Nation-Wide Women's Strike!

HTO

Sep 9, 2004
Ottawa
www.iglootalk.com
This is quite incredible- I've never heard of a whole nation of women going on strike before.

SIKU CIRCUMPOLAR NEWS SERVICE
ICELANDIC WOMEN STRIKE
[23.10.05 22:25]

On Monday, Icelandic women plan to go off the job at 2:08 p.m. to protest the continuing lack of pay equity in Iceland. That's when they would stop work if they were being paid as much as Icelandic men for the same job.

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND: On Monday, at 2:08 p.m. local time, tens of thousands of Icelandic women will go on strike and take to the streets of Reykjavik and across the country to protest the differences in wages between men and women.
Women will march down the streets of Reykjavík under the slogan "Women, let's be loud". Women are encouraged to bring kitchen utensils to the march, including pots and iron spoons, to make noise. The idea behind the march is that women have been quiet long enough, and it's now time for them to make some noise - "demand equality now".

The starting time for the strike is being called at that moment because that's when 64.15 per cent of the workday will be over. This percentage is also reflects the lower average income for women in Iceland.

Thirty years ago, Icelandic women staged a similar protest which drew Iceland to a standstill. The organizers are hoping for a similar result with Monday's action.

The goal of this year's Woman's Day is the same as it was 30 years ago, show the value of the contribution of women to for the Icelandic economy. According to the web site Visir, nowhere in the world do women participate in the economy as much as in Iceland.

from www.feministinn.is/kvennafri.htm

Women are striking...

Because...

women's salary in Iceland is only 64. 15 per cent of men's on average... women gets only 72 per cent a man would get for working the same number of hours... having children has negative effect on women's salary, but positive effect on men’s... many women live in fear and insecurity in their own homes... one out of three women becomes victim of gender related violence in her lifetime... women do not get credit due for their education... women in business do not have equal access to finance as men... responsibility for upbringing of children and domestic work is still largely on women’s shoulders... women’s voice is still not loud enough in media... women’s body is considered merchandise... woman has never been a prime minister, bank manager or bishop... women have never occupied half the seats in Parliament... women are not equal to men... this has to be changed. I dare, I can, I will do it!

WOMEN, LET’S STAND TOGETHER

SIKU

WOW!

Imagine if that happened in Canada or the USA? The impact it would have on equalitiy issues.

(Edited to change the title and enhance the scope of the stirke). I find it just amazing that the women were able to organize nationally.

Don't you?