Quotes and Wisdoms

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
... No "terrorist" gene is known to exist or is likely to be found... Surely the(y), and their supporters were afflicted by something that caused their metamorphosis from normal human beings capable of gentleness and affection into desperate, maddened, fiends with nothing but murder in their hearts and minds. What was that? Simple logic says that we must go to the roots of terror. Only a fool can believe that the services of a suicidal terrorist can be purchased, or that they can be bred at will anywhere: Ouch Borith: Permanent Representative Of The Kingdom Of Cambodia To The UN: 10/03/2001

=

"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.": Thich Nhat Hanh - Vietnamese monk, activist and writer.

=

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

===
:study:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Democrazies

by Butler Shaffer

Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by
Jackasses.

~ H.L. Mencken

:scratch:

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from the government."

--Thomas Paine 'The Rights of Man' c.1792

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men: Plato

=

Morality is the best of all devices for leading mankind by the nose: Friedrich Nietzsche, The Antichrist

=

We Americans have no commission from God to police the world: Benjamin Harrison, address to Congress, 1888

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
According to other writers, it is the women who last longest in sieges, the young men who soonest fall into that deadly lethargy that precedes actual death. But the account is accurate enough: that is what a siege is like. Moreover, that is what it is meant to be like. When a city is encircled and deprived of food, it is not the expectation of the attackers that the garrison will hold out until individual soldiers... drop dead in the streets. The death of ordinary inhabitants of the city is expected to force the hand of the civilian or military leadership. The goal is surrender; the means is not the defeat of the enemy army, but the fearful spectacle of the civilian dead.

-Michael Walzer

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?
george carlin

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
War is rich old men protecting their property by sending middle class and lower class young men to die. It always has been. It's all about owning things.
George carlin 8)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If I ever went to war, instead of throwing a grenade, I would throw one of those small pumpkins. Than maybe my enemy would pick up the pumpkin and think about the futility of war. And that would give me the time I need to hit him with a real grenade.

Jack handey

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
War ... should only be declared by the authority of the people, whose toils and treasures are to support its burdens, instead of the government which is to reap its fruits. : James Madison (1751–1836)

=

War: first, one hopes to win; then one expects the enemy to lose; then, one is satisfied that he too is suffering; in the end, one is surprised that everyone has lost. : Karl Kraus (1874–1936)

=

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph: Haile Selassie

===

Is the world too complacent ?? in "allowing" the US to be doing what it is now???

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Ocean Breeze said:
War ... should only be declared by the authority of the people, whose toils and treasures are to support its burdens, instead of the government which is to reap its fruits. : James Madison (1751–1836)

Funny you should quote that.

Wasn’t Madison the first Warhawk President?

Oh yes, and wasn’t James Madison also the president who was upstaged by the bravery of his wife, when he skedaddled as soon as the British came a-calling, while his wife Dolley nearly got caught because she stayed long enough to save the Gilbert Stuart painting of George Washington, from the White House before it was burned?

Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

From his message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

=

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous: Carl Sagan

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.” ~ Robert E. Lee

Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.” ~ Norman Schwarzkopf

Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war.” ~ George S. Patton

I was provided with additional input that was radically different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version.” ~ Oliver North

There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry.” ~ George Armstrong Custer

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Quote:
”Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war.” ~ George S. Patton

:?: :?: :?: :roll: