jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Rationalizing torture
By David R. Irvine
Published November 2, 2005

washington times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the photographs of U.S. soldiers abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib became public more than a year ago, the world has been left wondering what U.S. policy is on the matter.

Last month, the Senate finally gave a clear answer. Defying a White House veto threat, 46 Republicans and 43 Democrats voted to reject the use of abusive interrogation methods that have increased the danger to our troops and undermined America's moral authority in the war on terror. The vote came on an amendment offered by Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and several other senior Republicans to a massive defense spending bill.

The McCain amendment would reinstate the Army Field Manual on Intelligence Interrogations as the binding rules for interrogation of anyone in military custody and would make clear that all U.S. personnel are bound by law to refrain from cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of detainees. President Bush has repeatedly said that all detainees in U.S. custody will be treated humanely.

So how did nine senators justify voting against a measure that operationalizes a direct order from the commander in chief? This is an important question, because three of these senators are on the House-Senate conference committee that soon will meet to decide whether the amendment survives intact in the final bill, is stripped out or is so weakened that it becomes meaningless.

One of those three, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, Kansas Republican, recently explained why he voted against the McCain amendment. "The information we get from interrogating these terrorists is the most valuable information we get. It saves lives -- period," Mr. Roberts said.

One key to getting such information, he said, is terrorists' fear of the unknown lengths to which we might be willing to go to get it. If you pass a law that telegraphs to terrorists what they can expect if they are caught, it "will be the first chapter in the al Qaeda terrorist manual," Mr. Roberts said. Or, as one Pentagon spokesperson was quoted as saying, "We don't want to beat Iraqis; we just don't want to pass a law saying beating Iraqis is bad."

This attitude will be appealing to some. Intelligence is crucial to defeating al Qaeda, and our enemy is certain to train to resist our interrogations. No one disputes that.

But these arguments beg the most important question: Do we sanction torture and abuse of prisoners or not?

Mr. Roberts has said, "Of course I'm against torture, and of course I'm against abuse, and of course we should not degrade people. But I think the benefit of the doubt should go to our troops, because they have earned it." I would respectfully suggest that what our troops have earned, by their willingness to put their lives in harm's way for our national security, is not doubt, but clarity.

As 27 retired admirals and generals who joined me in a letter to Mr. McCain in support of his amendment said, "Our service members were denied clear guidance, and left to take the blame when things went wrong. They deserve better than that."

Perhaps the real reason behind Mr. Roberts' vote is a reluctance to rule out abusive treatment because of a belief that it gets us information. This conclusion about the value oftorture differs starkly from the opinions of many with first-hand experience in prisoner interrogation. Mr. Roberts implies that his position on the Intelligence Committee affords him secret information that leads to this certainty. If any argument demands empirical proof, however, this dubious premise is it.

The senator'sassumption seems to be that jihadists are some kind of supermen who are immune to the psychological dynamics that are a common product of our humanity and form the bulk of any professional interrogator's toolkit. Where is there evidence of that?

Reports from the field and from the FBI confirm that conventional interrogation methods are highly productive, even against al Qaeda, if skillfully used.

Respectfully, the nine "no" votes were, despite all the parsing of reasons, votes to endanger our troops and our countrymen. They were votes to officially sanction barbaric practices inflicted upon unarmed, bound, defenseless prisoners.

Our misguided torture policy has now given license to anyone who takes Americans captive to inflict the same kinds of brutality. Think about it. Those "no" votes essentially absolved the North Vietnamese of all the brutality that was inflicted upon American POWs like John McCain and James Stockdale.

Mr. Roberts assumes that we are only abusing captives who have vital, lifesavinginformation to impart. But what we've learned since Abu Ghraib suggests something more ominous: that torture is used indiscriminately, and that we are beating the daylights out of many people who are guilty of nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or being unable to communicate in English. The Army inspector general has estimated that as many as 80 percent of those arrested in our sweeps and held for intelligence or security reasons were potentially eligible for release upon proper review of their cases.

It is undeniable that Arab regard for our moral leadership in the Middle East has never been lower. It is undeniable that our government is more reviled throughout the world than ever before. We are not winning hearts and minds by degrading and torturing. If anyone believes that the information gained through torture has been worth the price to our national honor and capacity to persuade other nations to follow our lead, it's time for them to produce hard evidence of torture's superior worth. Our torture policy has been disastrously counterproductive, and the votes against the McCain amendments fly in the face of our nation's core Judeo/Christian and -- yes -- Muslim values.
------------------------------------------

David R. Irvine is a retired Army brigadier general and Army Reserve strategic intelligence officer who taught prisoner interrogation and military law for 18 years with the Sixth Army IntelligenceSchool. Helast served as deputy commander for the 96th Regional Readiness Command, and currently practices law in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...I think we all agree that we don't want to see the US do any torture, be it for the better or not......but we should all know about the torture going on during the rein of Saddam Hussein. He actually had prisons for children!!!!!...how many people did he execute because they did not support him.....we should be thankful we live in a democratic country and don't have to put up with this BS......and I strongly believe the people of Iraq and Afghanistan deserve this too.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: RATIONALIZING TORTURE

Hank C Cheyenne said:
...I think we all agree that we don't want to see the US do any torture, be it for the better or not......but we should all know about the torture going on during the rein of Saddam Hussein. He actually had prisons for children!!!!!...how many people did he execute because they did not support him.....we should be thankful we live in a democratic country and don't have to put up with this BS......and I strongly believe the people of Iraq and Afghanistan deserve this too.

ya know Hank.........it is DISGUSTING that you would even compare the bush regime to SH and his ilk as a ???? defense??? If all the US is better then is the likes of SH.......then the US is a sorry lot indeed. (WHICH IT IS NOW)..........sheesh, secret prisons, justifying torture, or trying too. Taking extreme latitude with all laws.....as if the bush regime is ???above or way below the law.

If SH Is the measurement that you guage the bush regime by........then you got one hell of a problem. (which you do)

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...no I do not compare them at all....all I am saying is that Saddam had prisons for children....tortured countless people and executed obvious innocents......now I'm saying if in the process of liberation a few will bad apples will come up...then so be it....in the end you can't ignore that a vicious dictator has been removed.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Hank C Cheyenne said:
...no I do not compare them at all....all I am saying is that Saddam had prisons for children....tortured countless people and executed obvious innocents......now I'm saying if in the process of liberation a few will bad apples will come up...then so be it....in the end you can't ignore that a vicious dictator has been removed.

a leader Has been removed .......because the US wants to control the area. and the bush regime did not have the intelligence /patience to do it in a more HUMANE way. Killing THOUSANDS to depose a leader makes sense??? only to a nut case. Furthermore....... forget the regime change lie.......as this was about WMD that bush claimed they had masses of and were an "imminent "threat........

How anyone can buy into the bush crap......is beyond comprehension.

........IT IS NOT YOUR FECKING JOB TO GO AROUND CHANGING LEADERS where ever YOU fecking well see fit. !!! Get it??? It is illegal, and unethical. GET IT??

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I'm curious, what prisons were those? Usually anything as cruel as that would have a name and brought up repedatively. That's the first time I've heard about it. It's kind of like the other rumors you may hear during wartime...you know, raping babies and kicking over incubators in hospitals, which both sides of many 20th century conflicts seem to believe the opposing side does.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
a leader Has been removed .......because the US wants to control the area. and the bush regime did not have the intelligence /patience to do it in a more HUMANE way

.....what would be the more humane way.....the UN was not going to do anything more and the sanctions were not working....also France and Russia and others were being offered oil contracts by Saddam Hussein so they would vote to lift the sanctions....now tell me how this would of been good for the people of Iraq.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
...I think we all agree that we don't want to see the US do any torture, be it for the better or not....

Ehm...no I don't think we all agree with your statement pepper, in fact it once again demonstrates your lack of intelligence. Oh no! wait...I know...if different when your government tortures people... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
ON RATIONALIZING TORTURE
GL Schmitt

Without delving deeply into my dictionary, I am aware of three distinct definitions of the word “rationalize.”

The first is an attempt to justify an action, attitude, or opinion with logical, or pseudo logical reasoning.

It is here where the author of the amendment, Sen. John McCain, has the most authority. No senator has a more complete and intimate knowledge of the effects of torture upon a prisoner. Both in his own ability to resist torture, and in experiencing his fellow torture victims’ inability to resist torture, McCain has personal knowledge of its inhumanity and its lack of success.

He is aware of the real value of torture. It is not in convincing a fanatic to compromise knowledge which might help the enemy. Rather, it is effective only in coercing the unfortunate prisoner into a spurious confession which can be used for propaganda, to produce the verisimilitude of progress against an evil foe. Uneffective, it only increases the bitterness of the prisoner.

Any information gained is as liable to be the by-product of an innocent or a crafty mind, to confess something, where it has no information, or to quickly produce and confess imaginary information, before any actual knowledge possessed can be wrung from them.

Finally, it is not a new gambit, to allow several agents, each possessing disinformation for the enemy, to be catured, so that the enemy might wrest confirming information from several differing sources, in an attempt to misdirect the enemy.

Espionage is not only the learning of enemy secrets while protecting one’s own. It is also the craft of misleading the enemy about what your true plans and movements are.

The second definition is to reorganize a procedure or system to make it operate more logically, with more consistent results.

As we have seen, the results gained through torture is successful mainly when the confession is dictated and the torture inflicted only to gain acquiesces, for use in propaganda, either to motivate one’s own people, to damage the enemy in foreign counties, or to damage the enemy’s morale. In any case where it is known openly that a country employs torture, no confession will impress, either the enemy, or the non combatant nations — only (perhaps) the citizens of that country which coerced the confession

Finally, the third definition is to make an organization more efficient by omitting all superfluous personnel, equipment, or procedures.

Since there is little solid, dependable information to be gained, even when it appears to be confirmed by several different sources, the addition of the torturer’s profession adds little of positive worth to any war effort. It destroys much of the regard of non combatant nations, coarsens one’s soldiers, and almost invariable guarantees that your soldiers when captured will be treated in a similar fashion.

Torture adds nothing of value, while destroying a hard won civility for the most helpless on any battlefield — the wounded and imprisoned.

None of this information is the result of any deep or brilliant cogitation. The Bush Administration must have been aware of these considerations. If they were unaware, there is little doubt that they were made aware of these considerations, several times, and in the most forceful of terms.

And yet, they still proceed with their torture — both breaking and changing laws to enable the torture to continue. They do not even provide adequate guides to see that the effort expended in the torture is restricted to prisoners who at least might possibly possess any information to surrender.

Not even that logical conservation of one’s own manpower expended in torturing enemy prisoners is observed.

The only conclusion that this observer can make of these actions, is that the value of torture is not at issue here. The members of the Bush Administration appear to enjoy the ability to torture, will not restrict that enjoyment of their power, and are fighting to preserve the perquisites of a bully.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Hank, you cannot use what Saddam did, much of it while he was the USA's best friend, to justify your own breaking of international law.

Furthermore, you say the sanctions weren't working, then you say that France and Russia were going to vote against them. Why the hell wouldn't they vote against something that wasn't working, but was harming civilians.

Then you say that France and Russia had oil contracts with Saddam. I guess you understand the reason for the illegal invasion after all, then. Bush's buddies at Exxon were losing out on the contracts so Bush went in and MURDERED 100,000 Iraqis so he could write contracts with oily little pals.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yes, they are trying to rationalise torture.They have to, they use it. It is unimaginable, but we must try to imagine it...

"Commander in Chief", a TV show, had this exact situation, and they used torture to get info that saved lives. In that, they believed it was justified. Obviously, thius TV show was propaganda to get Americans onside with torture use by USA forces.

They do think it is okay!!! No beating around the Bush in this one, they are really justifying it [to themselves perhaps].

Torture degrades us all - because it shows we are willing to do such beastial actions, we are showing that humans beings are still capable of acting like animals. We know we should be higher up on the morality scale than that, and it is "embarressing", we are all, as a human race, degraded by it.

To discuss this issue, we must see torture for what it is. I have had a long battle with physical pains myself.
When the flesh is torn, the bones are broken, when a body is brutalised severely, the victim's mind changes. Some get insanely full of rage, other become quiet and depressed. It is with you the rest of your life.

The act itself, as it is happening, is unimabinable to most of us. Electrocuting ones balls cannot be "handled like a man", it is overwhelming... the testicles often explode.
[We've got to know what it is we are dealing with, so try to picture these...]

Peeling skin off the body an inch at a time over two weeks is bad, and they use salt. It is such a stinging sensation that you lose touch with it, it becomes more like panic you are feeling after you lose enough flesh this way.

When they really want to create agony, they go for the BOWEL. Not just ramming brooms up there, but by making you constipated and then feeding you allsorts of things that make you poop, but you are too dehydrated to poop. WW2 soldiers say that was the worst of the tortures was their bowel pains. Just imagine having to poop urgently, but it goes on for weeks feeling like that, with added pressurs that sometimes rip the bowel [you die of sepsis then, also terrible but at least you die]

What torture victims hope for is death. Most would try suicide says the WW2 soldiers I know who went thru this stuff. But suicide is not possible, they make sure you don't have the tools or opportunity to commit suicide in torture places.

Mentally, the fav is to torture your kids in front of you. Oh fuck, i really cant finsh this, I am crying now. Fergods sakes IT IS REAL.They actualy do thses things and we sit here talking about if it is justifiable to get information.
....ok, I cant describe anymore,I am still weeping like a baby here[my sons are so dear to me] but please someone finish this...are you sure you know what it involves to torture people? Don't hold back now, write out what seeing your kids ripped in two in front of you would feel like....

close to home -
It was Mahar Arar, and his kids if they could get them.
It could be you or me next, brown skin or not.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
now tell me how this would of been good for the people of Iraq.

NO, Hank........YOU tell US.........what 'good" your approach has done for the Iraqis......their country, their countrymen, the quality of their lives.......their security, ???

What we hear from the likes of you is the canned spin and empty promises......while people continue to die /live in fear of the next atrocity ......

YOU and YOUR ILK have done more than enough.......to ruin a nation , it's people, rape the resources , humiliate them , terrorize them..............and yet you keep repeating the bush insanity as a defense???

REGIME CHANGE by an outside nation is ILLEGAL......and even bush said that at one time...........during a brief lucid moment.

sheesh. Face it , you could give one flying feck about the Iraqi s and their gov't...........as all you care about is the power trip that a war gives you. What a ride!!! Almost time to invade another country.........things getting abit boring for ya?? Time to show all that military torturing muscle???

honestly.........how fecking low can one go?? :roll:

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Furthermore, you say the sanctions weren't working, then you say that France and Russia were going to vote against them. Why the hell wouldn't they vote against something that wasn't working, but was harming civilians.

.....the UN sanctions were not as effective as should of been...but they did somewhat hinder Saddam Husseins agenda...thus we needed to improve them to lessen the harm on ordinany citizens.....not to completely lift them and free Saddam....cmon Rev think....

....if Saddam was able to bribe countries to vote and lift the ban then it would of been worse for the people....thus this way the USA, Britan and coalition troops can overthrow Saddam, and attempt to create a democracy...rather than wait for Saddam to bribe his way out of sanctions..... this is about whats best for Iraq and it's people in the long run (democracy), and whats best for the world in the long run (getting rid of a violent dictator).

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The agreements that France and Russia had with Saddam dated back to before the sanctions, Hanky. They were suspended during the Gulf War and when most of the world, not just France and Russia, started pushing for the sanctions to be lifted because of the harm they were doing to the Iraqi people, Russia and France confirmed with the Iraqi government that they still had contracts.

Enough of your US-centric revisionist history, Hanky. You were afraid that somebody else would get the oil contracts, so you invaded.

Don't bitch too much about contracts either. When Dick Cheney was CEO of Halliburton he illegally supplied both Iraq and Iran. That's illegally as in US law, Hanky...not international law.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Jo Canadian said:
I'm curious, what prisons were those? Usually anything as cruel as that would have a name and brought up repedatively. That's the first time I've heard about it. It's kind of like the other rumors you may hear during wartime...you know, raping babies and kicking over incubators in hospitals, which both sides of many 20th century conflicts seem to believe the opposing side does.

For the most part, Jo Canadian we do not torture our prisoners. The president has ordered all terror suspects to be held under the anti-torture directive.

There are a handful of .. foreign "black sites" that US intelligence uses to interrogate the key terrorist figures that have valuable knowledge regarding specific terrorist activities.

Example, if terrorists ever get their hands on nuclear weapons these "black sites" would be very useful in obtaining useful infornmation as to the wherabouts and who is involved.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You torture prisoners as a matter of course, Nero. It has been documented time and again. That's why your president doesn't want a law against torture.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Not to mention tortue quite clearly violates the Geneva conventions. The US cant pass a stupid law to make it legal. The law they have reguarding "enemy Combatents" is illegal under International law.

Therefore your president by wanting a torture law and having the "enemy combatent law" is a war criminal and guilty of committing crimes against humanity.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Saddam imprisoned children?

Children have been abused in Bush's rape rooms, too:

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/07/15/hersh_children_raped.html

Thursday, July 15, 2004
Hersh: children raped at Abu Ghraib, Pentagon has videos
From Daily Kos' partial transcript of a video (link to REAL stream) of Seymour Hersh speaking at an ACLU event. He says the US government has videotapes of children being raped at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
" Some of the worst things that happened you don't know about, okay? Videos, um, there are women there. Some of you may have read that they were passing letters out, communications out to their men. This is at Abu Ghraib ... The women were passing messages out saying 'Please come and kill me, because of what's happened' and basically what happened is that those women who were arrested with young boys, children in cases that have been recorded. The boys were sodomized with the cameras rolling. And the worst above all of that is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking that your government has. They are in total terror. It's going to come out."
Link (via Warren). There's also a piece worth reading in this week's Newsweek about new allegations of rape and sexual torture at Abu Ghraib. Feature includes details on the identities of the Iraqi prisoners shown in those widely-circulated photographs -- including Satar Jabar (charged with carjacking, not terrorism), whose iconic hooded figure with wires attached is derisively described by many Iraqis as the "Statue of Liberty." Link
Update: Geraldine Sealey at Salon on Hersh's remarks:

After Donald Rumsfeld testified on the Hill about Abu Ghraib in May, there was talk of more photos and video in the Pentagon's custody more horrific than anything made public so far. "If these are released to the public, obviously it's going to make matters worse," Rumsfeld said. Since then, the Washington Post has disclosed some new details and images of abuse at the prison. But if Seymour Hersh is right, it all gets much worse. (...)
Notes from a similar speech Hersh gave in Chicago in June were posted on Brad DeLong's blog. Rick Pearlstein, who watched the speech, wrote: "[Hersh] said that after he broke Abu Ghraib people are coming out of the woodwork to tell him this stuff. He said he had seen all the Abu Ghraib pictures. He said, 'You haven't begun to see evil...' then trailed off. He said, 'horrible things done to children of women prisoners, as the cameras run.' He looked frightened."

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
You torture prisoners as a matter of course, Nero. It has been documented time and again. That's why your president doesn't want a law against torture.

Of course they do. Not only that ......it does not really bother the population all that much. Something about the dirty Harry mentality .....

....if Saddam was able to bribe countries to vote and lift the ban then it would of been worse for the people....thus this way the USA, Britan and coalition troops can overthrow Saddam, and attempt to create a democracy...rather than wait for Saddam to bribe his way out of sanctions..... this is about whats best for Iraq and it's people in the long run (democracy), and whats best for the world in the long run (getting rid of a violent dictator).

ya know.......that is just blowing smoke.... and even you must know that by now.

What the world needs desperately at the moment is to get rid of a violence prone, dictator wannabee in the fecking u.s. Unfortunately IMPOSED regime changes are illegal and unethical......and even if the US barges ahead like an ignoramous it is.........the rest of the world is maintaining a modicum of legality.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
GL Schmitt's post was excellent, analyzing the problems of torture. I suspect that even if those terrorists in the nuclear material trade are caught, still the method of extracting info may not involve torture.

I have been really turned around on this issue.