lot of equipment into Iraq. Did you ever hear of Gerald Bull?

You call staying out of Iraq 'national cowardice;' I call it, staying out of an ill conceived, poorly justified act of US colonialism.

national cowardice??? My arse.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Jo Canadian said:
Colpy said:

If you believe in it that strongly, why don't you go sign up to their army. Being canadian is no excuse, they're scrapeing the bottom of the barral when it comes to recruitment nowadays anyways, and would gladly take anyone right now.

Because I am CANADIAN, and would serve in my own military if it was necessary. That's ignoring the fact I'm 51 years old.