Patriot Act (US) -"permanant"

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Patriot Act (US) -"pe

Reverend Blair said:
it's kind of cool to watch a superpower become a failed state, isn't it?

Indeed. .......along with watching many not SEE what is happening in their own back yard. when their blinders come off.....watch the blame game begin..

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
it's kind of cool to watch a superpower become a failed state, isn't it?
'

Yes except we are at risk of being dragged down with them because our encominies are so intwined.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Reverend Blair said:
What's wrong, ITN? Seeing your rights taken away making you grumpy?

No, seeing what you think is a failed state makes me wonder of your intelligence level. It is rather funny though. Keep it up. :D

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
What's wrong, ITN? Seeing your rights taken away making you grumpy?

or maybe it is making him happy.( and cozy safe) Wonder if he feels "safer" now :?

Amazing the number of liberties a gov't can take under the guise of security.....particularly when said gov't fosters the conditions that require so much "security" now. The US(G) has been pissing the world off for some time now. result : a formation of extremist terrorist groups who are expressing their rage at the unfairness with with the USG treats the world /ME etc. Terrorist acts become the order of the day, and the US(G) blames the terrorists for being angry at the US(G) .....and its affiliates. Cycle of violence continues to perpetuate and neither party will distance themselves long enough to see how all this evolved. Just as one cannot (??) "negotiate" with the terrorists......one cannot negotiate with the USG. Both parties are headstrong and stubborn and carry the flag of PRIDE in their endeavors. Mind you , terrorism has become a "cover" for other agenda that the USG is pushing forward. In fact it offers them carte blanche. and grabbing more control and power is the theme of the day.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
How is "permanent" a part of this result?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4765076

Politics
House Passes USA Patriot Act Extension
by Larry Abramson

All Things Considered, July 21, 2005 · By a vote of 257-171, the House of Representatives votes to extend parts of the USA Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of 2005.

Critics say the bill does not include enough protections for civil liberties. But Republican leaders say the recent attacks in London prove the Patriot Act's importance.

The bill, sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), would make permanent 14 of the 16 expiring Patriot Act provisions. Two others would expire in 10 years: one provision dealing with business records and another allowing "roving" wiretaps.
************************************************************************************
If anyone can read "permanent" into this, they are having magical moments again.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
How is "permanent" a part of this result?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4765076

Politics
House Passes USA Patriot Act Extension
by Larry Abramson

All Things Considered, July 21, 2005 · By a vote of 257-171, the House of Representatives votes to extend parts of the USA Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of 2005.

Critics say the bill does not include enough protections for civil liberties. But Republican leaders say the recent attacks in London prove the Patriot Act's importance.

The bill, sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), would make permanent 14 of the 16 expiring Patriot Act provisions. Two others would expire in 10 years: one provision dealing with business records and another allowing "roving" wiretaps.
************************************************************************************
If anyone can read "permanent" into this, they are having magical moments again.

nothing is really "permanant". (nothing lasts forever). Heck ,even the constitution is not "permanant". Now, will it take on a life of its own and stay a protracted period of time.?......that is the question. Will be interesting to see the impact over a prolonged period of time.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ocean Breeze

My point exactly - a bit nit picky of me true!

Extension of soon to expire articles hardly means permanent however - and as you say nothing is permanent - even the Constitution if they wish to revise the 22nd Amendment to extend
the terms of office.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
Ocean Breeze

My point exactly - a bit nit picky of me true!

Extension of soon to expire articles hardly means permanent however - and as you say nothing is permanent - even the Constitution if they wish to amend the 22nd Article to extend
the terms of office.

hi WC. this is why I used quotation marks around the word "permanant" when I started this thread. :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
No, seeing what you think is a failed state makes me wonder of your intelligence level. It is rather funny though. Keep it up.

Hmmm...what makes up a failed state? Massive debt owed to foreign powers, deep political divisions, a lack of a free press, human rights abuses, repressive laws, the removal of rights, criminal behaviour by leaders, isolation from other other countries. Those lead to a failure of the economy and civil war.

You aren't too far away from those right now, ITN. You've got the massive debt; the deep political divisions; your mainstream press is controlled by seven corporations who refuse to report negative stories about your government; the repressive laws and removal of rights; your leaders are domestic and international criminals; and the policies of those leaders have caused you to become isolated from the rest of the world.

I never said the process was complete, but if you don't turn things around down there, things will fall apart.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
No, seeing what you think is a failed state makes me wonder of your intelligence level. It is rather funny though. Keep it up.

Hmmm...what makes up a failed state? Massive debt owed to foreign powers, deep political divisions, a lack of a free press, human rights abuses, repressive laws, the removal of rights, criminal behaviour by leaders, isolation from other other countries. Those lead to a failure of the economy and civil war.

You aren't too far away from those right now, ITN. You've got the massive debt; the deep political divisions; your mainstream press is controlled by seven corporations who refuse to report negative stories about your government; the repressive laws and removal of rights; your leaders are domestic and international criminals; and the policies of those leaders have caused you to become isolated from the rest of the world.

I never said the process was complete, but if you don't turn things around down there, things will fall apart.

Wouldn't you say Canada is in a similar situation?