Powell Calls His UN Speech a Lasting Blot on His Record

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I take it Powell's main concern in all this is the "blot on his record". I give him no credit for coming out and saying this; it's not like the whole world doesn't already know it was lies. Plenty of talk about "some people in the intelligence community who knew at that time that some of these sources ... shouldn't be relied upon", but no names and no real regrets about the war he helped to instigate, and it's aftermath.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
He was the unforunate sacrificial lamb on that front. He was the only one with the credibility to sell the Iraq idea to both sides. I guess its too bad his actions and his inability to question the credibility of the sources, their relevance, and their recentness, has caused thousands their lives.

Ah well, Mr. Powel guess what? You went from being a great American (and possible president), to being just another small blot in American History. Too bad

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Powell Calls His UN S

He should have resigned just before the speech and given a press conference saying why. It would have cost Georgie support and gotten the American people onside with the rest of the world. His failure to do that shows a lack of integrity. He deserves the blot on his record.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Colin Powell should take the heat for not being more vigorous in his skepticism, but I still like this man, powerful enough to admit a wrong, intelligent enough to know that a simplistic view of this war in Iraq is an even more stupid action trumping any other.

Nothing is as simple as the righteous.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Well, at least now we know why Powell wasn’t put in charge, when he was suggested a few days back, while everybody was screaming for Michael D. Brown’s replacement as leader of the US/g response to Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath?

no1important said:
. . . the truth is in Politics ethics go out the window . . .

Powell’s problem was that he was thrust into a unique position — that of being the only man of principle ( I assume principle based upon Powell’s record) who could possibly stop a group of vicious and powerful men from committing a terrible crime.

In the balance was the possible destruction of Powell’s lifelong career, as well as that of his son, and God alone knows what other penalties the opposition may have been able to inflict. (Recall the despicable things visited by NeoCon’s upon others who have thwarted their will in the smallest matters.)

It was a situation which required unprecedented heroism and true patriotism from a man who has demonstrated these values many times in the past, but in this instance, was not up to for the challenge.

Powell has stained his escutcheon in such a fashion as to forever cheapen his life’s achievements.

While offering no apologies for that misadventure, I am compelled to feel sorrow for the near-mythic proportions of his tragedy.

Searching for a lighter note, one cannot help wondering, when thoroughly investigated, if it can be discovered from the Arabian Horse Association, whether or not those Arabian horses are Islamic?