Space Exploration Can Encourage World Cooperation

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
To further encourage world peace and cooperation, the space agencies of the world should announce a mission to Mars and a permanent lunar base. The cost is not that high. Martin Turner who is a British scientist, says in the book Expedition Mars, that it would cost about $70 billion. Spread over five years and at least thirty countries, this is reasonable. Most of the technology exists today, and much of it is decades old with many improvements since then.

The world would be galvanized, a great project like this would make many countries work together for a great goal. New technologies and jobs would be created the world over. Canada is a leader in space and beside a country that has put a man on the moon, we would be among some of the biggest beneficiaries of this.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
As much as I think space, physics and all that stuff is cool and fun. I wonder how far 70 billion would go towards homelessness? Of course this is assuming their not planning to put the homeless on mars…

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
dumpthemonarchy said:
To further encourage world peace and cooperation, the space agencies of the world should announce a mission to Mars and a permanent lunar base. The cost is not that high. Martin Turner who is a British scientist, says in the book Expedition Mars, that it would cost about $70 billion. Spread over five years and at least thirty countries, this is reasonable. Most of the technology exists today, and much of it is decades old with many improvements since then.

The world would be galvanized, a great project like this would make many countries work together for a great goal. New technologies and jobs would be created the world over. Canada is a leader in space and beside a country that has put a man on the moon, we would be among some of the biggest beneficiaries of this.

A country that put a man on the moon....?

Eeeeeeeee gads.... Don't say the United States!... BLASPHEMY!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
EagleSmack said:
dumpthemonarchy said:

The US never landed on the moon in 1969, it was filmed in a studio in Arizona, Eaglesmack. :roll: Take your head out of the sand.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The world uniting to explore space, colonize Mars?
Great thoughts.

Spend that same money instead to save the homeless?
Not that great an idea.

That is like your local educational system dedicated to ignore the talented in order to focus entirely on the special ed, shortbus group.

It's not an either-or situation. We must do some of both, and it is the mark of mature adults to know that you must achieve some balance and prioritize what you can do.

Life is full of the infinite and the finite limitations.

Every good cause cries not to be ignored, and they lobby those who will help and demonize those who are prioritizing another cause and not their own.

Truth is not the end game, but the process.

Truth is in the battle only, not in the outcome.

Let us reach for the stars while we try not to stand in quicksand, but let the adversaries fight each other for their cause and strike a balance that will always be imperfect.

Every nation's justice system is essentially adversarial in nature having a prosecutor and defender and therein we try to come close to the truth. The truth is only there in that battle, never in the outcome.

We have an array of rights that are not always consistent with another array of rights. The right to privacy battles with the public's right to know. We continually draw the lines in the sand.

The right of a good cause battles for the same resources another good cause needs.

Let us realize that morality sits not in a neat little box, ignoring the neighboring box.

And so let's reach for the final frontier, dragging along everybody at a varying rates of speed.

Toro

Senate Member
Re: RE: Space Exploration Can Encourage World Cooperation

jimmoyer said:
Truth is not the end game, but the process.

Truth is in the battle only, not in the outcome.

To me, thruth is not some vague foggy motion. Truth is what is real. And what is unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some things I can't remember, all roled into this one big "thing". This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
EagleSmack said:
dumpthemonarchy said:

The US never landed on the moon in 1969, it was filmed in a studio in Arizona, Eaglesmack. :roll: Take your head out of the sand.

Are you being serious ITN?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jay said:
I think not said:
EagleSmack said:
dumpthemonarchy said:

Are you being serious ITN?

When have I ever been serious about conspiracy theories?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Space Exploration Can

Have you seen the mocumentary "Dark Side of the Moon". It's brilliant.

I notice Eaglesmack took the time to hint, in his own tiny way, that the US should be involved. Since they've developed a reputation for not being able to maintain long-term international obligatons when it comes to space exploration, I don't think we should count on them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Space Exploration Can

Reverend Blair said:
Have you seen the mocumentary "Dark Side of the Moon". It's brilliant.

I notice Eaglesmack took the time to hint, in his own tiny way, that the US should be involved. Since they've developed a reputation for not being able to maintain long-term international obligatons when it comes to space exploration, I don't think we should count on them.

First off I wasn't hinting at anything. I was merely pointing that the man failed to type United States and refered to it as "some country that". I was having a little fun.

Second... you know, I know and the whole world knows that to get to Mars and the moon you NEED the USA. You need the money and you need the technology. Without the US... this doesn't go. DO you think the Russians are going to carry your load? China?

Once again you point out the US "obligations" (money) which I am sure counts for a heck of a lot more than Canada's "obligations". That is the way of the world... how to get in the pocket of the US Taxpayer.

Canada could not even put a man or woman into orbit nevermind going to Mars.

Has there ever been a Canadian in space?

You betcha.... all on US Space Shuttles launched from the good Ol USA.

Keep dreaming....

By the way? How is that Euro doing? LMAO

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Space Exploration Can

Reverend Blair said:
You know it's rude to jerk off in public right? Especially if you can't manage a proper woody.

I also think it is illegal.

I also think this is so far off topic and does not make sense... at all.

But leave it up so people can see.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yesterday I met a man who believes both the Russians and Chinese also put a man on the moon, and then another who believes the Americans did not land on the moon. There is a huge amount of ignorance out there.

Plenty of people know the Canadian astronauts Marc Garneau, Julie Payette, Chris Hadfield and Roberta Bondar, but they are holed up in an Ottawa or Montreal office and rarely get out among the public. To me this relates to the movie Apollo 13, where Tom Hanks became one of the most famous fake astronauts ever. He even addressed politicians in Washington DC to tell them how important NASA and the space program is. NASA was miffed that a "real" astronaut did not make this speech. Perception is reality today, we've got to see it and hear it on a regular basis, ie, them-the astronauts, to believe it, otherwise the public forgets.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Hmf, even if we did get enough co-operation to do a joint mission into space, we'd start bickering and fighting over important things that may be discovered, ie- minerals, metals, water, other new resources.

And as far as the states only being able to take loads out into space, I have a feeling that the space shuttle isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Aren't they having problems with the ageing fleet?

:) Mind you I like the idea of Joint cooperation though, 70 billion isn't very much when it's all combined from different sources. Don't we already allocate money for space already? Why not send it into a joint program like that, and that way we're not taking any more money from the poor.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Space Exploration Can

There will never be "real" joint ventures into Space as the US wants total control. Any joint ventures would have to be done without America. But with "W" and his "war on terror" countries are spending money on defence and weapons instead.......as "W" has caused a lot of instability in the world.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I read that $300 billion has been spent on Iraq, and one wonders for what. A lunar base and a mission to Mars are likely because the technology exists to do so. Political will across the world is another story.

Perhaps space tourism will change things, get the public up there peacefully and experience weightlessness. Seeing the earth as a ball hanging in space, the immense blackness of the universe. There is a positive future here that goes beyond science, politics, international relations and the military.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
dumpthemonarchy said:
I read that $300 billion has been spent on Iraq, and one wonders for what. A lunar base and a mission to Mars are likely because the technology exists to do so. Political will across the world is another story.

Perhaps space tourism will change things, get the public up there peacefully and experience weightlessness. Seeing the earth as a ball hanging in space, the immense blackness of the universe. There is a positive future here that goes beyond science, politics, international relations and the military.

We have a long way to go as humans unfortunetaly. Maybe in 100 years we'll be different

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I think not said:
dumpthemonarchy said:

We have a long way to go as humans unfortunetaly. Maybe in 100 years we'll be different

Make no mistake: 20 years after the first public shuttle to the moon, there will be malls there and tourist traps, and golf resorts and used condoms and hypodermical needles floating through the ether...

It will be even worse than it is here, because NO ONE ON EARTH will claim responsibility to keep it unsullied by corporatism or pollution...

Don't believe me? Look at all the crap they've dumped into space already in the name of exploration... 8O