There's no reason to own a gun in Toronto

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto Mayor: No Reason to Have Guns at Home

National Post/James Cowan | August 17 2005

Gun owners in Toronto may soon be prohibited from keeping their firearms at home even if they are properly licensed and registered, Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

"There's no reason to own a gun in Toronto -- collector or not. If you are a collector and you have a permit, the guns need to be stored in a way that they can't be stolen. And perhaps a centralized facility of some kind could accomplish that goal," Mr. Miller told the National Post. "The law requires gun owners to have proper storage, but obviously not everyone adheres to that."

Following a spate of shootings in Toronto, the Mayor has asked city lawyers and the police to determine whether the municipality has the "legal ability" to require individuals to store their weapons at a secure facility such as a gun club.

"It's a very serious issue and I don't have all the answers to it, but I've spoken to the [Police] Chief as well as our own legal department to see what we can do," Mr. Miller said.

The Mayor has repeatedly blamed lax gun laws in the United States for some of Toronto's violence, saying half of the firearms in the city originated in the United States.

While pressing the federal government to stem the smuggling of guns across the border, Mr. Miller said steps must also be taken steps to address domestic gun problems.

"I understand there was one theft from a collector two years ago, where some of the guns were recovered after being used in murders in Toronto," he said.

Police have also speculated a theft in June of 46 handguns, along with three rifles and ammunition, from a collector in Port Hope, 100 kilometres east of the city, has contributed to the recent increase in shootings.

Mr. Miller noted several U.S. cities such as Chicago have passed ordinances restricting handgun ownership. But legal gun owners argue the new rules would only make life simpler for criminals.

"It would just put all the firearms in one place so they could all be stolen at one time," said Eric Greer of the Ontario Arms Collectors Association. "That would be a wonderful thing."

Mr. Greer added the Mayor's proposal would not prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, noting Canada enacted its first handgun registry in 1934.

"It hasn't made one iota of difference. And the reason is the people that registered their handguns don't commit the crimes. The people who commit crimes don't register their guns. It's as simple as that," he said.

Other gun owners said they are tired of being conflated with murderers and thieves.

"There are legal gun owners all over Ontario who don't go around brandishing their guns, who go through the whole rigamarole to get licensed properly," said Bill, a member of the Maple Leaf Revolver Club, who asked his last name not be used citing safety concerns. "The Mayor's not thinking properly."

He added most gun owners would support tough sentences for individuals caught using firearms to commit a crime.

"At most of the clubs, you will hear people say, 'Arrest the guy, look at the law and if the law says to throw him away for five years or 10 years, do it,' " the gun owner said.

Mr. Miller agreed the courts must be more stringent, noting individuals caught with weapons currently are routinely released on bail.

"If somebody has a gun, that's illegal, whether or not they've shot it should be irrelevant. They should be treated like they've shot it and tried to kill somebody," he said. "So when they come to court, they shouldn't get out. They should be kept in court until they're tried."

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
The next step in the confiscation C-68 fiasco. All the guns in one place makes it easy to confiscate them all, in addition to making it easy for the bad guys to get them. Seig Heil.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
RE: There's no reason to

The majority of guns used in robberies and shootings are NOT legally registered...many are illegally imported into Canada.
Mayor Miller is trying to score political points.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Way to go Mr. Mayor. Looks like Toronto is well on it's way into becoming a police state!!! From now on only the police and the criminals will have guns.

Why would anyone want to give an edge to the criminal? I just cannot understand why any rational person cannot figure this out??? By removing gun ownership from private citizens, we are left with a situation where only the police and criminals will have guns. This will give an enormous advantage to the criminal since they will not meet resistance with anyone but the police. It will also place more of a burden on the police. Criminals with guns will know that Toronto is the place to be and they will start coming out of the woodworks. Armed home invasions/burglaries will drastically increase ... mark my words.

Also, what is the mayor going to do with those such as myself who take their handguns to the shooting range? He cannot ask all citizens that they will need to give up their hobby or that they will need to rent guns at the shooting range instead. He would need to reimburse them the cost of having to rent a gun everytime they go, not to mention reimbursing everyone for getting rid of their guns. No one gives up anything for free!

Also, if someone at his home is shot dead by an intruder because he was not able to defend himself since he had to give up his guns, the mayor will be held personally responsible. The blood will be on his hands.

This will not pass. I guarantee it. It is too ridiculous. It would be too costly to reimburse all the gun owners plus the court challenges. Even considering such a drastic action is pointless.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The city of Toronto, despite its attempt to be the centre of the world, has no possible athority in this area, so it's just an impotent mayor trying to sound like he's doing something. If he had even the slightest hint of a brain, he would know just how stupid he's being.

But, since he's a mayor, of Toronto, that would be way too much to ask.

What a f88kup.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: There's no reason to own a gun in Toronto

TenPenny said:
The city of Toronto, despite its attempt to be the centre of the world, has no possible athority in this area, so it's just an impotent mayor trying to sound like he's doing something. If he had even the slightest hint of a brain, he would know just how stupid he's being.

But, since he's a mayor, of Toronto, that would be way too much to ask.

What a f88kup.

Absolutely agree TenPenny. No argument here.

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
"The Mayor has repeatedly blamed lax gun laws in the United States for some of Toronto's violence, saying half of the firearms in the city originated in the United States."

Bad guys will smuggle in the guns and then volutarily take them down to the lockup...get a claims ticket and then check the guns out when they want to rob a convenience store....and then check the guns back into storage.

Makes sense to me. How about you, Moe? What do you and Curly think.

Sure thing, Larry.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
I whole hardily agree that Mayor Miller is not thinking intelligently when it comes to addressing gun control. Short term thinking to long term and growing problems are only smoke screens set up to make the frightened citizens of Toronto sleep a little better at night. WHen in fact they are a waste of time, money, and oxygen for the words that they were used.

What the mayor must focus on is the way these guns are being used. Lately many shooting victims have been shot in the streets for relatively no reason (Not a home invasion or stick up). We all know where this is going, so why dont politicians know that its gang related. So why are gangs killing people? Drugs are the usual suspect, yes the market is growing in the impoverished sectors of the city and like all cities that have or are faced with a rise in drugs face a rise in criminal organization.

So I say to the Mayor of Toronto and his chief of police, if you have any plans to stem this tide of gun murders you should focus on their reasons. Drugs are probably a major one of them, lets hear your plans on how to deal with that.

~J

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
So we all agree that this is just one one of the most stupid things we have ever heard?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Toronto should take a lesson from Mexico in this. In Mexico, private citizens generally cannot own firearms. If I drive my pickup across the Mexican border and have as much as one round of ammunition in my truck, even with no gun, I could get arrested.

Look at what is happening in Mexico now. There are a rash of kiddnappings in Mexico City. The criminals know that the only armed resistance they will meet is from the police. As a result, the police are having a hard time apprehending these individuals.

It is a really bad situation there.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Nascar_James said:
Toronto should take a lesson from Mexico in this. In Mexico, private citizens generally cannot own firearms. If I drive my pickup across the Mexican border and have as much as one round of ammunition in my truck, even with no gun, I could get arrested.

Look at what is happening in Mexico now. There are a rash of kiddnappings in Mexico City. The criminals know that the only armed resistance they will meet is from the police. As a result, the police are having a hard time apprehending these individuals.

It is a really bad situation there.

...In other words arm ALL OF THEM and then see what side they pick?

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
It's easy to stop this gun violence, drastically reduce crime overall, cut the number of police officers and save $$ billions at the same time: legalize. Until we do that there will always be turf wars, and innocent people getting caught in the crossfire.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

MMMike said:
It's easy to stop this gun violence, drastically reduce crime overall, cut the number of police officers and save $$ billions at the same time: legalize. Until we do that there will always be turf wars, and innocent people getting caught in the crossfire.

Eh? I'm not too sure I understand.

-Fewer police
-Let everyone arm themselves

That may work If everyone works together for the greater good, however reality dictates that most people don't care much beyond immediate family and very close friends.

Letting everyone arm themselves and reduce the police would essentially turn this country into many armed factions with different sets of laws wherever you go. Vigilanitism would run rampant and there would be more than just turf wars to deal with.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Jo Canadian said:
MMMike said:

-Fewer police

That may work If everyone works together for the greater good, however reality dictates that most people don't care much beyond immediate family and very close friends.

Letting everyone arm themselves and reduce the police would essentially turn this country into many armed factions with different sets of laws wherever you go. Vigilanitism would run rampant and there would be more than just turf wars to deal with.

Sure. However, the law abiders would drastically outnumber the criminals, giving us an edge over them. The key issue here is to discourage criminal activity in any way. By arming citizens, criminals will not be as free to commit their criminal activites.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: There's no reason to

Was it Hemmingway that said "sanction murder 1 day a year and everybody will be a lot friendly and nicer"?

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005

Nascar_James said:
Jo Canadian said:
MMMike said:

-Fewer police

Sure. However, the law abiders would drastically outnumber the criminals, giving us an edge over them. The key issue here is to discourage criminal activity in any way. By arming citizens, criminals will not be as free to commit their criminal activites.

Execpt that your twice as likely to be killed by a criminal with a gun if you yourself are carrying.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Tresson said:
Nascar_James said:
Jo Canadian said:
MMMike said:

-Fewer police

Execpt that your twice as likely to be killed by a criminal with a gun if you yourself are carrying.

Why would that be? Criminals would get discouraged knowing that if they pull out a firearm for criminal intent, another citizen who is also packing is likley to shoot. So long criminal!

More criminals would be put out of their misery this way. I head to the shooting range at least every other week-end and I guarantee that if someone fired a shot my way and missed, I would surely hit my target when I return fire. However, if I am hit and neutralized, then I agree the criminal would win in this case. However, how many criminals do you know who actually head to the shooting range to practice their marksmanship. Not many. Plus, some of them fire their weapons sideways. There is no way in hell you could aim properly that way. I've tried it and it's just ridiculous!

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005

Nascar_James said:
Tresson said:
Nascar_James said:
Jo Canadian said:
MMMike said:

-Fewer police

Why would that be? Criminals would get discouraged knowing that if they pull out a firearm for criminal intent, another citizen who is also packing is likley to shoot. So long criminal!

More criminals would be put out of their misery this way. I head to the shooting range at least every other week-end and I guarantee that if someone fired a shot my way and missed, I would surely hit my target when I return fire. However, if I am hit and neutralized, then I agree the criminal would win in this case. However, how many criminals do you know who actually head to the shooting range to practice their marksmanship. Not many. Plus, some of them fire their weapons sideways. There is no way in hell you could aim properly that way. I've tried it and it's just ridiculous!

While I fundamentally agree with you, Nascar, there is an issue which somewhat negates the arm everybody philosophy. The guns the criminals have generally tend to have more firepower than the average gun club guy. Having said that, however, a less powerful gun is still better than no gun at all.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Musicman said:
Nascar_James said:
Tresson said:
Nascar_James said:
Jo Canadian said:
MMMike said:

-Fewer police

While I fundamentally agree with you, Nascar, there is an issue which somewhat negates the arm everybody philosophy. The guns the criminals have generally tend to have more firepower than the average gun club guy. Having said that, however, a less powerful gun is still better than no gun at all.

I agree. The gang type criminals who target specific individuals, do indeed have powerful weapons (sometimes semi-automatic). However, the average criminal who simply robs a liquor store or a Circle-K, will usually only carry a small gun.