Do The People Of Iraq Have A Right To Resist US Occupation?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Jack Smith

05/29/05 - - Do the people of Iraq have the right to defend themselves against violent foreign invasion and occupation by any means at their disposal against an aggressive and rapacious enemy enjoying overwhelming military superiority?

This is a right Americans unquestionably would invoke were their country invaded and occupied by a foreign power. They would take whatever measures were necessary to defeat the enemy and force it to withdraw.

The United States government supports this position and recognizes its validity in relation to all other nations invaded by foreign aggressors--except when it is Washington that initiates or supports the invasion of another sovereign state. By White House whim, the subject state loses its right to self-defense.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article8968.htm

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: Do The People Of Iraq Have A Right To Resist US Occupati

Vanni Fucci said:
Why would they be any different than another sovereign nation? Who would have the authority to deny them this fundamental right?

Then should we call the people fighting the US terrorists or Liberation Fighters as they call themselves?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Do The People Of Iraq

There not terrorists. Bushie just branded them that. The US invaded, so its no surprise some are fighting back. I would call them Liberation Fighters, myself, since there is no official Iraqi army since America invaded. If the US invaded Canada and I fought back, would I be branded a terrorist too? Bushie throws the terrorist word around too much...

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: Do The People Of Iraq Have A Right To Resist US Occupati

As a matter of fact, even if you disagree with the Bushies, you'll be labeled a terrorist.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

moghrabi said:
Vanni Fucci said:
Why would they be any different than another sovereign nation? Who would have the authority to deny them this fundamental right?

Then should we call the people fighting the US terrorists or Liberation Fighters as they call themselves?

I prefer the term rebel...and I've noticed in the last 6 months or so, that the "insurgents" are now being referred to as "rebels" in the media, after having started out as "terrorists"...I think that's a big step for the media to make, and offers some hope that mainstream thinking is less accepting of US intervention than when the war began...

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Nobody referred to the brave Iraqi Soldiers who resisted the initial invasion as terrorists. I actually read an article about that recently, I'll post a link if I can find it. It spoke to the differences between uniformed soldiers and terrorists, and how legitimate soldiers hate the terrorists because they can't distinguish them from civilians. The disdain arrises not from not being able to identify the terrorist, but from not being able to disregard the civilian as a non-combatant. By blending in to the public, the guerrila puts the non-combatant in harms way. Soldiers despise them for that. Uniformed Iraqi soldiers were treated with the utmost respect as POW's.

There's also the little detail about targeting innocent civilians, and the question as to how exactly that promotes the goal of "freedom". Firing mortars into public markets can hardly be defined as an act of resistance. It's terrorism, pure and simple.

Lastly, there's the whole end game comprehension. I don't think anyone in their right mind can compare the American occupation of Iraq with, say, the Nazi occupation of Poland. We all know the Nazi's had no intention of leaving. We all know the Americans can't wait to find a way to leave. That takes a lot of thunder out of the whole "freedom fighter" designation. I believe I posted a link in another thread to an article talking about the goal of the insurgency is to keep the Americans FROM leaving. The Jihadi's want to keep Iraq unstabilized so they can keep their Jihad going. It's lot easier to target Americans in Baghdad than St. Louis.

So, bottom line - yeah, they're terrorists. 8)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Let me ask you this just facts, and make no mistake I do not believe in any kind of killing. But just what kind of weaponery do you expect them to use? In fact making themselves into a bomb seems to be the ulitmate weapon in my view.
Regardless I dream of the day when people will not be doing this kind of thing, until people actually sit down and have real talks it will never stop. They have the ultimate weaponery, no matter where you are, even in the good old US of A, no one will be out of harms way.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
RE: Do The People Of Iraq Have A Right To Resist US Occupati

There is a government in Iraq now, and the people who are blowing things up, don't seem to be concentrating on US soldiers, they are hurting Iraqis, and are obviously trying to keep Iraq unstable, and create a civil war, but they don’t have the supporters.

They murder innocent people (aid workers) and their own innocent people.

I have every faith that once things settle down and there is enough Iraqi police etc, Americans will leave (as I believe they desperately want to) but as Just the Facts points out "The Jihadi's want to keep Iraq unstabilized so they can keep their Jihad going" perhaps to kill Americans, but perhaps to set the stage for Americans not to leave as quickly as Americans want to. Then they can call Americans liars for a prolonged occupation, and to show how Democracy isn't working, and they can start a civil war, and get into power. They obviously aren’t going to get power legitimately.

Therefore the resistance to the occupation is over, and the people who are doing the "resistance’ are terrorists. There are viable ways of solving their issues through political means, but they choose Chaos instead, proving they are terrorists.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

peapod said:
But just what kind of weaponery do you expect them to use? In fact making themselves into a bomb seems to be the ulitmate weapon in my view.

Interestingly enough I never once mentioned suicide (homocide) bombing. 8)

It's not the weaponry, Pea, it's the targeting.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Lastly, there's the whole end game comprehension. I don't think anyone in their right mind can compare the American occupation of Iraq with, say, the Nazi occupation of Poland. We all know the Nazi's had no intention of leaving.

Might be that times have changed in terms of how you keep a country occupied. It seems that many of the insurgents and many on this side of the globe believe that the US has no intention of pulling out. The US citizens and soldiers may leave but some do believe that the US will install puppets to control from afar. They could control Iraq without actually being there.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm

They are insurgents and for once in his life, think not said something right, even if he was being sarcastic. Iraq is having a civil war. A lot of experts on the Middle East said that was a distinct possibility when the US invaded, but the Bush regime doesn't listen to experts...they have faith-based planning.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Does not matter what you call it facts, still does not change the fact that it will never stop, and it will be brought to the americas. You cannot really fight this kind of thing. Call them what you like, cowards, evil, whatever...still won't change anything.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Do The People Of Iraq

Derry McKinney said:
Iraq is having a civil war.

Civil war is definitely a goal of Jihadi's, I agree with that. It would serve their purposes well. They might succeed in instigating one, they might not. Either way, it's not a civil war yet.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm

It isn't a civil war? You have insurgents attacking Iraqi troops, Iraqi police, and Iraqi government buildings every day. The Iraqi government wants to seal off Baghdad to find the enemy.

That's a civil war, Facts.