Canada sending four ships to Louisiana

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Ottawa is sending three Canadian warships and a coast guard vessel

What do you guys think? I am surprised "W" is allowing this, but I guess he has to put his "pride" aside for a change.

Defence Minister Bill Graham has announced that Ottawa is sending three Canadian warships and a coast guard vessel packed with relief supplies to the hurricane-ravaged U.S. Gulf Coast.

Graham said the destroyer, HMCS Athabaskan, and two frigates, HMCS Ville de Quebec and HMCS Toronto, are being readied for deployment and should leave Halifax in three or four days. They will be accompanied by the CCGS Sir William Alexander.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
As I understand it, we are sending these ships whether or not we've been asked...which means we haven't...

So still the ships could arrive off the coast of New Orleans and then be told that they don't need our help, and be asked to leave...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think it's a joke.

I don't say we shouldn't help but for every single ship Canada sends, the U.S. has a couple thousand. I would provide the help, in the way of requested food and medicine at the border. Our four ships will likely be among four hundred or more U.S. ships. Their biggest problem will be staying out of the way. The U.S. doesn't need our ships, they probably don't need our food, and most certainly don't need our military people.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

I don't say we shouldn't help but for every single ship Canada sends, the U.S. has a couple thousand. I would provide the help, in the way of requested food and medicine at the border. Our four ships will likely be among four hundred or more U.S. ships. Their biggest problem will be staying out of the way. The U.S. doesn't need our ships, they probably don't need our food, and most certainly don't need our military people.

It just might be a "gesture" .....and a political statement too. Martin is quite careful to say.....that "we" will not interfere with their efforts or get in the way. Don't see any harm in making the supplies available. If they are not needed , not a biggie. The message might be larger than just the "assistance"...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ocean Breeze wrote:

It just might be a "gesture" .....and a political statement too. Martin is quite careful to say.....that "we" will not interfere with their efforts or get in the way. Don't see any harm in making the supplies available. If they are not needed , not a biggie. The message might be larger than just the "assistance"...

Yes, it would be a gesture that people will look back on as well as a political statement that might not hurt us in view of some of the trade disputes that we have simmering at the back of the stove right now. It bugs me a lot that it is about half our navy. I'm probably showing my age but I remember when we had a respectable military

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
#juan said:
Ocean Breeze wrote:

Yes, it would be a gesture that people will look back on as well as a political statement that might not hurt us in view of some of the trade disputes that we have simmering at the back of the stove right now. It bugs me a lot that it is about half our navy. I'm probably showing my age but I remember when we had a respectable military

hmm. Personally I would like to see CA get away from a traditional military buildup ......and channel the focus into Peacekeeping troops , equipment, skills, etc. would be nice to have an extensive peacekeeping force.(including highly skilled/efficient search/rescue operations , mobile medic units ).....that is mobile and can be sent at any time to anywhere there is a trouble spot. ... /and if requested. It is bloody time that civilization got out of the WAR making mode.......(which implies need for defensive military to protect oneself from Invaders.........such as the US ) away from the gun mentality and into a more peace driven world. It has to start somewhere and why not with us.??? Might even be wise to remain politically neutral as possible .......diplomacy and negotiation being the interacting tools. Somehow, "we" the world must diffuse the rage, warmongering that has been going on and the best way is NOT to fuel it. "we" must learn from the multitude of errors the US has made and continues to make. We must not follow/copy them.......as they are too aggressive and love war too much. " We" must be more mature and wise.

(just my own humble opinion on that one)

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
What I got from the briefing which aired yesterday on CPAC, was that they are loading now so that if/when asked, there would not be any long delay for loading.

Dunno, but perhaps they are merely trying to avoid the criticism that they took during the Tsunami Relief mission of — was it the (SAR) Search And Rescue (wish they’d find a new designator) Team — over how long it took Ottawa to put them in place. You think?

I didn’t get the impression that they would beetle off without an invite.

That could get dangerous! Some battlewagon buckaroo might board them and demand to see their passport, or some equivalent "secure document" to enter US waters.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
GL Schmitt said:
What I got from the briefing which aired yesterday on CPAC, was that they are loading now so that if/when asked, there would not be any long delay for loading.

Dunno, but perhaps they are merely trying to avoid the criticism that they took during the Tsunami Relief mission of — was it the (SAR) Search And Rescue (wish they’d find a new designator) Team — over how long it took Ottawa to put them in place. You think?

I didn’t get the impression that they would beetle off without an invite.

That could get dangerous! Some battlewagon buckaroo might board them and demand to see their passport, or some equivalent "secure document" to enter US waters.

that is essentially what I interpreted from the "Message". ..too.

.........and Martin did obliquely refer to the "security " issues ......when dealing with the US now. Some of these "security" measures are backfiring against the US. and isolating the US even more now.

Walrus

Nominee Member
Mar 20, 2005
Victoria
Our response is actually larger than that but most of it doesn't make the headlines. If you can find General Hillier's remarks from earlier this week you will also find that we are sending divers from both coasts and the HMCS Preserver is also getting readied in Halifax. I know from my own contacts of far more preparations in the military than the news gives out.

In response to #jaun, it is a far better response than our response to the Boxing Day Tsunami and hardly a "joke" in terms of a response since the men and the ships are ready and willing to go - but it is far more a gesture since the Americans will most likely refuse any help from our military just out of principle and their own stubborn pride - sort of reminds me of the Russians refusing help to save the sailors on the Kursk. It's also kind of ironic that our military is quicker on the ball to help the survivors of Katrina than their own government is.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

I am in Louisiana right nowe and we are taking all the help you can send! BTW-Lumber will be needed in great supply!

Thank you Canada from an Acadien Family.

Deported in 1755 to make way in Nova Scotia,
Fighting Katrina in 2005 to stay in Louisiana.

Martin

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Walrus said:
Our response is actually larger than that but most of it doesn't make the headlines. If you can find General Hillier's remarks from earlier this week you will also find that we are sending divers from both coasts and the HMCS Preserver is also getting readied in Halifax. I know from my own contacts of far more preparations in the military than the news gives out.

In response to #jaun, it is a far better response than our response to the Boxing Day Tsunami and hardly a "joke" in terms of a response since the men and the ships are ready and willing to go - but it is far more a gesture since the Americans will most likely refuse any help from our military just out of principle and their own stubborn pride - sort of reminds me of the Russians refusing help to save the sailors on the Kursk. It's also kind of ironic that our military is quicker on the ball to help the survivors of Katrina than their own government is.

Strange as it might seem, New Orleans was founded by the "French-Canadians" as an Outpost on the Mississippi near the Gulf of Mexico and now the Canadians are coming to save US.

BTW-How does one become a Province?

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Martin Le Acadien said:
. . . BTW-How does one become a Province?
Step One is to secede from the Union.

I must warn you that this has been tried before, with less than banner success. :roll:

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
GL Schmitt said:
Martin Le Acadien said:
. . . BTW-How does one become a Province?
Step One is to secede from the Union.

I must warn you that this has been tried before, with less than banner success. :roll:

A week ago we were not getting too much help from them, did not realize we were a "State". 8O

That minor incident of which you refer occured before the UN rule on Self Determination and Pleblecites. Getting 10 Louisianais(e) to vote for current power boyz and girlz wil be a miracle, now where was that application to join the dominion, anyway!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Martin Le Acadien said:
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

I am in Louisiana right nowe and we are taking all the help you can send! BTW-Lumber will be needed in great supply!

Martin
Where are you in LA?

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Said1 said:
Martin Le Acadien said:
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

Martin
Where are you in LA?

Galliano, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, 45 airmiles (70KMS) SW of New Orleans. Just back yesterday! Had roof damage and trees down!

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Said1 said:
Martin Le Acadien said:
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

Martin
Where are you in LA?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Martin Le Acadien said:
Said1 said:
Martin Le Acadien said:
#juan said:
I think it's a joke.

Martin
Where are you in LA?

Galliano, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, 45 airmiles (70KMS) SW of New Orleans. Just back yesterday! Had roof damage and trees down!

I just pmed you, check your pm box if you don't mind. :)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now