Why Do They Hate Us So Much?

Toro

Senate Member
Why do some people hate America so much no matter what? Because every action of the US, no matter what the intention and no matter what circumstances, is always bad, even when the US can't really do anything about it. These are the "America-haters" where all the world's problems are the fault of the US.

Its fair to argue that America has been hypocritical throughout its history as it purports to be for freedom yet has supported brutal dictators. Thus most of the author's charges have at least some validity. But others do not:

Woodrow Wilson helped Britain and France redraw the European boundary lines in a way that guaranteed a century of wars and resentments — and that continued to trigger conflict in places like Bosnia and Kosovo as recently as the 1990s.

Sorry. War has been a constant throughout European history, no matter who drew the borders. The creation of Yugoslavia in 1919 occured so that the southern slavs could have a state of their own, outside the shackles of the empires who occupied them, from the Ottoman to the Austro-Hungarian. Blaming the US for the war in the Balkans today is like blaming the King of France (whose name I can't remember) who signed the treaty of 1763 handing over Quebec to Canada, for civil war if it breaks out 50 years from now.

Franklin Roosevelt — with the same "vision" as Woodrow Wilson, and with no more knowledge of history or foreign affairs than Wilson had — sacrificed the freedoms and independence of people in Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Albania, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and China — to satisfy his own ambition to be the world leader who would guarantee peace.

This is the silliest charge. The Red army occupied eastern Europe and was not going to budge. After being savaged by two world wars in thirty years which killed tens of millions of her countrymen, Russia was going to establish a buffer to prevent that from happening again. Does this mean that the writer suggests the US invade eastern Europe and war with the Russians? If they had, no doubt the writer would have used that as another example of why people hate the US.

Ronald Reagan sent Marines to Lebanon to butt into a civil war there,

Oh right. Quite the resolve America had in Lebanon, turning tale and leaving after 200+ of her citizens died. Real efficient army of occupation that was.

Bill Clinton ... sent American troops to intervene in civil wars in Bosnia and Kosovo,

How many American troops were there in Yugoslavia? Seriously, I don't know. I always thought the US fought from the air in the Kosovo war. In any case, there was zero benefit for US national interests to be involved there. It was a selfless act as it risked US lives in a part of the world for zero strategic benefit, and the Europeans were powerless to stop genocide on their own continent.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"Its fair to argue that America has been hypocritical "

No its not fair, its right on! funny thing, I go down to the neighbourhood deli...yummy stuff there, I have gotten to know a few people from Lebanon, canadian citizens now, they tell a different story from you toro, but what do they know....they only lived there... :p

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Something else thats kinda funny to...they are the most kind, loving people. Its a pleasure to know them and talk to them, but the mention of the USA, and they completely transform. Now that kind of hate comes from somewhere, and it does not come without a reason either...just my 00.2 cents.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
peapod said:
Something else thats kinda funny to...they are the most kind, loving people. Its a pleasure to know them and talk to them, but the mention of the USA, and they completely transform. Now that kind of hate comes from somewhere, and it does not come without a reason either...just my 00.2 cents.

I wonder why they don't have the same reaction when you mention Syria.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well I will invite them to the board int, maybe they will tell us. Interesting tho, the absolute seathing hate they have for america. Like I said that kind of hate does not drop out of the sky, oh maybe it does, wrong choice of words, startling tho the depth of the hate, and in all other regards kind, loving people. It does make you wonder...

Toro

Senate Member
I think not said:
peapod said:

Speaking of which

Journalist Who Criticized Syrian Presence Is Killed in Lebanon

By HASSAN M. FATTAH
Published: June 2, 2005

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, June 2 - An outspoken journalist known for his writings against Syria's presence in Lebanon was killed in a car bombing in Beirut today, raising tensions in Lebanon just four days after elections for a new Parliament began.

A journalist for Lebanon's top daily paper who had been a critic of Syria was killed in Beirut when a bomb destroyed his car.

Samir Kassir led a call for the resignation of Lebanon's pro-Syrian security chiefs.

The bomb was placed in a vehicle outside the home of the journalist, Samir Kassir, in the predominantly Christian district of Ashrafiya. Mr. Kassir's body lay slumped on one side after the blast as fire crews arrived on the scene, witnesses said. The blast shattered windows in the nearby area.

Peapod. Was the hostility because of America's troops in Lebanon or was it because of America's support of Israel? If I recall, I thought the Americans were invited in by the government of Lebanon to help stabilize a civil war. Clearly, somebody didn't want them there, otherwise the barricks wouldn't have been bombed. Do get them on the board. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. It would also be interesting to know what political party they supported in Lebanon.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
peapod said:

So you like Lebanese??????

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
moghrabi said:
peapod said:

Is that bad? Or is it a pickup line? :p

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Toro said:
I think not said:
peapod said:

Speaking of which

Journalist Who Criticized Syrian Presence Is Killed in Lebanon

By HASSAN M. FATTAH
Published: June 2, 2005

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, June 2 - An outspoken journalist known for his writings against Syria's presence in Lebanon was killed in a car bombing in Beirut today, raising tensions in Lebanon just four days after elections for a new Parliament began.

A journalist for Lebanon's top daily paper who had been a critic of Syria was killed in Beirut when a bomb destroyed his car.

Samir Kassir led a call for the resignation of Lebanon's pro-Syrian security chiefs.

The bomb was placed in a vehicle outside the home of the journalist, Samir Kassir, in the predominantly Christian district of Ashrafiya. Mr. Kassir's body lay slumped on one side after the blast as fire crews arrived on the scene, witnesses said. The blast shattered windows in the nearby area.

Peapod. Was the hostility because of America's troops in Lebanon or was it because of America's support of Israel? If I recall, I thought the Americans were invited in by the government of Lebanon to help stabilize a civil war. Clearly, somebody didn't want them there, otherwise the barricks wouldn't have been bombed. Do get them on the board. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. It would also be interesting to know what political party they supported in Lebanon.

Do you really and honestly think Syria is behind theses killings? I have no special love for Syria, but I doubt that they are that stupid.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I think not said:
moghrabi said:
peapod said:

I don't think having a Lebanese like me on this forum is that bad. But I was just asking peapod a question. I'll let her descide. Thanx ITN for your care and concern :wink:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
moghrabi said:
I think not said:
moghrabi said:
peapod said:

I don't think having a Lebanese like me on this forum is that bad. But I was just asking peapod a question. I'll let her descide. Thanx ITN for your care and concern :wink:

You're more than welcome mog :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Okay, harried as I was, going from one rabbit hole to the next, I did pop in and ask yasser your questions. He did not belong to any political party, he said they are all crooks. He was glad syria was out of Lebanon. He believes that the american secret agenda is I hope I got this right, like I say I was harried. Its 1559 un resolution
the disarment of hazboelleh, to gain a foothold in lebanon. Something like that...I only had a few minutes, I was late, late, for a very important date. I shall find out more.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
peapod said:
Okay, harried as I was, going from one rabbit hole to the next, I did pop in and ask yasser your questions. He did not belong to any political party, he said they are all crooks. He was glad syria was out of Lebanon. He believes that the american secret agenda is I hope I got this right, like I say I was harried. Its 1559 un resolution
the disarment of hazboelleh, to gain a foothold in lebanon. Something like that...I only had a few minutes, I was late, late, for a very important date. I shall find out more.

It is UN resolution 1559 that was setup by the US and France to have Syria withdraw its troops from Lebanon before the May 29th election. It also states that Hisbollah disarm and become a neutral political force.

I am also glad Syria is out but I want Israel to be out too. The killing that is occurring today is not made in Syria. Syria is out of Lebanon. Other countries (you can guess who) have a more advantage to having Lebanon live in turmoil.

Salaam to Yasser from me.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
http://www.bbcworld.com/content/template_clickpage.asp?pageid=2578&home=1

some insights into the angst the "America" has caused on this planet.

so many parrallels between the current US and the old Roman Empire attitude. Pride, arrogance , short sightedness.Lust for power and wealth, youth, beauty , loss of principles .yet lots of "ceremony" and "patriotism" and mostly, the "all about Me /US " thinking......like the rest of the planet is just chopped liver for the US to make into pate......devour at will.--using hi tech "gladiators". Oh those glory days........and how they do end. Nothing lasts forever.

seems that some serious self reflection/introspection is called for on the "America's " part now. As until it does , it might not comprehend the angst it creates, that results in the anger now.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
excerpt from link:''

"Nobody remembers General Noriega anymore. Why did the U.S. invade to get one man? Honduras was Reagan's base for the Contra war, a C.I.A. funded insurgency that led to the Iraq-Contra scandal. Today the country's trying to crush the street gangs, most of them deportees from the U.S.. Even a tattoo can land you in jail for years."

Hmm. Seems the US has a serious learning disability........as again we ask:

Why did the US invade to get one man??(leader ) .......Iraq.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
excerpt from link:''

"Nobody remembers General Noriega anymore. Why did the U.S. invade to get one man? Honduras was Reagan's base for the Contra war, a C.I.A. funded insurgency that led to the Iraq-Contra scandal. Today the country's trying to crush the street gangs, most of them deportees from the U.S.. Even a tattoo can land you in jail for years."

Hmm. Seems the US has a serious learning disability........as again we ask:

Why did the US invade to get one man??(leader ) .......Iraq.

You may want to let Amnesty International know about that tatoo. The only human rights violation they have cited is the trial of the Grenada 17.

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Size, and media.
Why don't we see hatred for the Rawanda Hootus, for the crimes they committed 10 years ago against the Tutsies (sorry spelling) or hatred for the Sudanese for what is going on now? Or hell what is going on still in Ireland.
Because they are small in comaprison, because they dont' have the media power to splatter it in EVEYONE's faces.
There is more of them to hate so it appears to be a more hated country.
And last because people like to generalize and say "I hate all americans" yeah as if you met them "all"
I hate what has happened in places like Rawanda, Sudan, Ireland, Iran etc, and I would be an ignorant sob to say I hate all those nations as a whole. And I think people have to grab brains and say more that they hate what they hate, the act of war, the policy against poverty etc, not the dam nation in general.
(gawd I sound like my mother)