Iran to maintain nuclear policy

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Iran's newly elected hardline President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has said his government will continue the country's nuclear programme.

He told his first news conference after his election that the nuclear programme was needed to meet Iran's energy needs.

The United States has accused Iran of using its atomic energy programme as a front to develop nuclear weapons.

Mr Ahmadinejad appeared to rule out improving ties with Washington, saying Iran did not really need the US.

'Peace and moderation'

The president-elect told reporters: "The peaceful nuclear technology has been the result of the scientific development of the young people of Iran.

The nuclear issue is a part of a macro policy, and our position will not change with the change of a president

"Iran has a right to achieve scientific development in all fields.

"We need the peaceful nuclear technology for energy, medical and agricultural purposes, and our scientific progress.

"We need it for the development of our country and we shall carry on with it."

Asked about talks between the European Union and Iran over its nuclear programme, he said: "With preserving national interests and by emphasising the right of the Iranian nation for using peaceful nuclear technology, we will continue the talks."

I hope that under Mr Ahmadinejad's presidency, Iran will take early steps to address international concerns about its nuclear programme

Mr Ahmadinejad also said his government would be one of "peace and moderation", and that "co-existence" would be a foreign policy priority.

And he defended the Iranian electoral system - heavily criticised by the US and others - which he said reflected the will of the Iranian people.

In response to a question about relations with Washington, saying the people of Iran had "no significant need" for ties with the US.

And he brushed aside questions on human rights in the Islamic republic, accusing European nations of suppressing religious rights and "other countries" of seeking "world domination".

Conservatives in control

Israel has become the latest country to express concern over the ultra-conservative mayor of Tehran's election as president.

Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres called it "a contest between extremists".

Israel views Iran as its biggest threat, says the BBC's Matthew Price in Jerusalem. Iran disputes the Jewish state's right to exist and when Israel lobbies foreign governments, it is Iran's nuclear programme which tops the agenda rather than other issues closer to home, our correspondent says.

The result of the elections means conservatives are now in control of every elected and unelected institution of government in Iran.

Mr Ahmadinejad, 49, won 62% of the vote in Friday's presidential run-off poll.

He will be Iran's first non-cleric president for 24 years when he takes office in August.

--BBC News

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Iran to maintain nucl

I think that Iran election was rigged. With the highest amount of young people per capita in the world under 30 the results made no sense at all. When they say results were a shock, thats an understatement.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
RE: Iran to maintain nucl

Frankly,if I was Irani,I'd want to maintain the nuclear programme.
It's neighbours(India,Pakistan and Israel) all have nuclear capability....and none of those countries have signed on to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty. They're surrounded by nuclear capability....and their oil resrves will not last forever.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Iran to maintain nucl

annabattler said:
It's neighbours(India,Pakistan and Israel) all have nuclear capability....and none of those countries have signed on to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty. They're surrounded by nuclear capability....and their oil resrves will not last forever.

so would I...... and considering the fact that the US(G) is a big threat to them. ......they too must have a defense system. Having a nuclear capability could be a deterent to a US invasion (for one thing)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
annabattler said:

so would I...... and considering the fact that the US(G) is a big threat to them. ......they too must have a defense system. Having a nuclear capability could be a deterent to a US invasion (for one thing)

Iran seemed to be quite the threat to Zahra Kazemi also. The only reason why Iran wants nuclear arms is to attack Israel, settle the muslim score so to speak.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
annabattler said:

Iran seemed to be quite the threat to Zahra Kazemi also. The only reason why Iran wants nuclear arms is to attack Israel, settle the muslim score so to speak.

hi ITN: is that their REAL motive??? So hard to assess motives these days...

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Ocean Breeze said:
I think not said:
Ocean Breeze said:
annabattler said:

hi ITN: is that their REAL motive??? So hard to assess motives these days...

Hi OB, hope you're having a fine day today on the West Coast. When you have nuclear weapons the likelihood of using them is great, either by accident or intentional. Will they use it? Whats their motive? I can;t say for sure, but it makes me think about whether or not they will when I read opinions such as this.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Hi OB, hope you're having a fine day today on the West Coast. When you have nuclear weapons the likelihood of using them is great, either by accident or intentional. Will they use it? Whats their motive? I can;t say for sure, but it makes me think about whether or not they will when I read opinions such as this.

Having a great day here. How is your New York day?? :wink: One of these years should travel there.......but not until the "dust settles" a little :wink: Would love to find out if the "Image" is close to the reality :wink:

agree, ANY nation that has this kind of weaponry.....can use them or abuse them. But the verbal "threats" (posturing)or insinuations/ presence of such weaponry is one thing........ actually engaging them is such a somber decision........as the repercussions are just too great. Seems every leader knows this.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Iran wants nuclear tech just because it wants to attack Israel?

Don't see why. The Jerusalem Post believes it but nobody else does.

Iran is more interested in stopping the terrorist MeK gang and in distributing oil wealth to the general populace in compliance with Koranic law.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
gopher said:
Iran wants nuclear tech just because it wants to attack Israel?

Don't see why. The Jerusalem Post believes it but nobody else does.

Iran is more interested in stopping the terrorist MeK gang and in distributing oil wealth to the general populace in compliance with Koranic law.

that makes more sense.

( welcome aboard :) , gopher. see you are new here. Like your sig.

<ocean breeze> :wink:

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Let's start banning these nuclear arms from Israel first. Why isn't the US worried about Israel having over 200 warheads of nuclear weapons.

The countries of the ME are fed up by the double standard we are following. Israel can have these weapons, can occupy a land, torture its citizens, does not obey any UN resolutions while others can't even mention the word nuclear.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Let's start banning these nuclear arms from Israel first. Why isn't the US worried about Israel having over 200 warheads of nuclear weapons.

The countries of the ME are fed up by the double standard we are following. Israel can have these weapons, can occupy a land, torture its citizens, does not obey any UN resolutions while others can't even mention the word nuclear.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Israel and the US have a symbiotic relationship. Both countries pretty much do as they please and dictate otherwise.

Until the US gets rid of its nuclear weapons......not sure anyone will be willing to pay attention to their demands.

the US likes to "argue" that such capability in the "wrong hands" is their concern. But they fail to look at themselves. If the USG gets anymore fanatical.......?????? and let's not forget who actually used them.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
Israel and the US have a symbiotic relationship. Both countries pretty much do as they please and dictate otherwise.

Until the US gets rid of its nuclear weapons......not sure anyone will be willing to pay attention to their demands.

the US likes to "argue" that such capability in the "wrong hands" is their concern. But they fail to look at themselves. If the USG gets anymore fanatical.......?????? and let's not forget who actually used them.

You point to Israel and the US, but there are other countries who have nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons in the wrong hands is everyones concern, not only the US. The EU has made efforts to keep Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

Here's an out-of-the-box scenario. Having Iran and Israel in such close proximity with both having no great love for each other, is inherently dangerous. :idea:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Iran to maintain nuclear policy

moghrabi said:
Then remove the damn thing from Israeli hands.

If it was up to me I would remove them from everyones hands. And don't think for a moment anyone controls Israel, they have a mind of their own.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Nukes actually prevent wars if you ask me...the cold war could have been hot.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Iran to maintain nuclear policy

I think not said:
moghrabi said:
Then remove the damn thing from Israeli hands.

If it was up to me I would remove them from everyones hands. And don't think for a moment anyone controls Israel, they have a mind of their own.

Yes they do have a mind of their own. this is exactly the problem in the ME. Why isn't the US all over Israel for not obeying UN resolutions, for occupying other peoples land, for having nuclear weapons.

If your government plays even handed in te ME, then the whole place will be different.